Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging while renting (quick220)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I just wanted to post a quick video of me rambling (sorry lol) about charging while being a renter and using a quick220 to charge faster. Its about my volt, but will apply to my upcoming model 3. Hope it helps anyone who needs it. Ill be posting lots more volt/ev/tech videos so stay tuned for more. Sorry i suck at speaking lol, but thanks again.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I just wanted to post a quick video of me rambling (sorry lol) about charging while being a renter and using a quick220 to charge faster. Its about my volt, but will apply to my upcoming model 3. Hope it helps anyone who needs it. Ill be posting lots more volt/ev/tech videos so stay tuned for more. Sorry i suck at speaking lol, but thanks again.

Thanks!
Thanks for this. I think this device can help a lot of people. I could probably have used it a few times.

Just to clear something up -- there are no 110v circuits and have not been since the 1930's. The device takes two 120v circuits and combines them into one 240v circuit.

I would have a lot more confidence in the device if it were named "Quick240". Quick220 does not instill my confidence in their electrical expertise.:confused:

Also. aren't their some restrictions on using the device on GFCI outlets, which are now required in garages?

thanks! its really saved me a lot of time charging.

Yes 120v is correct, its just what everyone in my area has always said so its still stuck in my brain i guess. lol. we use it interchangeably here in canada and honestly a lot of voltage here is 110 - 115 anyway.

not sure about the gfci in garages, but as far as i know in my area, its not the case. only outdoors and exposed to weather has to have them here.

• Disagree
Reactions: Matsayz and Troy
thanks! its really saved me a lot of time charging.

Yes 120v is correct, its just what everyone in my area has always said so its still stuck in my brain i guess. lol. we use it interchangeably here in canada and honestly a lot of voltage here is 110 - 115 anyway.

not sure about the gfci in garages, but as far as i know in my area, its not the case. only outdoors and exposed to weather has to have them here.
NEC code in the US has required GFCI in garages since 1978. You are correct that it is not a requirement in Canada, but it is recommended, so you may still need to be aware of the limitations. Quick 220 will trip GFCI outlets. Soooo, the utility of this device is limited, since one would normally need to run the cables into the house to make it work. Not a deal-breaker, but maybe the $225 would be better spent elsewhere. It certainly is just what you needed! I would get one if it were less expensive. Looks like a good addition to the complete charging adapter kit.

Reactions: coconutboy84
ah good to know! ive been pretty lucky here not running into a gfci socket....the quick220 automatically recognizes it and wont power on anyway. luckily my new place is ready in a month and a half and im getting my tesla hpwc installed and using an adapter in the meantime. ill post another video about that for sure.

• Disagree
Reactions: Matsayz and Troy
ah good to know! ive been pretty lucky here not running into a gfci socket....the quick220 automatically recognizes it and wont power on anyway. luckily my new place is ready in a month and a half and im getting my tesla hpwc installed and using an adapter in the meantime. ill post another video about that for sure.
Hello Yaar
@coconutboy84 I read your post with much interest. I am interested in Q220. are you still using yours ? how well has it held up ?

@ everyone else, having a GFCI in garage is required per US code, but one can usually find non GFCI outlet where the garage door opened is plugged in, most people forget that.