Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charlotte NC - where to tint and/or wrap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While waiting on our Model X to build, I was wondering if anyone in the Charlotte Metro area has recommendations for getting tinting and paint protection done.

Currently looking to do Photosync, but would love to hear from folks that prefer Crystalline as well.

Any suggestions on wrap/paint protection?

Thanks,

Michael

Based mostly on the advice of Drucifer and Cyclone, I tinted with Llumar CTX ceramic at Exclusive Detail as well. I chose 40% on all side windows and back window, and 80% clear film for the windshield.

@Trailblazer would you mind posting a picture? I'm trying to get a feel for what %'s to do. I want to have the back window match the pano roof, then also want the sides done (not sure it has to be the same) and plan to do just a UV layer on the front windshield.

@Trailblazer would you mind posting a picture? I'm trying to get a feel for what %'s to do. I want to have the back window match the pano roof, then also want the sides done (not sure it has to be the same) and plan to do just a UV layer on the front windshield.

This probably doesn't give you what you want, but in this pic, the rear and sides are 45% and no other tinting applied.
GU9Qqcg.jpg

FYI, that is @Drucifer's car's windshield and hood behind mine in the bottom-left pic. We randomly had our tinting done the same day (me before lunch, him after).

I can take some photos (the ones Cyclone just posted are probably better than I could do), but I've found that it's very hard to judge the tinting level from a photograph. You almost have to see it in person. When I initially saw Cyclone's photos, I thought that it was too dark for my taste. But I ended up getting almost the same level of tinting that he did (actually 5% darker) and it turned out fine for me.

My avatar is a photograph that was taken just after the tinting was done. It looks very dark, but in real life it's just not.

I have never used the preconditioning feature (I don't really have a "normal" predictable schedule)

I just want to make sure you are aware that I wasn't referring to "smart preconditioning" where the car figures out your schedule and cools automatically for you. I also don't have a set schedule. I meant preconditioning where before I start shutting down my laptop, I open up my Tesla app and turn on the a/c. By the time I shut down the laptop, go through security, and get it my car, it's been like 15 minutes and the car is nice and cool.

I have a long walk to my car from my desk and I make two round trips at least (lunch or to move my car out of a charging space after 3 hours). This is normal for me:
image.jpeg

I can take some photos (the ones Cyclone just posted are probably better than I could do), but I've found that it's very hard to judge the tinting level from a photograph. You almost have to see it in person. When I initially saw Cyclone's photos, I thought that it was too dark for my taste. But I ended up getting almost the same level of tinting that he did (actually 5% darker) and it turned out fine for me.

My avatar is a photograph that was taken just after the tinting was done. It looks very dark, but in real life it's just not.

I concur. Pictures don't do this justice especially since tinting is so dynamic based on the surrounding lighting.

I will say that I've driven a car with 28 or 25 and my mother's ICE has 20. The Tesla with 28 was definitely darker, but still not too bad to see out of (especially with the rear camera up). But my mother's Lexus IS darn difficult to drive at night in parking lots an such!

I just want to make sure you are aware that I wasn't referring to "smart preconditioning" where the car figures out your schedule and cools automatically for you. I also don't have a set schedule. I meant preconditioning where before I start shutting down my laptop, I open up my Tesla app and turn on the a/c. By the time I shut down the laptop, go through security, and get it my car, it's been like 15 minutes and the car is nice and cool.

I have a long walk to my car from my desk and I make two round trips at least (lunch or to move my car out of a charging space after 3 hours). This is normal for me:
View attachment 188584
Oh yes - sorry - for some reason I made the mental leap to "smart preconditioning". I have occasionally turned on the A/C before I get to my car, but I have to admit that I usually forget to do that!

The guys over at Hyperformance Graphics in Hickory did the yellow wrap on my wife's P85. Great bunch of people there.

Instagram photo by jason • Jun 10, 2016 at 3:49am UTC (not my instagram, photo before minor rear-end accident damage on rear bumper was repaired)

What made you decide to redo the whole wrap instead of just the bumpers? Did they colors no longer match up from the older film? I have always loved her yellow S. It definitely stands out at the Supercharger!

What made you decide to redo the whole wrap instead of just the bumpers? Did they colors no longer match up from the older film? I have always loved her yellow S. It definitely stands out at the Supercharger!

The original shop's job was starting to have a few issues, especially around the front bumper, rear bumper (which needed redoing anyway), mirrors, pillars, door handles, etc. It held up decent, but I know a bit more about the whole process now and it turns out the original shop didn't do quite as good of a job as I originally thought.

I used Pro-Tint in Kannapolis in 2013 to get Photosync 45 on sides and back. Huge improvement in heat blocking. Went back for Suntek CXP-80 on the windshield because of all the heat coming through (black ext and interior). They weren't offering Photosync 75 for the windshield at the time - wish they had, because it's better with the CXP-80 but nowhere near as much heat blocking as the Photosync.

Also used CMC Detailing for OptiCoat (in 2013) and CQuartz (in 2015) - Very happy with the results - best money I've spent on the car.

Reactions: mikes_fsd