Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checklist for travel in France - advice appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me again, just looking at Reveo, did you subscribe and get their card (Eu12 per year) or just go with the app please? I'd rather not subscribe and run with the app if it's reliable but will get the card if needed. Their network looks very good!
Cheers
I did subscribe, so I'm using the RFID card. It's half price with the subscription so break even is 8 hours of charge. Easily worth it for me.

Just did over 2000Km across France. Super chargers are excellent but often requires getting off the highway and go through a toll booth, so having an RFID for toll is recommended.

On one occasion, used PlugSurfing app to activate a charger in a parking garage. The next morning, the App wouldn't work and we got stuck 1.5 hours until the company answered phone and released it....

If anyone is planning on using the supercharger in Rouen, it is in a Novotel carpark and is all closed up. However, if you drive up to the gate and press the button, it will open up and you can get to the chargers.

I had a slight panic when I got there with only 4% and thought it was locked up. Luckily another Tesla turned up and knew the drill.

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau
I arrived back on Frday (31st July) from a road trip to Spain via Eurotunnel. On the way charged at Folkstone, Abbeville, Rouen, Le Man, Poitiers, Saintes, Merignac, Bayonne, Zaragoza and Valencia. Virtually without exception we arrived to find multiple free bays. Only on one occasion on our return trip did we take the last free bay (at Rouen) but others rapidly became available. Travelling in working hours is more likely to mean busier chargers. In the evenings I found they were generally empty or only 1 or 2 other users present.

Reactions: ArunG
Count on them being very busy in France on any Saturday and Sunday in August, particularly if they are close to intersecting motorways or intersecting holiday routes.
A lot has happened in the world since this thread was last used. (I hope that Fernandel is still extant).

So, despited the spindrift and (damp) sage brush blowing through the corridors of mixed metaphors, I am hoping someone will prise this thread open and release me, or more accurately, assuage my fears.

I see that for French touring we are required to carry spare bulbs. It was probably ever so. But now, post Brexit I fear more attention will be paid to GB oops, UK drivers.

To the point then, do any members know where a full set of 2022 Model Y LR bulbs could be purchased.

With heartfelt thanks in anticipation.

A lot has happened in the world since this thread was last used. (I hope that Fernandel is still extant).

So, despited the spindrift and (damp) sage brush blowing through the corridors of mixed metaphors, I am hoping someone will prise this thread open and release me, or more accurately, assuage my fears.

I see that for French touring we are required to carry spare bulbs. It was probably ever so. But now, post Brexit I fear more attention will be paid to GB oops, UK drivers.

To the point then, do any members know where a full set of 2022 Model Y LR bulbs could be purchased.

With heartfelt thanks in anticipation.
I didn't take any, as far as I know no bulbs are really replaceable on the roadside so no kit is applicable.

I started this checklist when I went to France in the Summer. Hopefully someone else finds it useful too.

ItemLinksNotes
Passports
Driving Licence
Travel Insurance
Tunnel/Ferry Ticket
V5 or VE103bBVRLA Guide to VE103bIf you need a VE103b ask lease company.
Car Insurance CertificateDirect Line’s default EU cover is 3rd party.
Vignette Crit’AirOfficial WebsiteOnly necessary for certain locations in France, e.g. Paris.
Toll Tags and VignettesBip & Go
emovis tag
Ulys e-toll
Toll Tickets
Toll charges are the same as a contactless card but much easier than curb rash. Usually requires a bank account that can make SEPA payments.
European BreakdownRAC
AA
GreenFlag
Eversure
MSE recommend Eversure
SOS Autoroute AppSOS AutorouteFor break downs on the French Autoroute.
‘UK’ Sticker/Number PlateDriving in the EU - UK Gov
Reflective jackets (EN471) inside vehicle 1x per person
Warning triangle
Jacking pucks x4
UMC with Schuko Adapter
Type 2 Cable
Tesla OEM
Tough Leads
Depends where you’re staying. Isn't leaving fully charged every day amazing!
Charging Apps/RFIDChargePoint
Shell Recharge
JoinBonnet
All worked for me in France. Avoid using a UK contactless card on a French Type 2 to avoid getting your cable stuck!! 😉
SuperchargersCharged in Euros – swap card to a fee-free card on Tesla Account.

