Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Station standards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think that's such a bad thing. The gas pump has been around for a while and has gone through some design iterations. I see lots of good features here which are common to modern gas pumps.
Got to disagree with you there. The gas pump has evolved into something refined for a three minute fill-up. The intention is that you will stand there for a short while and then move along for the next person in line.

A charging station has to have a smaller footprint so many people can park at their own and leave the car unattended for half an hour or so. They have to be (relatively) inexpensive because turn-over is a lot slower and they'll need more to service people who won't wait for a "pump" to open up. A no bells-and-whistles post design is probably a lot better suited. (IMHO).

Well some of the features I liked were the cord hanging from above (so it doesn't normally touch the ground or the body work) and the familiar credit card payment system. There's something to be said for leveraging consumer experience with an existing system (cf. qwerty keyboards on phones). At any rate I have no moral objection to them resembling gas pumps. There may even be some cost savings if they can share some parts.

Of course I agree, though, that this kind of setup is better for the 10 minutes or less charge. I also think this separate TEPCO system/connector is a bit of a waste given that the Mennekes connector can handle as much power. Yes, a half hour charge is better suited for a parking spot with a pedestal.

Last edited:
CroDriver image from the Geneva Auto Show 2010:
DSC06283.jpg

They seem to be doing some Mini-E trial in Virginia right now.

Personally I don't see the trouble with plugging in a conductive charge wire, and you get better efficiency than anything inductive.

GE ecomagination on the street

http://www.geindustrial.com/products/static/WattStation/

GE’s WattStation™ is an easy-to-use electric vehicle (EV) charger designed to help accelerate the adoption of plug-in electric vehicles (PEV) by significantly decreasing time needed for vehicle charging. Its smart grid-enabled technology could also help utility companies manage the impact of EVs on the local and regional grids.
WattStation-large.jpg

ge-wattstation-side.jpg

GE’s WattStation enables fast level 2 charging at home and on the road. The modular design by renowned industrial designer Yves Behar makes each station future proof, allowing customers to easily upgrade as more communication options become available. This allows customers to stay current with the latest technology in a rapidly changing space, while providing the ability for commercial property owners to qualify for LEED points.

If interested in such things You should probably watch the video.
http://www.ge.com/audio_video/ge/ecomagination/ge_wattstation_charging_the_electric_vehicle.html

http://twitter.com/GE_EV_Charging

I believe the cables should be in the cars. Vandalism is going to be a big problem.
I've always been a believer in "the cable should be on the station". But I see your point. With copper theft, etc these days ...
My initial thought has been, I don't want my cable stolen. But if the cable is locked on both ends while energized (electrocute yourself, you thief!) then I'm game. The Coulomb stations have a locking door. Now all we need is a lock on the car end, and I'll be prepard to bring my own cable !

Wow, I had not thought of Copper theft! That's huge during a depression. There have been reports of roadside phone boxes stripped out for the wire inside. And yes desperate criminals are stupid enough to try even if it's labled 240V.

I just thonk about those old phone booths (if you are old enough to remember them) had indestructible plastic and a metal cord to the phone and they were always destroyed in some way or another when you wanted to use the phone and then you had to hike to the next one. Not so desirable when you are out of charge.

A street side public charger in Santa Monica was recently vandalized. Perhaps when the ICE car got a ticket for parking in that spot the owner drove over the paddle a few times in retaliation.

(can this be a new thread? Charging Stations Cable or no Cable)

I wonder if they could use aluminum instead of copper. Not only is it cheaper but it is half the weight for equivalent conductivity. The wire would need to be 60% thicker but since it would be lighter I don't think that would be a problem. I just don't know if the fact that aluminum is less ductile would prevent it from being used in this application.

I think there would be flex problems over time with aluminum.

I would also be concerned with the increased size issue. Even though my charge cable is roughly equivalent to the size of a gas station filler hose (and a little heavier) I get some women balking at the size of the cable now.