Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago area superchargers failing in cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has said repeatedly that the supercharger network is to enable long distance travel. It's not intended to replace home charging.

This is hogwash. A dozen years ago Tesla introduced the supercharger network as a way to enable long distance charging. True enough.

Suggesting that’s still the sole intended purpose and only valid use case in 2024, or that Tesla has “said repeatedly” that people using it in other ways is discouraged, is absurd.

(Says me while sitting at a supercharger because it’s actually cheaper than electricity at my home)

A "victim" is someone who incurs a highly negative outcome from a random, unpredictable event. There is a difference between that, and making bad choices. To put it another way, making a bad choice that results in a bad outcome doesn't make someone a victim.
It's not a bad choice to take a Tesla to a supercharger and expect to be able to charge it. That's what Tesla sells and that is what sells Teslas. At least, that's how it was until this week.

Funny thing. I read today that Uber is working with Tesla to get more Uber drivers to use Teslas. Apparently, they are working to provide Tesla with data on where Uber trips are taken so that Tesla can plan more SC sites to support Uber drivers.

So much for the, "SC sites are for long distance trips only" argument.

It's not a bad choice to take a Tesla to a supercharger and expect to be able to charge it. That's what Tesla sells and that is what sells Teslas. At least, that's how it was until this week.

Funny thing. I read today that Uber is working with Tesla to get more Uber drivers to use Teslas. Apparently, they are working to provide Tesla with data on where Uber trips are taken so that Tesla can plan more SC sites to support Uber drivers.

Yeah, rideshare has been a pretty good market for Tesla, and they've been working hard to improve infrastructure for it. I'd bet they learn from this and improve. The supercharging teams is fantastic.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
Is it possible that power was being lowered to the chargers do to the fact that there was a very high use of electricity to heat Homes and Businesses?

ComEd has plenty of capacity, and Oak Brook is too posh to be the first suburb that ComEd cuts off. I think this was a perfect storm of multiple events —

• Tremendous growth in EV adoption in the Chicago area
  • The first Chicago winter in many years to get this cold
  • A lot of local area drivers with no experience in battery management under bitter cold conditions
In the news videos, many of the Teslas shown had Illinois FP (Fleet Permanent) plates, which means the drivers were probably not the owners. If they were Uber drivers, they were probably new to EVs and/or had never driven in these conditions. No doubt they were used to rolling up to a Supercharger and just plugging in without preconditioning.

ComEd has plenty of capacity, and Oak Brook is too posh to be the first suburb that ComEd cuts off. I think this was a perfect storm of multiple events —

• Tremendous growth in EV adoption in the Chicago area
  • The first Chicago winter in many years to get this cold
  • A lot of local area drivers with no experience in battery management under bitter cold conditions
In the news videos, many of the Teslas shown had Illinois FP (Fleet Permanent) plates, which means the drivers were probably not the owners. If they were Uber drivers, they were probably new to EVs and/or had never driven in these conditions. No doubt they were used to rolling up to a Supercharger and just plugging in without preconditioning.

Another video that mentions similar points.

From all the coverage so far, it seems it was a convergence of a perfect storm.
1) as mentioned, this was the first winter that there was a huge influx of ride sharing drivers. These typically don't know anything about EVs, don't have home charging, and probably are close enough to stations that car may not have time to precondition.
2) one of coldest winters experienced recently in the area
3) a holiday weekend so higher long distance demand also

The video talked about perhaps EV owners in the area typically not having home charging as a potential issue, but look at the sites show a vast majority of the clogging at stations were ride share drivers, so perhaps those aren't the biggest contributors.

It discussed potential causes:
1) Car needs to warm up before charging, so with a frozen pack, car doesn't start charging until it warms up (will show 6-7kW draw but not charging). Some people will see that and think charger is broken and report it as such.
2) LFP SR+/RWD cars have half the battery heating and with cold enough wind, it's possible the car isn't able to heat up fast enough to beat the cold (or may take a very long time to do so).
3) chargers may be broken (showed some EA examples), but for superchargers specifically, other than the ones operating in reduced power, it seems a lot are down because there is snow/ice in the connector itself (even in Colorado), something that didn't seem to be a problem in previous years.
He guessed perhaps the wind is different this year or people are leaving the cables on the ground. If it's the wind (or perhaps weather related like this year being more wet), not sure how to address (add heaters to the holders?). If it's people leaving cables on the ground, maybe have signs at the sites to remind people to put them back on the holder?

Indeed. There is https://www.axios.com/2024/01/16/uber-tesla-incentives-data.

It's actually much earlier than that of Tesla building superchargers for local demand. The lower power 72kW urban chargers were intended for that (see blog post from 2017):

They also ended the free unlimited supercharging about a year after in late 2018. That was enough to curb some of the local demand, given there is now a financial incentive for local drivers to find other less expensive means of charging.

