Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Charlotte, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still no sign of a permit being pulled, so this one is probably still months away. That said, you should be able to get to Fort Mill from Durham easily, even without stopping in Burlington.
is it possible that supercharger could be located in Gastonia instead of clt. The dot on the map looks like it may have moved a little west of clt.

Looks like the new supercharger will be in NE CLT (Mallard Creek Rd @ Mallard Creek Church Rd/Prosperity Church Rd) according to this permit WebPermit 6.3.0.5 - Project

Wow, 2720 WMALLARD CREEK CHURCH RD, CHARLOTTE, NC is an interesting location... Oh well, nice distances from Burlington, NC and Greenville, SC. Hopefully Greenville, SC will get going again soon.

I have heard from a reliable source that Auburn, AL, Greenville, AL, and Mobile, AL are in the near future on I-85. That will complete I-85 all the way to the Gulf!

When Atlanta comes to be, it will become the Supercharger crossroads of the South!

Nice find. Looks like this is the Cochran Commons shopping center:

Cochran Commons | Charlotte Retail Space for Rent and Restaurant Space for Lease

A some places to eat include McAlister's Deli, Firehouse Subs, Farmer's BBQ, and Cafeccino Coffee. There is also a Harris Teeter which are usually open 24 hours that would be a good place to use the restrooms late.

I used to live up there, the amenities are great - no complaints there, just didn't expect the SC to be installed there. I was expecting a more central location between I-85 and I-77 near I-485 (so I thought it would be somewhere in the Steel Creek area [SW CLT] - maybe new premium outlets place... still think that would be a great location for a second SC ... and no, I do not live near the Steel Creek area.)

Excellent! Can you get us some "before" pictures?

Atlanta-area Tesla owners are extremely interested in this site because it would finally, barely, enable 85 kWh cars to reach the northeast corridor on supercharging. Currently they have to stop somewhere for several hours (Greenville, typically) to make it to the Burlington superchargers. The Greenville supercharging site was supposed to take care of this, but got half built and then fell through due to landowner squabbling. Charlotte would enable 85 kWh cars to barely make it, and 60 kWh cars would need to stop for just ~2 hours instead of ~6.

Last edited:
Great to hear they may get this up and running soon. I live in Roanoke, VA and this SC is essential for me to go anywhere south. Burlington out of the way for trip to Atlanta. Greenville & Commerce GA means don't have to drive 60 MPH all the way. Anyone know where the Commerce SC will be? Near the Tanger outlet mall would be nice. Now if I could convince Tesla to put some SCs along I-81.

Hey guys. I live about ten miles from this supercharger, so I should be able to get pretty frequent updates for you on this location. I'm working hard in my life, and hope that one day I will be able to use it!

After my visit to the Cochan Center yesterday, there only seems to be three spots that a charging site could be installed:
possible cochran center locations.jpg

(notice my mad MS Paint skills)

A. There are lots of open spots here, but the entire area seems to belong to CVS. And CVS has a different address than the one in the permit.
B. This seems like the most likely spot. This seems to be the only spot where ICEing and lease issues do not exist.
C. ICEing would be a huge issue here. Lots of ppl park here to go to Cold Stone and Jason's Deli.

Took some photos of spot B.
IMG_0047.JPG

Just a couple of Donation centers, and nobody is parking here even on a busy Saturday afternoon.

Here's a couple pics of the amenities:
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG

And a Photo Sphere I took.
Views - Google Maps

I'll see if I can make regular updates once things start moving.

According to the project notes, an email was sent to the project manager to reschedule the site plan review. Must mean the plans are ready but there was some sort of schedule conflict. Hope he/she can do it before the end of this week.

I was expecting a more central location between I-85 and I-77 near I-485 (so I thought it would be somewhere in the Steel Creek area [SW CLT] - maybe new premium outlets place... still think that would be a great location for a second SC)

The northern part of I-485 will be finished soon. (Quite possibly before this supercharger is). Once 485 is open, this supercharger will be only a 10 minute detour for I-77 travelers. Right now 485 is scheduled to open in December. Let's see which one gets done first!

They can "suggest" anything they want, they did not publish the article until some 2 weeks ago. And to use the excuse that cold weather is the reason is more then a little comical. There are many large road project in/around Charlotte and none of those are stopping work during the "cold weather".