Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check where every watt goes in your house

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have several engage units so I know how they work. The problem is the drains are very short and spikey, not likely to show up on the 10 second update meters, either web or console. Thanks for your help but I didn’t ask you to educate me on how my own monitors work.

My real time monitors show each phase separately..

3D346F33-DE2C-4C41-BEBE-0039AF4F54F1.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought and returned the Sense product a few years ago. Couldn't get it around the bus bars in my breaker box that bring the power from the meter into the area the breakers plugin. Been waiting for them to rev the system, I complain to them ever 3 months, still nada. It does look like Neur.io is releasing an upgraded CT that I might be able to clip on, not sure if it will work with Sense.

-Randy

I use a Rainforest product linked directly to my smart meter with PG&E. it cost $100 on Amazon and took about ten minutes to set up over the phone with them because I have solar and they don't support it for solar customers without a phone call to set it up. You can see on a cloudy day I am using a lot more energy especially with the pool pump on right now. It's been pretty easy to cycle appliances on & off and based up the info in this forum I found that each of my HVAC units are pulling about a hundred Watts when they are on standby.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190203-122417_EnergyVUE.jpg
    Screenshot_20190203-122417_EnergyVUE.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I have several engage units so I know how they work. The problem is the drains are very short and spikey, not likely to show up on the 10 second update meters, either web or console. Thanks for your help but I didn’t ask you to educate me on how my own monitors work.

My real time monitors show each phase separately..

First, keep in mind that this is a public forum and I tend to write my responses to everyone, not just the person I'm in dialog with.
Second, I have no idea what you know or don't know.
Third, I didn't realize you were trying to debug the "short spikes".

I think it was you that suggested the Sense system IDing your issue. Sorry I have been baseline focused. The Sense system might ID anything that cycles. It might not ID it right but it can probably separate it out.

Regarding the short spikes.

Anything that isn't constant, or very long stable cycles, is a LOT more work to debug.
Personally, I have not focused on much stuff that cycles, because I know what most stuff is that is cycling, and there is either not much I can do about it (Heat, A/C, Frig) or doesn't use much, lights on motion sensor, toaster, hair dryer etc.

That's not say it's not worth digging into something if you have no idea what it is, and want to know. It could be a faulty appliance.

Also keep in mind, how most of these monitors work (sorry if I'm insulting you again). The monitors themselves sample at a very high rate (maybe many times a second). They average the values over that period and then report that value. They are not the max value in that period. That period could be 10s or 15 minutes. For finding a short spike that will be difficult. Think of the charts as "Total Usage" during that period. Versus the Rear-Time as actual instant current.

There is a few ways to find those spikes. Now you did say there were clearly on the charts. Well you know what phase it's on. Move the two coils to first 2 circuits on that phase. And monitor it however long it takes for them to show up. Keep moving the coils until they show up.
If there are multiple things in the circuit just turn them off one by one until it's gone. I know that can take a lot of time.

Another way is a binary search. Depends how often the spikes happen on how practical this method is. Put the coils back on the mains. Turn off HALF the breakers. Is the spikes there or not. If the spike is gone you know it's in the half you turned off. If still it's there the Spiky circuit is in the half you left on. Now flip breakers (if needed) such that only the half with the Spike are On. Now repeat and turn half of those off. Binary search will zero in on the culprit circuit quickly.

Now looking back at your chart, my best guess is your heating system. I see you're in CT under the same Arctic blast I am. If you have Forced Hot Water, I bet those are circulation pumps coming on for different Zones (sometimes more than one on at a time). Or if Forced Hot Air, a Blower, possibly a two speed blower. Older Forced Hot Air tend to have longer cycles than your display shows. Newer Forced Hot Air are Variable Speed. So my Guess is Circulation pumps on forced hot water because those come off and on more often than blowers. Is the Spike frequency increasing as it gets colder, are they absent in summer? I can't think of anything else cycling that often pulling that amount of watts.

If it is long enough to show on the chart it should be easy to see on the real-time display. But the real-time display might not show the same value as the height on the chart because it averages the power used over that much longer period. Sorry if I'm insulting you again and you knew that. Cheaper monitors vs expensive ones might vary in how accurately they report.

Last edited:
It's forced hot air heating (gas). But those mystery spikes are almost the same in each season and don't change based on temp. So I don't think it's the blowers either (house is 12 years old) That's why I'm hoping Sense can detect them, as there seem to be two or three different spikey drains on the phase. The other phase is near perfectly flat at about 400W baseline.. except when I go to charge my car. The binary search is a good idea, but that's going to take a bit of time to do (although I can already eliminate one entire phase).

But besides just finding these energy sinks, the Sense has a higher geek factor to watch and analyze the usage way better than the Engage system can.

Maybe I'll look into probing the Powerwall API to see if I can get better than 10 second average readings.

It's forced hot air heating (gas). But those mystery spikes are almost the same in each season and don't change based on temp. So I don't think it's the blowers either (house is 12 years old) That's why I'm hoping Sense can detect them, as there seem to be two or three different spikey drains on the phase. The other phase is near perfectly flat at about 400W baseline.. except when I go to charge my car. The binary search is a good idea, but that's going to take a bit of time to do (although I can already eliminate one entire phase).

But besides just finding these energy sinks, the Sense has a higher geek factor to watch and analyze the usage way better than the Engage system can.