That said, ride sharing demand did seem to play a huge part in what happened in this case. The free supercharging did have suggested exclusions for commercial usage:
"To help ensure Superchargers are available for their intended use, we ask that you not charge your vehicle using a Supercharger if your vehicle is being used for a commercial purpose (such as a taxi or for ridesharing through services like Uber or Lyft), unless you charge on a pay per use basis."
https://www.tesla.com/legal/terms#:~:text=To help ensure Superchargers are,a pay per us e basis.

The pay per use didn't turn out to be a deterrent for that crowd though, given they have no other way to charge that would support their business model.

But none of the charge networks out there are really set up to handle commercial demand (this includes the CCS stations), so something has to be figured out eventually.

He guessed perhaps the wind is different this year or people are leaving the cables on the ground. If it's the wind (or perhaps weather related like this year being more wet), not sure how to address (add heaters to the holders?). If it's people leaving cables on the ground, maybe have signs at the sites to remind people to put them back on the holder?

Re: people leaving cables on the ground… 2 thoughts I had:
  1. Sometimes people intentionally leave cables on the ground when a stall isn’t working as an attempt to signal to others not to bother using it.
  2. The “holster”/“dock” on Supercharger pedestals that the connector hangs from is not the most secure design in the world. If the connector is misaligned with the holster, the connector can pretty easily fall out. And the colder it is, the stiffer the cable gets (particularly thicker V2 cables), which can prevent the connector from aligning nicely with the holster.
No idea of these hypotheses actually played any part in the recent debacle tho.

It appears mostly back to normal-ish today.

Zero station closures today (vs 3-4 earlier in the week), most locations have 0 stalls out of order and the rest have at most 1-2 stalls out of order (vs most locations having 2-6 stalls out of order), and there are currently waits at only 4 locations (instead of almost all of them).

IMG_6819.jpeg

Temperatures got all the way up into the teens (Fahrenheit) yesterday and the low 20s today. It’s like a tropical paradise. 😜

Re: people leaving cables on the ground… 2 thoughts I had:
  1. Sometimes people intentionally leave cables on the ground when a stall isn’t working as an attempt to signal to others not to bother using it.
  2. The “holster”/“dock” on Supercharger pedestals that the connector hangs from is not the most secure design in the world. If the connector is misaligned with the holster, the connector can pretty easily fall out. And the colder it is, the stiffer the cable gets (particularly thicker V2 cables), which can prevent the connector from aligning nicely with the holster.
No idea of these hypotheses actually played any part in the recent debacle tho.
Agree with your observations. Once after charging at a level 2 in below zero fahrenheit it slipped out of holster and dinged my rear fender. Not as bad with V3.

There is opportunity for Tesla to refine the V4 design to address your issues. I hope they take it seriously and not just call it FUD and user error.

Agree 100% with the above comments on design and usage problems.

And.... any official word from Tesla about any of this mess? < crickets >

I took the Y out for the first time in a week since it was cold-soaking outside (no garage), but plugged in. Just had to! Got all the way up to the mid 20'sºF. So where to drive to on my afternoon journey?

Oakbrook SC (the one most in the news) was back to it's usual self today as if nothing had happened. 100% up, and half full of Teslas, slightly less than the number of cars it usually sees that time of day. Looked as if one bricked white Model 3 had been pushed off to the north of it.

i-4LzPBGt-X3.jpg

Last edited:
A lot don't want to install a community station, as that's expensive, will not be profitable, and it will cost all the owners money regardless of what they drive. It also makes the least sense, and introduces a lot of other issues.
If the condo owner is willing to pay all the costs to install a line to their parking space, then that generally isn't an issue. Now that may or may not make financial sense for the owner depending on the complexity of the run. That's what I did at one property.
Running individual lines to parking spots isn't going to work in many/most condos and apartments. the distances are too far and/or there are obstacles in the way. While I have a garage and my own L2 charger, I drive right by a new apartment complex. The 5 story, 220 unit building is on one side of the street and the 300+ parking lot on the other. Parking is unassigned currently from what I see.. The only way to add charging there is by dropping it from the overhead, 3 phase utility next to the lot on the street. Some kind of pay-through-an app charging setup would be needed as setting up banks of new utility meters assigned to tenants there is not an option.

Cities like London have put special outlets on light poles that drivers plug into with their own, coded, umbilical cord. Said cord identifies the driver account to the utility and/or property owner, picks the appropriate price, and enables charging. It would seem to me that this more properly puts the cost of most of the hardware, as well as upkeep of the hardware, onto the driver where it should properly be. There also wouldn't be lots of unused cables to get damaged and replaced, etc. as drivers simply pack up their cord/interface unit when done. It seems to me that similar, minimalistic charge ports would be far easier to add to at least part of the parking lot I drive by as opposed to banks of full charging hardware such as Chargpoint, etc. use.

