Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging the Roadster - EU Style

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good idea, especially for me living near to the NL-border :). You could crosscheck them with http://www.lemnet.org, perhaps they are already there.

Oh well, I live in Zeeland at the coast, so you could make the trip there with your Tesla. We also have two private 32A charging stations which are open to visitors! There is even a electrical scooter you can take while your Tesla is charging.

But making pictures of the 3-phase wall connectors is just too prove how much there are. I found 2 3x32A connectors today. I'll make a blogpost in a few weeks with all my findings.

Hi Widodh,

You're right I was taking a wrong turn on Voltage here. Even better supporting case for 3-1 phase conversion :)
But my question remains. Is there anybody out there that has tried or done anything in this direction?

No problem :) But my question is the same as yours!

i would prefer to use an internal 3-phase charger. I do not want to carry a 140kg 3-1phase-transformer which may deliver 3x32A at 230V = 96A (Roadster can only do 70A)
Yes, it should be build into the car somewhere.

Btw, I just found: http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/charging/products/high-power-connector

Tesla Shop said:
Currently the High Power Wall Connector is only available in North America. We are working on developing a unit for all other markets. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Don't know how long that has been there?

I think the Tesla online store is misleading. The HPWC is clearly available at least in the UK because some owners have bought it.

Also if you believed the online store then there is no universal mobile connector in Europe - but it is available.

In fact there would be no charging solution for Europe at all - yet we all charge our cars!

While I think we all agree with Eberhard that the Roadster should natively accept 3-phase from the wall, today it doesn't, and it may never. Hopefully Eberhard and others can press upon Elon at the Milan customer meeting how much we want this (a Mennekes socket on European cars, accompanied by a European 3-phase UMC would be ideal).

Meanwhile there are several ways to take 3-phase and feed 1-phase to the current car charger. The trick is to make a small, portable decide. I think it could be sourced, if enough people agree to buy (via a group buy). Could you indicate:
1. If you would buy
2. What max fraction of the trunk you could accept it taking up
3. What max weight penalty you would accept
4. What is the max price you would pay
5. If you would use it only for static application (e.g. At own garage)

My answers:
1. Yes
2. 30%
3. 60kg
4. £1500
5. No - mobile

i would prefer to use an internal 3-phase charger. I do not want to carry a 140kg 3-1phase-transformer which may deliver 3x32A at 230V = 96A (Roadster can only do 70A)

100 % agreed, and even if you would accept a transformer you would still have no connector for the Roadster. They do not sell it seperately, may be you could use the spare adapter from the US Tesla Store and cut off the line, but I'm not sure if you can dismantle the connector.
A while ago I asked Mennekes for an adaptor Mennekes <=> Tesla Roadster, they are working on that but no product yet.
They now have their own Roadster, this might improve things...:smile:

100 % agreed, and even if you would accept a transformer you would still have no connector for the Roadster. They do not sell it seperately, may be you could use the spare adapter from the US Tesla Store and cut off the line, but I'm not sure if you can dismantle the connector.
A while ago I asked Mennekes for an adaptor Mennekes <=> Tesla Roadster, they are working on that but no product yet.
They now have their own Roadster, this might improve things...:smile:

The connector can be dismantled. The problem is that the wires are crimped into the pins of the connector and therefore cannot be easily changed. You will have to buy the $1500 mobile connector to get wires rated to 70A.
Pictures of the connector tear down here: http://wegmuller.org/v-web/gallery/MC120TearDown (the gallery has two pages).

If it definitely supplies 70 A then that answers my question, thanks.

Do you know the reason it is 64A?

I think it's a typo, should be 60 A. Normal house installation in Germany is 3 x 400 V @ 63 A, and the HPC isn't a 3 phase to 1 phase transformer or I'm wrong here ?
The sales people in Munich told me, they could switch it to 60 A max. I don't own one.

Only in industrial areas you could get the max. of 70 A