Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chevrolet Spark EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've already gone through the reasons why they didn't stick with CHAdeMO: mainly single socket AC/DC, V2G support out of the box (CHAdeMO has V2H which was added recently, still no V2G capability yet). With the EU exclusion of CHAdeMO, the Combo connector is also the better choice for international harmonization.
I'm not sure what you mean by "EU exclusion of CHAdeMO". CHAdeMO Association currently lists 720 CHAdeMO chargers in Europe.

The rest seem like real good reasons to create another standard that's incompatible w/10s of thousands of cars and now over 2500 stations, not.

From Ingineer:

CHAdeMO has worked hard to get their system ratified as an international standard, and it is in the final stages of becoming a global standard. IEC 62196-3 is expected to ratify this coming December containing CHAdeMO.

You will not need to pay anyone a license to use CHAdeMO once it becomes a standard.

And let me add the sentiments of ChadS... unlike CHAdeMO, the various federal and state money facets are not primed to pump out the same number of Frankenplugs as has already been installed. There just isn't fed money for this, and it would be hard for even GM to convince DOE that their competing system needs $100 million like Ecotality got to install L2 and CHAdeMO.

That means that unless compliance manufacturers like GM, or BMW (and frankly, I don't think any of the remainder of the consortium would step up or really care about this) decide to pay TONS of money like Tesla to build their own quasi-proprietary system, there just isn't a chance of catching on big.

Yes, it's frequently said how "all these consortium manufacturers" will "someday" have EV's.... and when they do decide to build something beyond compliance cars, the next hot thing will be inductive charging, onboard AC three phase charging, and 250kW automatic handsfree DC charging.

Last edited:
I don't think that you actually read the "dissenting" posts. Yes, *IF* GM can convince CARB that their Spark EV sold in California and Oregon is NOT a compliance car (that's in the NRG/EVgo agreement), and there are TWO available Frankenplug charger manufacturers on the market, THEN there will be 200 Frankenplugs.... drum roll... in FOUR YEARS.
I have read those comments. None of the reports I have read about the NRG settlement say there is a compliance car verification requirement (link please to evidence?). From the pdf I posted about the 4 chargers, they are going to have the first NRG chargers installed within 6 months after UL certification of 2 manufacturers (there are 7 being certified in parallel right now). If you look at the NRG's evGo network there are 0 DC chargers in CA (they have 40 in Texas), this is because they were waiting for dual connector stations:
http://www.evgonetwork.com/find-a-station/
I find it highly unlikely that evGo will let Ecotality/Blink dominate the market for 4 years in CA.

One bad part of the California NRG/EVgo deal for the Frankenplug consortium... it doesn't kill CHAdeMO... actually, there will be 200 CHAdeMOs sitting right next to a Frankenplug in FOUR years.
No one is trying to kill CHAdeMO in the US (only GM has proposed this, but none of the other SAE members nor CARB has proposed this). The policy is dual connector stations going forward. Rather it's CHAdeMO trying to kill SAE DC.

Ingineer seems to think that CHAdeMO might get some official sanction in EU, but obviously, the Germans will lock up their country to protect their German manufacturers who have all signed on to the Frankenplug Euro 3 phase Spec.
CHAdeMO might get IEC approval, but I actually went back and looked at the press release and it actually says the EU will only support Type 2, not just IEC overall (so it excludes Type 1: J1772, Type 3 too). So even if CHAdeMO gets accepted by IEC, they still have to convince the EU to change their policy to accept CHAdeMO. Being accepted by IEC gives them a better chance, but still unlikely (given the EU excluded both Type 1 and 3).

I can't wait to plug in my BMW i3 purchased in Germany that I had shipped over here... oops, it won't plug in to the "international harmonization".
You can actually charge it using a soda can adapter like the Model S does. But what I mean is the fact the protocols and footprint of the two are the same. The L2 socket has to be different because of 3-phase support, regardless of what DC standard you use.

The single socket concept was silly from the get-go, unless they wanted to do it like Tesla. That makes sense.
Doing it like Tesla is impractical unless they plan for people to use adapters for L2 charging, which would be really annoying for the short range non-Tesla EVs.