Headlight converters: Tesla and the manual say not necessary. YMMV.

Not needed for most trips/people but check:

International Driving PermitPost OfficeNot needed for France with a UK driving licence.
Insurance Green CardNot needed in EU.

I started this checklist when I went to France in the Summer. Hopefully someone else finds it useful too.

ItemLinksNotes
Passports
Driving Licence
Travel Insurance
Tunnel/Ferry Ticket
V5 or VE103bBVRLA Guide to VE103bIf you need a VE103b ask lease company.
Car Insurance CertificateDirect Line’s default EU cover is 3rd party.
Vignette Crit’AirOfficial WebsiteOnly necessary for certain locations in France, e.g. Paris.
Toll Tags and VignettesBip & Go
emovis tag
Ulys e-toll
Toll Tickets
Toll charges are the same as a contactless card but much easier than curb rash. Usually requires a bank account that can make SEPA payments.
European BreakdownRAC
AA
GreenFlag
Eversure
MSE recommend Eversure
SOS Autoroute AppSOS AutorouteFor break downs on the French Autoroute.
‘UK’ Sticker/Number PlateDriving in the EU - UK Gov
Reflective jackets (EN471) inside vehicle 1x per person
Warning triangle
Jacking pucks x4
UMC with Schuko Adapter
Type 2 Cable
Tesla OEM
Tough Leads
Depends where you’re staying. Isn't leaving fully charged every day amazing!
Charging Apps/RFIDChargePoint
Shell Recharge
JoinBonnet
All worked for me in France. Avoid using a UK contactless card on a French Type 2 to avoid getting your cable stuck!! 😉
SuperchargersCharged in Euros – swap card to a fee-free card on Tesla Account.

Headlight converters: Tesla and the manual say not necessary. YMMV.

Not needed for most trips/people but check:

International Driving PermitPost OfficeNot needed for France with a UK driving licence.
Insurance Green CardNot needed in EU.
Nice work.

So, not too much change since Brexit. Breathalyser is no longer required and we have the GB to UK nonsense.

In more than 30 years of going to various points on the mainland, South, East and West, I also have never been asked about spare bulbs.
The significant changes are more to do with having a Tesla; the bank card charge issue is important because we can't buy watts for cash.

Insurance wise Admiral, give 90 days per year comprehensive cover. I have their Euro Breakdown. The breakdown service delivery companies changes from time to time, I think it is with the AA this year who, in turn, sub-contract locally.

For the Peage, I have just applied for a new Imovis Tag to replace my long dead one; this will be the first crossing since Brexit. Tag user safe time. Also it makes life so much easier for the passenger who's difficulty to reach out to machine or cashier would be further exacerbated by the pilot's desire to avoid a nasty little rash - on his new wheels. So, the Tag is a must.

Nice work.

So, not too much change since Brexit. Breathalyser is no longer required and we have the GB to UK nonsense.

In more than 30 years of going to various points on the mainland, South, East and West, I also have never been asked about spare bulbs.
The significant changes are more to do with having a Tesla; the bank card charge issue is important because we can't buy watts for cash.

Insurance wise Admiral, give 90 days per year comprehensive cover. I have their Euro Breakdown. The breakdown service delivery companies changes from time to time, I think it is with the AA this year who, in turn, sub-contract locally.

For the Peage, I have just applied for a new Imovis Tag to replace my long dead one; this will be the first crossing since Brexit. Tag user safe time. Also it makes life so much easier for the passenger who's difficulty to reach out to machine or cashier would be further exacerbated by the pilot's desire to avoid a nasty little rash - on his new wheels. So, the Tag is a must.
Péage