Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with a gas generator?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ordered the truck but have a question . We will be camping with the truck for extended periods and wonder if you can charge the truck with a standard gas generator (220VAC)? The sine wave output isn't nearly as clean as house current. Will Tesla's electronics allow this?
Anyone try this with their Tesla?

I have ordered the truck but have a question . We will be camping with the truck for extended periods and wonder if you can charge the truck with a standard gas generator (220VAC)? The sine wave output isn't nearly as clean as house current. Will Tesla's electronics allow this?
How practical would that be? 5 gallons of gasoline x 30% efficiency of motor x 90% efficiency of generator x 87% efficiency of on board charger = 1.175 equivalent gallons = 43 kWh. Much better than I had supposed it would be.

• Funny
Reactions: ebmcs03

Sure. But you’d need one heck a large generator running potentially for a long time. Watch out for ones with “floating neutral”, might not like that. You might consider a propane one. They run longer, cleaner and quieter. But you may need a permit to carry enough. Note also runtime on generators are typically rated for partial load, like 25%. My 3000 watt, 100lb generator runs 18hr’s at 25%. That’s about 7 miles / hr in a Model 3. Probaby half that for a Cyberctruck. So 4 hr’s all out would get you 5 miles range. so maybe a generator twice the size could add 200 miles in 24 hr’s full out. I think it would take 200lbs of propane.

How practical would that be? 5 gallons of gasoline x 30% efficiency of motor x 90% efficiency of generator x 87% efficiency of on board charger = 1.175 equivalent gallons = 43 kWh. Much better than I had supposed it would be.

Yesterday I used my Tesla as a variable test load for a new 8kW (propane) generator.
9DC41EDD-3BFA-493B-B46E-3C479130CF2C.jpeg
D9BC85BB-90DF-4D58-9DA6-BA40C6B29539.jpeg

Yesterday I used my Tesla as a variable test load for a new 8kW (propane) generator. View attachment 480959View attachment 480960

Is that an inverting generator? Bet ya it goes through a 20lb tank every 2 hrs at full load. So you are talking 5 20lb tanks for a serious charge session (on a Model S). The Cybertruck will likely be less efficient (depending on trim). Notice they hid the wh/mi in all the rides. Probably cruising at 500 wh/mi.

EDIT: 5.0hrs 50% load for 8000watt Champion generator. So 2.5hrs at full load. I was close.

Doing a reverse calculation from the solar option EM mentioned, given we know the car areas for PV, CT should be using around 330Wh/mile. Don't ask me how.

What you need is a DC generator to increase the efficiency, like the Polar ones, and get one that either fits in the frunk or under the bed. 30% efficiency is a bit high for a small motor though, lets call it 25% or around 350ml/kWh. So about 11kWh a gallon. Worth it IMHO. Need an internal connector somewhere.

Is that an inverting generator? Bet ya it goes through a 20lb tank every 2 hrs at full load. So you are talking 5 20lb tanks for a serious charge session (on a Model S). The Cybertruck will likely be less efficient (depending on trim). Notice they hid the wh/mi in all the rides. Probably cruising at 500 wh/mi.

EDIT: 5.0hrs 50% load for 8000watt Champion generator. So 2.5hrs at full load. I was close.
Close to the published rating. I do have a few 40 pound tanks. I didn’t buy it to charge my Tesla, haha. With our frequent PG&E power shutdowns whenever it gets windy in CA is why. The Tesla is just a convenient programmable load test fixture.

Reactions: mswlogo
Close to the published rating. I do have a few 40 pound tanks. I didn’t buy it to charge my Tesla, haha. With our frequent PG&E power shutdowns whenever it gets windy in CA is why. The Tesla is just a convenient programmable load test fixture.

Understood.

Just letting OP know how much "stuff" he'd have to carry camping to charge his Tesla, once.
I'm sure that 8000W generator is no lightweight either.

The 20Lb tanks are like 4 gallons at around $3.00 a gallon. Probably ~70 lbs to fill Model S with 200 miles. ~$40.00.
Not bad considering how crazy inefficient it is.

Reactions: Mach Schnell!
Solar panels only work if the sun is shining for enough of the day, and you are stationary long enough to use them. In winter they barely work at all on a overcast day.

There is nothing inherently "wrong" with using a biofuel source for power provided it's a sustainable one. Tesla objectives, or directives are not law, and once purchased the vehicle can be used as the customer wishes without Telas approval. The worst they can do is not cover it under warranty.

Technically there is no difference to the power coming out of the socket, provided you have a half decent generator, and they would never know. Another way to do it is use a range extending trailer, that is powered by a ICE, or for that matter get a tow from any ICE car with the CT in regen. Has been proven to work, and is not even that bad efficiency wise. (once again Tesla won't be able to tell that from braking or going down a hill)

Idea of using a gas generator to charge Tesla is against their prime objective.

It has been reported that the Truck will have an optional Solar Roof, with 15-20 miles added per day.

Be better off bringing along additional solar panels than a generator and fuel.
I don't care why Tesla's objectives are; if I am out in a remote area, I'm gonna do what I need to make sure I get back. If that is a gas genny, so be it.