Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Station standards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeeargh. I can see why Tesla just invented their own plug. Again. (Though they really ought to have invented one which was three-phase capable.)

What I want to see are the "adapters" which Tesla has promised which aren't cables, the ones which will allow J1772 and Chademo (and if they have any sense Mennekes (sp) ) to connect to the Tesla port. Without cables. Hmm.

...What I want to see are the "adapters" which Tesla has promised which aren't cables, the ones which will allow J1772 and Chademo (and if they have any sense Mennekes (sp) ) to connect to the Tesla port. Without cables. Hmm.

I think for UMC2 it will have some wall plug end with snap in adapters for NEMA plug ends (like 14-50, 10-30, etc.)
For J1772, I think it will be a car side adapter, no UMC2 required, that locks to the car socket and then has a J1772 socket on the other side.
For CHAdeMO...???...Not even sure they plan to do it...

I wonder if Model S will let you drive it with the charge flap open and a J1772 adapter installed?
It would look really dorky that way, but you wouldn't have to keep re-installing the adapter.

Last edited:
seven carmakers in Europe - Audi, BMW, Daimler, Ford, General Motors, Porsche and Volkswagen
?????????
Audi , Porsche and VW is ONE automaker!!!!!!!
So only 5 support the new standard!

Else you could say "Renault , Nissan , Infinity, Samsung (making the renault 4x4 and the safrane), Dacia, Mitsubischi , Peugeot and Citroen support Chademo!!!!!" Which are EIGHT carmakers who sell also in Europe!
But actually are only 3 automakers!

I wonder if Model S will let you drive it with the charge flap open and a J1772 adapter installed?
It would look really dorky that way, but you wouldn't have to keep re-installing the adapter.

Extremely unlike, for safety reasons. If they did that, someone will drive off with the cable attached... or worse, plugged in.

That's why the Roadster prevents operating the car with the charge port door open.

Odd to see a Tesla branded Mennekes box.

product_01_1.jpg

Interesting: Now that they are making higher power Level 2, but now what's the point if the Model S can accept only 10KW? I don't think that many will opt for the 2nd onboard charger to be able to utilize it all...

That might be too early to predict. Besides, Signature Model S might come with 2nd charger (=20kW) automatically included?

I hope they realize that the sooner ALL of them come to an agreement the better it is for the EV market because of shared infrastructure. What I notice the most about this announcement is that 7 automakers who currently don't sell EVs (but they are coming) agreed on a common standard while the automakers that currently DO sell EVs have not.

Well, for all we know, the basic point of the new "standard" is to slow down EV adoption.

Not sure about EU - but in the US - first movers have very large advantage. Afterall, we still use Imperial over Metric :rolleyes: