Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Woes.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had Model 3 for 3 weeks now and love the car....however my charging issues continue to plague my overall experience of the Tesla.

I had Rolec unit installed at home.....all checked out fine upon install. However upon getting car home 1st day and trying to charge the charger would start/stop go up to 32A, then drop to 0, then back to 16A - stay there, then cut off after about 10 minutes. Tried for a few days and this continued.

Installers agreed to swap the unit out as they couldn't find any initial faults so thought it might be a faulty unit.

Just had my Rolec swapped out for a new one Rolec.

New unit (Rolec) - same issues happening.

Electrician is stumped as everything is fine, earth readings are very low and under tolerance etc.

So trying to narrow down the issues.

• Charging on rapid CCS chargers 50kw DC (one Insta volt and one public chargeplace scotland) - Zero issues, full speed no interruptions - 2 separate places.
  • Public chargeplace scotland Type 2 cables - 2 separate locations - they start a full speed but then I get a warning saying "charging speed reduced - contact Tesla ". It continues to charge uninterrupted but slower than standard speeds
  • Home 3 pin 13A Telsa charger - charges for about 20/25 minutes at a time - then suddenly stops, I need to then restart via app, same thing - rinse and repeat. So I can't leave it overnight charging as it stops after 20 minutes or so.
  • Rolec - both units (one tethered, one untethered) start charging up to 32A, then stop and drop to 0A, then go up to 16A or so, but again after 5/10 minutes stop charging
I have booked a provisional service appointment in Edinburgh but first appointment isn't till the 29th October....

I have spoke via text to Servicing/Techinical team. However, they wanted response via text..... They asked for times/date for charging, which units I've tried and used, whether AC/DC etc, along with other details of how long it charges for, what happens etc.

Hard work trying to put that all into a text message and send it over. Email would be easier, speaking to someone would be a novel idea as well!!

Anyway - Sent all the details to them, and despite using 4 different public chargers, they are blaming a "power surge" at my home address for the issues.

Clearly that's not the case as I have issues with public charging on AC as well.....

They are suggesting I need to call an electrician out to review my home wiring - They are utterly ignoring the fact I have similar charging issues on public chargers!!!

All the text messages back and forward are ridiculous way of trying to solve the problems.

Anyone any ideas??

I'm off to try another public chargers and a friends Rolec at his home just now - if it's the same problems still then CLEARLY it's not my home that's the issue!!

A change of the cable and plug on the ROLEC we have fixed intermittent charging problems. But our problems were only at home using that combo. No problems with the UMC cable or any other charger. So maybe it's the other way around for you and the socket in the car is dodgy?

Reactions: Roy W.
"Anyone any ideas??"

Perhaps a local fellow Tesla owner could volunteer to come to your place and see if your replacement Rolec charger works okay with their car? That would help to narrow down the problem and also add weight to your response to Tesla that they need to seriously look at your car as the possible problem?

If you lived near me I would be more than happy to help, but sadly I am down south between Hampshire and Heathrow.

Any volunteers?

Based on the cases you've described, the one common point is the onboard AC charger unit on the car.

If CCS (DC) and Supercharger (DC) works fine, there's nothing wrong with the connector or the actual battery.

If only the Rolec caused the issue, it would be home supply or the Rolec. If the Rolec and the UMC at home caused the issue but the UMC or other Type-2 charger didn't, it would be a home supply issue.

But you've described issues with UMC, Rolec and Type-2 (AC) charging away from home. The only piece of the puzzle common to all those scenarios is the car's onboard AC charger.

Time to engage Tesla Service, I think.

Thanks gents - after running around this morning - here are the findings.

Public 22kw AC charger – location 1 - 9.48 to 9.57am. Same issues, runs for 2 minutes or so at full speed then comes up with “Charging speed reduced, unplug and try again” – charging speed drops to half speed and stays there.

Public 50kw DC CCS charger – location 2 10.05 to 10.27am – full speed, no interuptions, no issues.

Public AC charger – location 3 - 10.38am to 10.47am - same issues – full speed for a couple of minutes then drops to half charging speed and stays there.

Drove to a friends house who has a Rolec charger and has used this for 3 years on 2 different cars with zero issues. Tried type 2 tethered cable. Same issues again – 11.04am to 11.30am – jumps to 32A initially but quickly resets and starts again at 0amps and then will only go up to 16A and stays there.

I think this is a fairly clear indication that it’s nothing to do with power surges as suggested by Tesla - I’ve used 4 separate chargers this morning, all 3 AC chargers at different locations do not/will not charge at full amps/speed. The DC charger again works perfectly without any issues.

Overall I think that’s 6 public chargers, 3 home chargers and 3 pin plug at my home that all have issues, 3 separate DC CCS chargers all work perfectly.