I agree that HOAs and landlords aren't going to do this until they are sufficiently pushed in some way, either by tenant demand, or laws, preferably the former because at least so far, government hasn't really picked the best charging sites or equipment, or seen to it that vendors keep it in good repair.

Reactions: jsight
Guess I’ll weigh in with my thoughts. Keep in mind, you get what you pay for.

Tesla:

Queuing

• Space out cars properly to prevent backups before they happen.
  • Prioritize cars that are ready to accept a faster charge.
  • Prioritize those with a lower charge rate.
  • Prioritize those on long trips that only need a small amount to get to the next station.
  • Prioritize pull in / pull through spots for vehicles towing.
  • This is going to get more important as non-Teslas join the network, and have to park in the wrong stalls.
Tow Procedure for dead cars.

Tell them to tow to a service center, not a supercharger. In a pinch, use a level 2 if rural, but prevents blocking the supercharger, and be in the correct location should it be a larger problem.

Charge Cable Sensors.

• Sense when a charge cable has not been returned to the holster.
  • Follow the same warnings as if the door was open.
  • Do allow to drive off, but note the last user.
Occupancy Sensing

Include a radar sensor in the charger to tell if a stall is occupied. Could be for:

• A Non-Op car
  • Charger ICE’d
  • Someone remaining after charging (add to idle system).
  • Ideally add a camera and off-site monitoring for this. See if it needs to be overridden, a tow truck called, or the car pinged etc.
Visual Indicators

Turn the sign off, or something better than the current way. We currently just drape the cable over the top to signify the charger in out of order. New owners may not know this, and doubt tow truck, or rental drivers will.

Awnings.

• Snow in the stalls will suck the heat back out of the battery pack.
  • Also in the summer, the opposite happens, along with the cabin trying to stay cool. Using solar on these would help pay for the costs.
Wind Blocking

Same reasons as the awnings. Hot & cold air blowing around the car and chargers to prevent temperature changes and ice buildup.

Pull through charging.

Pet peeve (I have many. Either I’m easy to pet, or like to peeve) as someone who does actually tow (picture attached at end). If a Tow truck does bring in a car, there is no easy way to get the car into location at many superchargers without block access or chargers (sometimes both).

Queue area with L2 charging. Ideally, we would have inductive, but I’ll save that conversation for another day.

• If the station is full, this can be used to keep your cabin up to temperature.
  • If your battery is not up to temperature, you will be sent here to preheat, allowing more throughput.
  • If your car if bricked. The trickle charge will slowly bring it up to a level when the supercharger can take over.
  • If space is available, and the person really wants to charge over 80% without need or incurring a higher rate, they can do so here. This idea relies on sufficient capacity and may need additional gatekeeping.
Etiquette Rating. Tied to queuing. Given a lower status for being a poor community member.

• Consistently charging over the recommended level
  • Consistently charging to a high level when congested
  • Not returning the connector to the holster
  • Frequent idle fees
  • Not pulling out of stall after unplugging.
Tiered charge rates

• 80% double rate (normal until the maximum requested by the navigation, plus 5 minutes).
  • 85% Triple (normal until the maximum requested by the navigation, plus 5 minutes).
  • 90% Quadruple (normal until the maximum requested by the navigation, plus 5 minutes).
  • 95% Quintuple (normal until the maximum requested by the navigation, plus 5 minutes).
  • Makes up for loses in throughput (when charging by KW, since cars at the slower end of the charging curve generate less revenue per minute).
  • Trains drivers who are used to “topping off” gas tanks, not to overcharge.
  • Good for warranty costs, and bad experience out of warranty from abusing the battery.
Free supercharging

• Doesn’t apply within 50 miles of your home (unless the navigation requests you to).
  • Only applies to 80% charging (or the maximum requested by the navigation, plus 5 minutes).
  • Eliminate this as a sales tactic. Offer home charger installation credits instead.
Use of navigation to override limits will get people in the habit, so preconditioning takes place.

Go back to including travel chargers with cars.

Too many people are trying to short cut not making any charging investment, relying solely on Superchargers. Having a travel charger including encourages them to set something up at home or work. Worst case it sits in the frunk collecting dust until times like this.

CSS Adapters

• Any driver that was impacted by the Chicago incident or similar, should receive a CSS adapter.
  • If the car is being sold into an area of high supercharger congestion, or further than 50 miles from a supercharger, include the CSS adapter in the purchase.
Co-ordinate Level 2 charger installations as part of the buying experience (or after)

This is one area where the Leaf process back in 2010-11 was much better. They worked with known installers nationwide to get home level 2 chargers installed. Even being in the middle of nowhere, I was able to get a quote from someone who knew what they were doing and didn’t pad the costs. Given Tesla’s network of solar and Powerwall installers, this should be possible.

