Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago area superchargers failing in cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, it is real. My issue with the new stories is that many of them spin it as EVs can't charge in the cold. If this were true, we would see this issues right now not in Chicago area only. How about Minneapolis, Ann Arbor, Denver (it's -10F in Denver now)?
It is -5 below in Omaha, I'm showing 3 of 12 stalls available for charging with 6 stalls down at the Omaha supercharger (and knowing Omaha I'm skeptical 3 cars are charging right now at 10:20 p.m. there too), 5 of 8 stalls down at Council Bluffs, 2 of 8 down at each Lincoln Nebraska supercharger. I'm with you on the EVs can't charge in the cold b.s., but, they're having some sort of issue with superchargers in this part of the country with the weather right now.

in my area a lot of the uber guys have teslas, and in fact there was even some rental/lease program from them. Making a generalization, but probably safer to assume many of them dont have a garage or dedicated level 2 to use, and are more often using DCFC and dropping in at low SOC so they can maximize uptime. Mix this with some SC problems, and new user knowledge issues (preconditioning, awareness of other chargers, ccs adapters), perfect storm.

Since you have a relatively new car, yours should have CCS hardware enabled. If so, you could buy https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter and then use CCS1/SAE Combo DC fast chargers. Check Plugshare (app and/or web site) and filter by SAE Combo/CCS to see if there are/were any reliable ones in that area/on your route.

Having such an adapter can open up possibilities in case something like this happens again and will let you charge MUCH faster than falling back to level 2 J1772 or Tesla wall connectors/"destination chargers".
I actually have a CCS adapter. I have never used it though because every time I check the map where Im taveling there are super chargers in the same town as well. It did cross my mind while I was waiting in line last night but I ended up thinking I have less then 20% and dropping faster then normal. I have never used one and its quite possible they are having even more non teslas trying to charge then the charger I was at. I definitely did not want to experiment last night... I just wanted to go home. It was absolutely miserable. Thanks for the thought though.

- several days of continuous negative temps
- holidays weekend
- lots of new Uber drivers (chargers around the city are very busy with Uber drivers, see the fleet plates)
- lots of tesla
- not a lot of new chargers (hope the new 52 stalls at ORD comes soon), need another one for MDW
- 🥶
I remember noticing this in las Vegas. Lots of ubers, lyftd, and rentals. It would keep chargers busy at all hours when they otherwise wouldn't have been crowded.

It is proving to be a lot harder to get the needed infrastructure work done in cities than in more rural or suburban areas, tbh.

in my area a lot of the uber guys have teslas, and in fact there was even some rental/lease program from them. Making a generalization, but probably safer to assume many of them dont have a garage or dedicated level 2 to use, and are more often using DCFC and dropping in at low SOC so they can maximize uptime. Mix this with some SC problems, and new user knowledge issues (preconditioning, awareness of other chargers, ccs adapters), perfect storm.
Indeed. https://www.uber.com/us/en/drive/vehicle-solutions/hertz/ has a link to rent a Tesla with Hertz. It points to https://www.uber.com/us/en/drive/vehicle-solutions/hertz/tesla/.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight and GSP
It is -5 below in Omaha, I'm showing 3 of 12 stalls available for charging with 6 stalls down at the Omaha supercharger (and knowing Omaha I'm skeptical 3 cars are charging right now at 10:20 p.m. there too), 5 of 8 stalls down at Council Bluffs, 2 of 8 down at each Lincoln Nebraska supercharger. I'm with you on the EVs can't charge in the cold b.s., but, they're having some sort of issue with superchargers in this part of the country with the weather right now.
It is 8F here and I just checked that it is all clear from northern Dallas to south of Kansas City (its 2F in Kansas City now). Anyone from Minneapolis or Denver?

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and cwerdna
True but I don’t think they were stranded on the road with 0%. I think the towed people were directed towards the superchargers that were down and lost charge there. Those people really got screwed. That is definitely a major bug that Tesla needed to fix ASAP.

I’m talking about the long waits at the working superchargers. And yes, probably some of those towed in were from the non-working chargers.

Just a bad situation all over. The anti-EV crowd is going to have an absolute field day with this. Even though they conveniently forget how a couple years ago a significant chunk of the eastern seaboard was without gas.

