Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Station standards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At Alt Car Expo this weekend the floor was filled with chargers.

For the home you could buy (prices from memory)

Clipper Creek $3K or $2,200 if your are a member of EAA
clippercreekchargestation.png

Charge Point $1,500
ChargePoint_charging_station_wall_mount.263w_350h.jpg

Aero Enviroment
$1,800
aerovironment_evse_rs.jpg

Ecotality
$1,500
489468.1.jpg

and the new guys going for a realistic price.
EVCA Electric Vehicle Charge America EVCA
$680
Charge@Home_Final.jpg

The GE Wattstation was not there. (though I'm seeing the commercial a lot)
images

I'm sad about Clipper Creek. They were Tesla's choice (though probably not too many to choose from back then) and now they are loosing big contracts to all the new suppliers with flashier devices and sexier industrial design. I get the impression they are a bunch of engineers in a world of businesses that are smart enough to hire real product designers and savvy marketing gurus. Their tank-like devices were the most expensive at the show and the most boring.

Are we comparing apples with apples? Some are 40A, is Clipper Creek's?

At Alt Car Expo this weekend the floor was filled with chargers.

For the home you could buy (prices from memory)

Aero Enviroment
$1,800
aerovironment_evse_rs.jpg
I think $1,800 for the AV unit is incorrect. Should be $721+$50 shipping. At least that's what LEAF buyers are being told ... they can refuse the $2,200++ estimates for installed units and be put on a list for that price for just the EVSE.

I think $1,800 for the AV unit is incorrect. Should be $721+$50 shipping. At least that's what LEAF buyers are being told ... they can refuse the $2,200++ estimates for installed units and be put on a list for that price for just the EVSE.

I'm happy to be corrected. I just walked up and asked how much? maybe I got the non-LEAF price...

Still could be wrong though.

Siemans Eletromobility

Siemens Energy, Inc. launches today its new product line of EV charging stations, which includes solutions for residential, public and commercial applications, including integration into the Smart Grid. Siemens' portfolio of EV charging stations offer safe, highly reliable plug-in EV charging for electric vehicle manufacturers, municipalities, corporations, fleets, utilities and residential customers. The easy-to-use stations provide multiple power options, integrated aesthetics and ergonomics with ruggedized construction.

Siemens' UL listed electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) line includes wall-mountable, community multi-level and community multi-level II models. The company's wall-mountable charging station is a 7.2-kW single-output station designed for residential and light commercial applications. Siemens' public outdoor charging stations will be available in single Level II and multi-level designs. The multi-level charging stations incorporate a dual power output configuration, allowing both Level I and Level II outputs to deliver energy simultaneously.

Can't find a picture of it but there is this cool looking smart grid video http://www.energy.siemens.com/hq/en/power-distribution/e-car.htm

Edit: Picture on ABG
6a00d8341c4fbe53ef0133f5035a70970b-800wi-1287872219.png

Last edited:
If you don't like conspiracy theories, you probably don't want to Google terms like Stuxnet, & SCADA, and associate them with infrastructure disasters (including natural gas lines unexpectedly bursting and various power outages.)

Centralized control of grid, and other energy distribution has a potential dark side which could probably be summed up by watching the Terminator movies.

Looking ahead, it's obvious that the place for fast chargers is at gas stations. There vandalism will not be a problem. Slow public chargers will
become obsolete so soon that installing them these days is mostly pure politics or PR. Slow chargers at places of work probably make sense,
but I wouldn't expect those locations to be public.

Agree Doug...Starbucks, Tim Hortons, malls and restaurants to name a few would all seem more logical choices for a 45-60 minute quick charge than an urban gas station...what the hell are you going to do at a gas station for an hour (other than step in grime, listen to the owners of ICE vehicles complain about the high cost of gasoline, and offer faux sympathy :wink::biggrin: )

I dunno, I think the best place would be near the front door of a restaurant. That would (a) bring in road-trip EV customers, and (b) greatly lessen the chances of vandalism.

Last edited:
Agree Doug...Starbucks, Tim Hortons, malls and restaurants to name a few would all seem more logical choices for a 45-60 minute quick charge than an urban gas station...what the hell are you going to do at a gas station for an hour (other than step in grime, listen to the owners of ICE vehicles complain about the high cost of gasoline, and offer faux sympathy :wink::biggrin: )

I don't know about Canada, but most of the majors' petrol stations in the UK will sell coffee and snacks, and many have seating and free wifi. I'm not talking about dedicated motorway service areas, just those on the major routes.

My local BP station, for example, is also an M&S convenience food store, and I think sells Costa coffee.

Nik

Some of our gas stations have those amenities here as well Nik, however, urban gas stations generally have no seating, and certainly no WiFi.

Many of the bigger gas stations on the major highways have a coffee shop or chain fast food restaurant incorporated in their "rest stops"...I've not seen one yet with WiFi, but there very well may be a few out there.

My comments were directed more at the city gas stations...even with food or coffee "on the go", these are still not places where I'd prefer to hang around for an hour...rather be able to go to a proper restaurant, coffee shop or a mall...jmo.

I don't know about Canada, but most of the majors' petrol stations in the UK will sell coffee and snacks, and many have seating and free wifi. I'm not talking about dedicated motorway service areas, just those on the major routes.

My local BP station, for example, is also an M&S convenience food store, and I think sells Costa coffee.

Nik