Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging through a doorway from another room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to charge a few times a month at a location where the only 240V outlet is in the laundry room just inside of the garage. I'd like to keep the door closed to keep out critters, and also hot/cold air. The only thing I can think of is a small pet door at waist level with a sliding cover that can be put in place when not in use. Anyone have a better idea? Putting an outlet in the garage is not an option.

20180818_215626.jpg

I would look at taking the threshold on the bottom of the door right off and see if the cable fits under it. Then just install a larger sweep to fill the extra gap.

I can park my car outside my garage door and close the door on the cable without even knowing it was under the door. The larger sweeps hide allot.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
I need to charge a few times a month at a location where the only 240V outlet is in the laundry room just inside of the garage. I'd like to keep the door closed to keep out critters, and also hot/cold air. The only thing I can think of is a small pet door at waist level with a sliding cover that can be put in place when not in use. Anyone have a better idea? Putting an outlet in the garage is not an option.

View attachment 326974
Is this a permanent long term solution you are looking for? Can you take a picture of the wall inside the door on the hinge side? How far is it from the outlet to the door frame?

I have a similar setup for occasional use and I decided not to modify the door as it would affect its fire rating. I just keep the door cracked open and the garage roll-up door closed, and we don’t leave the house while the car is plugged in.

No easy solution. Garage doors require closers and weatherstripping to keep car fumes out of the house. Also, there fire rating issues. Any permanent modification to the door is probably a bad idea. Even the RV passthrough mentioned should only be installed to the outside, not into the house.

No easy solution. Garage doors require closers and weatherstripping to keep car fumes out of the house. Also, there fire rating issues. Any permanent modification to the door is probably a bad idea. Even the RV passthrough mentioned should only be installed to the outside, not into the house.

If it's only an electric vehicle then you dont need to worry about fumes. As long as no flammable material is stored in the garage it shouldn't need to be fire rated. IE. Lawnmower, Gas ect. Not saying it isn't by code. But if it's only an electric vehicle stored in the garage the rules really are different. I know some might argue that the battery could catch fire, and there are known cases of this. But let's not forget we have batteries on almost everything else in the house.

Charging through a doorway from another room

Good manners count.

Whether it’s through the pet door or any other, whenever the dogs charge through, they’re told “SLOW!!!!!”
My first thought on reading the headline was, "uh oh, someone's had an 'unintended acceleration' event and there will be photos of a Model 3 sitting in their living room with splintered wood around the doorway they plowed through." Fortunately the reality is very different, and I suspect any dogs in the vicinity are very well behaved.

Words have power, people! I charge you all to remember that. ;)

If it's only an electric vehicle then you dont need to worry about fumes. As long as no flammable material is stored in the garage it shouldn't need to be fire rated. IE. Lawnmower, Gas ect. Not saying it isn't by code. But if it's only an electric vehicle stored in the garage the rules really are different. I know some might argue that the battery could catch fire, and there are known cases of this. But let's not forget we have batteries on almost everything else in the house.
Actually, the RULES are not different. Maybe they should be, although building codes can't assume that you'll only ever have an electric car. Also, it sounds like the OP is a visitor at this site, so there's probably other cars in there usually.