If it is majority locals charging, really makes me appreciate L2 home charging. Probably wouldn’t own an EV without it. This is also why giving away months of free supercharging is bad.
In Rolling meadows last night the guy on the tow truck waiting in line died on the road or at his house. Not sure how. He asked me if it ever happened to me and I said no and was kinda surprised he would think it could be common enough to ask. Besides him, most other people there were in very serious jeopardy of dead batteries just from waiting in line, and from the news report it seems many did end up dying feet from chargers. That could happen to anyone and is disturbing. What would help is a system where you are put in a queue system in the app so you can shut everything down and go in a local business to keep warm while waiting. This would slow everything down while people are getting their cars when it's their turn though, so not surehow well it would work but it would save dead cars in lines. Maybe just use it the extreme cold. Although it would prevent line cutters which I saw at least 5 cars attempt to do last night as well. Just a thought.

It is 8F here and I just checked that it is all clear from northern Dallas to south of Kansas City (its 2F in Kansas City now).
Again, just passing what is going along here. -5 below is actually a warm up from the past several nights The high here yesterday was -8. Heading East from Omaha to Des Moines 4 of 8 are down in Shelby Iowa, 3 of 8 down in the West Des Moines supercharger, etc. My only point is whatever is happening here isn't unique to Chicago. It spans multiple construction crews, multiple generations of superchargers, multiple utility providers, and apparently several states. It is going to "warm" up over the next two days here and then get quite a bit warmer comparatively again. We'll see if some of these magically come back on line on their own or not.

Ever since I had a scare with a few nonfunctional plugs at a Supercharger in central IL (Dwight, IL) on a frigid Xmas 2022, I’ve wondered if snow/ice in the connectors might play any role in individual stalls not working in the cold.

If anyone could show that that’s a common failure mode, I’d buy a cordless heat gun and add that to my winter road trip kit.

Reactions: Farmer
Ever since I had a scare with a few nonfunctional plugs at a Supercharger in central IL (Dwight, IL) on a frigid Xmas 2022, I’ve wondered if snow/ice in the connectors might play any role in individual stalls not working in the cold.

If anyone could show that that’s a common failure mode, I’d buy a cordless heat gun and add that to my winter road trip kit.

Actually, a portable heat gun is not a bad idea, but I'd also add a can of compressed air as well. Melting snow into water might just let it run into somewhere else where you wouldn't want it to go, maybe actually freezing the charging handle into the charger receptacle. Be careful.

This pic is from 2022 when we also had extended days of negatives in December. I drape a plastic bag over the cover and the handle, and add another over that one tied with twine to keep the whole mess blowing off. It is exactly as you see it here, right now.

i-6sZ9GLq-XL.jpg

i-gWwxVZK-X2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Skavatar and alexgr
Somebody posted that GM had already notified them that their adapter was on order.
Not clear if that was some random 3rd-party adapter which may not be approved and likely won't work anyway until the GM side bits for payment (e.g. My Chevrolet app for older EVs like Bolt) are enabled or an official GM one.

Someone posted what's the word on the tesla adapters - tesla to J1772 Dec 24, 2023. Not sure if anything has progressed on that department.

If people are curious about other automakers jumping on the NACS bandwagon, click on Automaker at Tesla NACS Charger Adoption Tracker - EVStation.

But seriously, for anyone in those super cold areas who already has the https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter and may need to go on an extended drive, bring it along and install Plugshare on your phone. Have it filter for CCS/SAE Combo and explore if there are any reliable ones en route.

You may want to install then login to apps for the respective charging networks in your area (e.g. Electrify America, EVgo, ChargePoint, Francis Energy, Blink, Flo, etc.) as credit card readers are not that infrequently broken or flaky, if even present.

Last edited:
Actually, a portable heat gun is not a bad idea, but I'd also add a can of compressed air as well. Melting snow into water might just let it run into somewhere else where you wouldn't want it to go, maybe actually freezing the charging handle into the charger receptacle. Be careful.

This pic is from 2022 when we also had extended days of negatives in December. I drape a plastic bag over the cover and the handle, and add another over that one tied with twine to keep the whole mess blowing off. It is exactly as you see it here, right now.

i-6sZ9GLq-XL.jpg

i-gWwxVZK-X2.jpg
Garage?

Reactions: israndy and KJD