Please expand on the difference between V2G and V2H. You write like Frankenplug "had it first" when you realize that there really isn't a Frankenplug yet. Yes, CHAdeMO updated their firmware (without telling anybody) for V2H.
The SAE DC spec was finalized last year, so yes it exists (you can buy a copy on SAE's site for $68). The main difference between V2G and V2H is that V2G has support for directly communicating with the utility. V2H provides bi-directional power, but can't communicate with the utility (which is why it's only for "Home"). CHAdeMO's "support" of V2H might not even be in the official spec, but proprietary protocol using the connector. The Leaf press release only mentions the connector is a JARI G105 (AKA CHAdeMO) but not that the protocol is. Toyota added similar V2H support to the PiP using the J1772 AC connector and a similar external "home unit".
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/05/leafvsh-20120530.html
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2012/06/tmcv2h-20120604.html

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure what you mean by "EU exclusion of CHAdeMO". CHAdeMO Association currently lists 720 CHAdeMO chargers in Europe.
I'm talking about this:
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/01/28/chademo-disappointed-european-commissions-fast-charging/

The rest seem like real good reasons to create another standard that's incompatible w/10s of thousands of cars and now over 2500 stations, not.
There are many more vehicles that do not support CHAdeMO (or any DC charging) than there are those that do. It's only 160 stations in the US. A large majority of CHAdeMO stations are in Japan, and no one is proposing to use Combo there.

From an automaker prospective those things (single socket, V2G) can be a pretty big deal, esp. when DC infrastructure is still barely started and V2G starting to play a bigger role (with the recent smart meter rollout). And before SAE's decision not to adopt CHAdeMO, it wasn't even an open standard and required royalties (it might still require royalties now; from the previous thread "open" does not mean royalty free). CHAdeMO only did an about face when it was clear the other automakers aren't going to adopt it.

Last edited:
Yes, it's frequently said how "all these consortium manufacturers" will "someday" have EV's.... and when they do decide to build something beyond compliance cars, the next hot thing will be inductive charging, onboard AC three phase charging, and 250kW automatic handsfree DC charging.
Tesla will build a hovercraft before the other guys get around to taking EVs seriously. Well, maybe not a hovercraft, but at least 50,000 units of Gen 3.

How it compares to Leaf? More range, active battery cooling, LESS ugly, better priced...

But what is that Spark? Is it 4 seater, 5 seater? Dose it have 4 doors? I mean on the pics that thing in the place where back door should be do not have handles...

The Spark has 400 ft-lbs torque and should drive better than the Leaf. The Leaf has heated steering wheel and heated rear seats that are not available on the Spark.

GSP

While GM has said they are "working on" (hmm) making it available in other states, the initial plan is, like everybody else with a compliance BEV, to only make it available in ZEV states. My understanding is that right now it is only available in CA and OR.

Too bad, as I'd really like to drive one. (Although the 400 ft-lbs isn't as impressive as it sounds given their unusual gearing, it still does sound fun to drive).

I wonder if I was to buy one in OR and bring it here, if a Volt dealer could fix it, or if it requires stuff that GM won't give to non-ZEV dealers.

The Spark has 400 ft-lbs torque and should drive better than the Leaf. The Leaf has heated steering wheel and heated rear seats that are not available on the Spark.
Don't jump into conclusions. Motor torque means nothing by itself, one needs to know overall reduction ratio, wheel dimensions and vehicle weight to find out how it should drive.

Prius 2004 had 400Nm motor, Prius 2010 has 207Nm motor. Older one was 50kW, current is 60kW.

Last edited:
Don't jump into conclusions. Motor torque means nothing by itself, one needs to know overall reduction ratio, wheel dimensions and vehicle weight to find out how it should drive.

Prius 2004 had 400Nm motor, Prius 2010 has 207Nm motor. Older one was 50kW, current is 60kW.

You are correct. It is true that the Spark has 400 ft-lbs, and to is better to drive, but I did not mean to imply that high torque provides fantastic acceleration. It takes power to accelerate quickly, not torque. Still, the Spark's acceleration is not bad, much better than the Leaf. Handling is better also.

The high torque motor enables a lower numerical reduction ratio. This is achieved by one planetary gear set, which reduces power loss in the reduction gearing compared to other EVs.

GSP

While GM has said they are "working on" (hmm) making it available in other states, the initial plan is, like everybody else with a compliance BEV, to only make it available in ZEV states. My understanding is that right now it is only available in CA and OR.

Too bad, as I'd really like to drive one. (Although the 400 ft-lbs isn't as impressive as it sounds given their unusual gearing, it still does sound fun to drive).

I wonder if I was to buy one in OR and bring it here, if a Volt dealer could fix it, or if it requires stuff that GM won't give to non-ZEV dealers.

I drove it at Maker Faire last May. It was fairly fun to drive, at least as far as I could tell on that tiny course. I was surprised to find reasonable headroom in the back seat, which wasn't my experience with the Fiat 500.

Leaf's range is 75 miles because Nissan recommends 80% charging. 75 = (66 (80%) + 84 (100%)/2. Leaf has 84 miles when you need it, but not if you always need it. ;)

The new EPA range scale really is the most useless number in history. If they wanted to give something useful, they would report the leaf as 66/84 instead of 75. Oh well, I guess they are not in business to make EV buying easier for the masses.