Maybe I'll look into probing the Powerwall API to see if I can get better than 10 second average readings.

The Sense looks great. No question. Agreed high geek factor. But I would not count on it to find the root of those spikes. I suspect your knowledge with the tools you have is more than what Sense can figure out. You can find them. They are curious.

Our Sense just recently came online and is finding devices. Our always one is around 450-500 it was closer to 900-1000 before we found some random energy suckers. I have computers, servers and aquaponic pumps we keep on so not sure we can get it down much more.

I definitely recommend the Sense. It’s also kinda cool to see it find devices and name them appropriately...like LG TV and Tesla!

I can recommend a Brultech GEM as it allows each circuit to be monitored. Its expensive and not for that faint hearted to install, however the data it generates is second to none.
GreenEye Monitor residential | Power/Energy Monitors | Brultech Research Inc.

Some sample screenshots attached, but needless to say, there are tons of ways to slice the data historically or in realtime if you are data junkie who cares about where your power is going.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 10.51.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 10.51.31 PM.png
    403.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 10.50.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 10.50.33 PM.png
    412.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 10.46.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 10.46.47 PM.png
    551 KB · Views: 48
@strangely, I hope there’s something else on your Envoy solar monitor circuit. It would be in poor form for the power monitor from an Enphase solar system to consume 1 kWh a day by itself. That is also assuming that’s what your Envoy circuit is.

I should hook my kill-a-watt up to my golf cart charger. I suspect that’s the source of the frequent 200 watt power draws in the detached garage/hangar. It could be the beer fridge, but with the hangar only being heated to 45 degrees, the fridge shouldn’t be working very hard right now.

The thought occurs to me that there is likely a big market in helping people identify energy usage. Maybe someone is already doing this (as a business I mean), but there are plenty of people who would likely be interested in a detailed report out of their home and drains... without having to become electricity experts.

When solar city installed my solar system, they told me I could not have the "consumption monitoring" portion of the solar install due to how my panel was designed with the cables coming in.

I know enough about electricity to change a plug in my house, but not enough to change a breaker. I would love to know in general what vampire drains I have in my house to see if there are devices I am not aware of using more power than I am aware of... but since I have solar, and its backfed into the utility, I dont know what I need to do to find this information.

@strangely, I hope there’s something else on your Envoy solar monitor circuit. It would be in poor form for the power monitor from an Enphase solar system to consume 1 kWh a day by itself. That is also assuming that’s what your Envoy circuit is.

Yes and funny you mention that, I noticed it after I posted that. Its supposed to be a dedicated circuit, and I had to wire it especially that way due to some interference from my powerwall that stopped the comms from the Micro Inverters. I was doing some rack rewiring in my garage and I plugged a UPS with some network and camera equipment into the same outlet pair by mistake after I unplugged it to upgrade a hard disk.

• Informative
Reactions: swaltner
6842365B-5753-41E8-998B-8B637562F0C8.png
How detailed does it get ?
I have deck lighting, Alexa units, power tool chargers, HPWC, smart phone chargers, Rogers wireless routers, etc.
Will it show some/most of the above items ?

Here’s my pic of sense takes awhile to find things ~2mos ..and requires the devices to be cycled on off to detect ..still hasn’t detected my routers as they are always on :(

I got at a Black Friday sale for good price otherwise would have returned this as isn’t worth the original $300 price :oops:

View attachment 404863

Here’s my pic of sense takes awhile to find things ~2mos ..and requires the devices to be cycled on off to detect ..still hasn’t detected my routers as they are always on :(

I got at a Black Friday sale for good price otherwise would have returned this as isn’t worth the original $300 price :oops:

Thanks for the post. I’m torn on getting this thing. Some say it’s great. Others, not so much.
I really want to know how many kw/h’s my M3 uses, and I also want to know where my electricity is going, down to every item.

If the items it can’t pick up, are manually turned on and off, for a while, will it eventually get them ?

If the items it can’t pick up, are manually turned on and off, for a while, will it eventually get them

It should with frequency ...one of the complaints of sense is u can’t manually train it .. only reason why I kept is I got on a Black Friday sale for under $200 otherwise I don’t recommend at original price point ;) ..it is neat though to see my usage after 6 mos usage it has found over 40 devices in my house ..the Tesla will take about 1 1/2 mos to pickup ..they actually tell u that on support forums but they have modeled the 3,S,X signatures

How detailed does it get ?
I have deck lighting, Alexa units, power tool chargers, HPWC, smart phone chargers, Rogers wireless routers, etc.
Will it show some/most of the above items ?
It's very detailed, but spotty. Some items that have dedicated lines are not found, but others are discovered even though they share a power strip with 10 other things. It keeps finding more items, seems to have a far easier time finding things with higher consumption and more cycles. It keeps getting better and I think part of that is more users in the network. For now it probably has identified about half of my things and is very useful for tracking total usage or turning things off manually and seeing how it changes your load.

• Informative
Reactions: M109Rider
Finally broke down and purchased a used one as I need to play but I know it won't work on my breaker panel with the busbars so close to the back of the panel. I got it up and running on the subpanel that feeds my hot tub, so it's working at least. I will be excited for the day the monitor can detect my cars and hot tub w/o having to be wired into them directly.

-Randy