Clearly an AC charging issue. Await the updates from Tesla. Service centre is 70 miles away from me

Just updating for anyone interested.

Chased Tesla again this morning.

I asked that a phone call or email would be more useful that Texting backwards and forwards.

Response (via text:()

"We are still investigating and I have escalated the case for a second opinion and can see that it was picked up this morning. Next steps are likely to be testing on site. I will of course order any parts in to reduce the time the potential repair takes"

No idea whether that means my house or Service centre. (the site comment) and the fact they are mentioning parts surely means there is an issue.

All very frustrating when I've done most of the "testing" for them by using multiple chargers, public, AC/DC etc

• Informative
Reactions: NorfolkMustard
I have escalated the case for a second opinion

I've done most of the "testing" for them by using multiple chargers, public, AC/DC

FWIW All of that will have been logged at Tesla HQ, from your car, so the service staff will be able to see that raw data, and use that to diagnose the problem. Might be that your Support Person can't do that, so basically "knows nothing" until the diagnostic bod up-stream does an investigation and reports back ... sounds like work has started so:

<FingersCrossed> :)

Reactions: booyaka76
Another 48 hours passes and no updates or contact.

Tesla servicing are saying they can't call me (they have no phones!!!!), everything is via text which is ridiculous. They won't email me either.

The only public 50kw DC charger within 15 miles of me is broken so I'm currently having to use Instavolt at 35p per kw up the road as the only proper/consistent charger that I can use!!!

This is BONKERS!!! Totally and utterly ridiculous.......

AC charging on public chargers is so slow it's pathetic - AC 22kw public charger showing last night 4.5 hours to add 25% battery!!!

Got 150 mile round trip to do tomorrow and I'll need to spend another £10 or something on Instavolt.

Genuinely about to loose my S**T with them......

Doesn't help you much but what app(s) are you using to see where chargers are?

Morrisons have been adding rapid chargers quite intensively recently, neither of my two local stores show up on Zap-Map, and I had to add one of them myself to PlugShare.

£1.00 + 0.30p p/kWh, not much better than what you've got but still.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
neither of my two local stores show up on Zap-Map, and I had to add one of them myself to PlugShare.

Once reasonable saturation is reached seems the Crowd Sourced Nerds stop topping up the data.

Tesla (all EVs?) could log where people stop to charge ... as could TeslaFi and all other such APPs. Anyone moving the car a bit and then charging would indicate possible fault

Simpels eh? Thus probably "no chance" ...

Doesn't help you much but what app(s) are you using to see where chargers are?

Morrisons have been adding rapid chargers quite intensively recently, neither of my two local stores show up on Zap-Map, and I had to add one of them myself to PlugShare.

£1.00 + 0.30p p/kWh, not much better than what you've got but still.

zapmap/plugshare/wattsup/chargepointscotland

Local free 50kw DC charger is broken and has been for 3/4 weeks now - it's been reported numerous times but still not sorted.

‘AC supply at fault’ seems a recurrent SC idea. It might make sense in rural areas or the USA. But I expect that UK supplies are precisely regulated in urban areas and unlikely to be the cause of charging problems with EVs.

Sounds like you tried the 3-pin adapter elsewhere. And your extensive experience with public AC chargers suggests that your car is the common problem.

Hopefully the service centre can help you in the same way they did me. They did something with the charging harness and since then our model 3 has charged well with our Rolec charger. Model 3 + Rolec —> interrupted charging?

Last edited:
Reactions: booyaka76
‘AC supply at fault’ seems a recurrent SC idea. It might make sense in rural areas or the USA. But I expect that UK supplies are precisely regulated in urban areas and unlikely to be the cause of charging problems with EVs.

Sounds like you tried the 3-pin adapter elsewhere. And your extensive experience with public AC chargers suggests that your car is the common problem.

Hopefully the service centre can help you in the same way they did me. They did something with the charging harness and since then our model 3 has charged well with our Rolec charger. Model 3 + Rolec —> interrupted charging?

yeah - fingers crossed - it's clearly an AC fault in the car as I've tried 3 Rolec chargers (2 at my own home, one at a friends) - numerous (at least 6 or 7 public AC chargers) - all of which drop to less than half speed after a minute or so.

2 public DC chargers and 1 Instavolt DC charger - ZERO issues - all run full speed without interruptions.

Assuming the loaner is a Tesla, If I can test that on my home ROLEC and it charges fine, then that's the final nail in the coffin for some kind of AC charging fault in the car.

Going in tomorrow for investigation however got this via text this morning

£2500 excess on a loan car from Tesla whilst mine is being worked on in the Service centre, along with £100 a day charge if you can't return it within 24 hours of your notice of completion!! Holy cow!!!

Any pointers where to insure the excess or look for short term policy? I've no idea at this stage how long my car will be in for..... AC charging issues.