Roll Charger installation into the purchase.

Building on the above; Being able to roll the costs of a level 2 charger install into the purchase price of the car for financing, makes it much easier for the new EV owner to decide to install one.

Level 2 Network

• Has not been expanded at the same rate as sales have grown or the supercharger network.
  • Needs more active management. Been experiencing several that are non-op at hotels. The charger should communicate via the cars network connection it’s status (or lack or if geo located nearby).
  • With the switch to NACS, the opportunity to take on a Sharepoint type business is possible. Offering turn-key installations and revenue sharing.
Opening of the Supercharger Network

• Only open up stations where the cables are long enough that the car can park in the correct stall. If the charge port is on the passenger rear, or drivers front, they are going to be blocking 2 stations.
  • For the stations where this is not possible, only allow the end stall and/or tow spot
  • For the love of god, please don’t let Bolts, or any other 50KW car on the network.
  • In times of high congestion, prioritize BEVs over PHEVs (problem I’m having at some level 2’s).
Use of dynamic charge scheduling.

Basically, adjust the amperage of the charge to coincide with the departure time, not the start of charge. This allows the battery to start charging while already warm, and stay warm the entire time. The lower loses from the lower amperage will partially offset the longer period of battery heating. Would prevent cold soaking and keep the car at a ready state.

General Temperature Control

Bypass the battery when charging is complete and pull directly from the EVSE instead. Allow any normal (sentry mode, BMS, updates, etc) or extra heating loads to be feed directly from the charger to the load source, bypassing the battery. This would:

• Prevents the battery from being at a lower charge than expected in the morning. Since it stopped when it hit the threshold, then pulled out energy for these items.
  • Reduce the number of cycles placed on the battery, since it will eventually restart charging.
  • Reduce losses from storing, then pulling energy from the battery
  • Allow for higher then expected loads, like an unexpectedly cold day.
  • Would be nice to see some cell balancing done at this point also, instead of needing to go to 100% occasionally.
Semi charging.

Start standardizing the Ideally add an adapter to NACS.

Problem Reporting

Need a better method of reporting charger issues, with immediate response (ideally). Be it completely down, just damaged, or ICE’d. Need to be able to let them know so it can be resolved quickly, and marked down.

Charge port.

Still not the best design in freezing rain. Snow has a tendency to refreeze on it. See all odd covers available online, I’m not the only person to have had this happen.

General rants

Let people know what the towing stall is for. It’s not a “I’m just too lazy to back in” stall…

Wish we had kept going with battery swapping.

• Depleted packs could be charged off peak.
  • Could show up almost dead.
  • No need to precondition.
  • No worries over battery degradation.
  • Even shorter stops.
  • Ship has sailed on this though. Too many battery types, designs, and capacities unless someone mandates them like China.
Governmental:

Section 8:

Add the requirement for a NEMA 14-50 outlet for charger use past a certain date.

New construction:

Like the UK requirement. Require a NEMA 14-50 for charging use per parking location for all new construction and major remodels.

Manufacturer credits:

For a manufacturer to get the BEV credits, they have to have a ratio of chargers available for that connector type.

• If a home charger with installation is included, this requirement is waived.
  • If supported by a nationwide battery swapping network with high reliability, also waived.
  • This is a 50/50 mix of level 2 and DC fast charging.
  • The number is multiplied by charger up time percentage.
Rest areas:

Change the law to allow chargers to be installed at rest areas.

Incentivize chargers to be placed at these locations.

Airports & Port terminals:

Cell Phone Lots, add level 2 chargers.

Long term lots, dedicate EV spots around locations with outlets for level 1 charging. Add more outlets too. A dedicated EVSE being provided would work, but not necessary.

Workplace

Any employer with a location that has over 50 employees must install a working level 2 charger (32 amps or higher) in proportion to the combined PHEV & BEV new car sales percentage times the number of employees. Example, 10% of new car sales, and 100 employees, is 10 chargers. This number would not include chargers used for company owned or leased vehicles.

Cummins

As pittance for emissions cheating, have them do the same as VW had to. They can just buy to expand a network, but will not be eligible for the IRA for that portion.

Public venues:

Any large public venue (stadium, shopping mall, amusement park, etc.) must have an equal number of level 2 or greater chargers available to the number of required handicapped stalls. This can be for new construction, or past a certain date. A credit towards this can be given if working DC fast chargers are on site. Can be integrated into parking lot lighting (with wiring upgrades).

New Streets

Light pole level 2 charging integrated into a specified percentage of poles for new or rewired systems.

Hope you got you money's worth...
MicrosoftTeams-image (10).jpg

Reactions: Farmer