Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Station standards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Less is More: Seven Carmakers Agree on One Standard For EV Fast Charging - Rumor Central
...All seven have agreed on a standardized vehicle inlet and charging connector, along with a common method in which the car communicates with the charging station...
...The agreement is compatible with the J1772 connector standard in the U.S., now used at Level 2 (220V in the U.S.) charging stations...
...However, it’s a different story for Japanese cars such as the Nissan Leaf and the Mitsubishi i, which currently support the CHAdeMO standard for level 3 DC fast charging (anywhere between 300-500 volts). That means owners of Japanese EVs will likely have to use adapters for any quick charging station that isn’t CHAdeMO compatible. Tesla, which created its charging units prior to standardization, also requires an adaptor for any station outside of the automaker’s proprietary connectors for all charge levels (1,2, and 3) for both the Roadster and upcoming Tesla S sedan.
Source: Ford

Last edited:
Is this still current, or now obsolete? :
pc_elektromobilitaet_inlets_zoom.jpg

(Are those DC pins on the Combos the latest / correct versions?)

Last edited:
We do know that some (non DC combo) J1772 EVSEs are already getting installed in Europe
In non-domestic environments very few J1772 Charging Stations are being deployed in Europe. While in the UK we've historically deployed BS1363 "UK Square Pin" with some IEC60309 "commando", we've moved to BS1363 and IEC62196 Type 2 "mennekes" on most new Charging Station installs. This is inline with UK Government policy...

In UK homes however we do see J1772 for two reasons: most UK cars have J1772 as their connector; and a non-shuttered connector like "mennekes" is not legal in homes in some European countries including the UK.

I hope they realize that the sooner ALL of them come to an agreement the better it is for the EV market because of shared infrastructure. What I notice the most about this announcement is that 7 automakers who currently don't sell EVs (but they are coming) agreed on a common standard while the automakers that currently DO sell EVs have not.

...In non-domestic environments very few J1772 Charging Stations are being deployed in Europe...
I do see some in the charge location finder maps, like carstations.com for instance. They mostly seem to be Nissan dealerships with J1772 and in some cases CHAdeMO too. What of Chevy Volt being sold into UK too - will it come with J1772?

I thought I saw one that wasn't a Nissan dealer:
Wessex Garages – Cardiff, UK EV Charging Station
289 Penarth Road
Cardiff, CF11 8TT
Phone: 0844 2473 213
Then I searched and see it is in fact another Nissan location:
Wessex Garages Acquire New Nissan Site | Wessex Garages

Last edited:
So have they really finalized the physical size & location of the DC pins on the combo connector(s) now?
http://www.gaccom.org/fileadmin/ahk...nfoV_Presentations/Lohse-Busch_Smart_Grid.pdf
gdif2.jpg

I gather the decision was to ratify the signaling of those DC pins at the bottom of the 'hybrid' combo connectors.
But looking through images over the past year, I see various different proposals for how to do the physical size and location of those DC pins.
(The ones in the picture above are likely obsolete already.)

Last edited:
So is SAE+IEEE trying to get Europe to adopt J1772 based Combo instead of Combo 2?
SAE/IEEE J1772 Enhanced PHEV/BEV Combo Solution – Charging with Smartgrid Support - CleanMPG Forums
...SAE/IEEE Combo with Quick Charging and SmartGrid Interconnectivity
The in-development SAE J1772 “combo solution” would take another step toward stabilizing and unifying the global market for manufacturers of BEVs/PHEVs. The standard is planned to enable both AC and DC Level 1 and faster, Level 2 charging all via a single vehicle inlet for the first time. Manufacturers would be able to leverage one coupler in EVs/PHEVs for all markets, regardless of the differences in electrical systems and charging locations from country to country. Integrating the different types of charging functionality would also greatly enhance the convenience of operating such a vehicle...
...They want a global marketplace with no boundaries, and IEEE and SAE International are global organizations that are known for producing globally relevant standards...
...If the new “Combo” standards are being developed in order to strand current Level 3 Charging technology and standards to slow the pace of the Japanese DC Level 3 CHAdeMO charger standard or the European’s Level 1 and 2 IEC 62196-2, too bad for us...

I do see some in the charge location finder maps, like carstations.com for instance. They mostly seem to be Nissan dealerships with J1772 and in some cases CHAdeMO too.
yep, some of the dealerships are fitting J1772 alongside the CHAdeMO... some are not... these are not really public locations though - only open business hours and priority given to dealer charging requirements...

What of Chevy Volt being sold into UK too - will it come with J1772
yes, the UK version (Vauxhall Ampera) will have J1772 at launch although I've been told that it 'may' have "mennekes" in future.... not sure abaout the Opel version in mainland Europe...

Another old one:
http://mydocs.epri.com/docs/publicmeetingmaterials/1012/46NWTEDLUQG/E235519_PEV_Codes_Standards_Day_1.pdf
“Hybrid” Coupler Design
  • Working with CARMEQ (Audi, BMW, Daimler, Porsche, Volkswagen) to provide Working Draft (WD) of IEC 62196-3 and related documents by January 15, 2011
  • Combine AC L1, L2 and DC L1, L2 in one coupler.
  • Add DC pins, 200 amp capacity
  • Provide provision for 2 optional data pins (plan to remove once communications strategy is resolved)
  • Reuse ground, control pilot and proximity circuit pins from AC L1, L2
  • Working Draft (WD) will include use of either IEC Type 1 (SAE J1772™) or Type 2 (Mennekes) “core”
  • DC and communication pins as well as other necessary feature locations will be harmonized
  • Strategy maximizes commonality between SAE and IEC DC L2 hybrid couplers
That "in one coupler" probably should be qualified into "in one coupler for each global region."

To answer some of TEG's questions. Yes the proposed form factors for the combo connectors have evolved over time. You can see some different iterations in this thread. I believe the two I posted above are the final versions.

"GB Standard":

(who intends to use that?)
Those are Chinese connectors with their own signaling and what not. I doubt anyone outside of China has plans to use them.
GB stands for Guojia Biaozhun (国家标准) which is Chinese for National Standard. Its scope is wider than just charge connectors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guobiao