Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Market situation and outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Five-year old Kid starts Tesla Model S in a shopping mall in China, hits a baby | CarNewsChina.com - China Auto News
A local newspaper sent a reporter to the scene to investigate the situation. The reporter arrived about half an hour after the incident and found that the white car had been locked. The red car however was still open, and incredibly it was still switched on, and you-can’t-make-this-up there was another kid on the driver’s seat, with a dad watching, this time. And the bonnet was open.
The reporter reported that Tesla had taken the following measures to prevent the cars from being started and moved: a wooden block was stuffed under the brake pedal (the brake needs to be engaged for the car to start) , and there was a sticker on the touch screen saying ‘do not touch’. The wooden block can be seen on the picture of the red car. Tesla personnel on the booth said the same measures were in place in the white car, but that was obviously not good enough.
A brake block and a sticker was all Tesla did. They didn’t disable the accelerator, they didn’t disconnect any flying-by-wire wires, they didn’t put the electronic handbrake on, and they didn’t put any blocks in front of the wheels. Amazing amateurism, and extremely dangerous. That baby could have been dead.

On a different note, this documentary on pollution in China is going viral. I skimmed it last night before bed - a lot of it on diesel trucks and how they getaway not complying with emissions standards. They visit LA as an example of how to model a solution, and interview CARB. Could help raise awareness towards the carbon and emissions problems in China and indirectly advance the EV cause.

'Under The Dome' Video: China's 'Silent Spring' Fossil-Fuels Wakeup On Air Pollution?

I'm speechless. They kept a car on and ready to go with just a touch of the pedal in an open space in a crowded mall?
In the west, this would almost certainly result in a lawsuit against Tesla, and rightly so! They were recklessly endangering their customers and the wider public.
Whoever was in charge here had better be one of those laid off under the current restructuring.

A bunch of amateurs I tell ya. SMH.

The child starting the Tesla story might exemplify the difference btw Tesla US and China. I could never imagine anyone part of Tesla US shoving a block of wood under a brake and then showing an MS as a finished display in any mall here. When I saw the wood block in that Tesla it reeked of rank amateurism. I could be wrong though as this is just one example. But combine this with Tesla China CS telling interested buyers that it is extremely difficult to install home charging and I'm SMH also.

I find it hard to understand how this could of happened. They must of left the key fob in the car? Why on earth would they do that? Also because these are direct sales stores from Tesla, this looks very bad for Tesla. Not like they can blame an amateur dealer.

On a different note, this documentary on pollution in China is going viral. I skimmed it last night before bed - a lot of it on diesel trucks and how they getaway not complying with emissions standards. They visit LA as an example of how to model a solution, and interview CARB. Could help raise awareness towards the carbon and emissions problems in China and indirectly advance the EV cause.

'Under The Dome' Video: China's 'Silent Spring' Fossil-Fuels Wakeup On Air Pollution?

News reports in the US of about one week ago noted that Chinese authorities were praising the documentary for its positive tone, and that it had been downloaded on the order of two hundred million times (even for China, that seems to me like an impossibly high number).
News reports in the US from this week note that the authorities have changed their mind, and the documentary no longer is accessible in China. Sic semper tyranni and all that (nominative plural, for those who query the spelling.....)

I find it hard to understand how this could of happened. They must of left the key fob in the car? Why on earth would they do that? Also because these are direct sales stores from Tesla, this looks very bad for Tesla. Not like they can blame an amateur dealer.

It looks bad, but you can't blame Tesla for a handful of ignorant employees. Surely the Chinese are use to these sorts of screw ups from it's 300,000,000 plus of uneducated working class. This is why western products sells so well in China, because of its quality and careful inspection, attention to details, etc. BTW, as long as Tesla the vehicle doesn't accelerate by itself like some GM and Toyota vehicles, there's no such thing as bad publicity. Anyone with half a brain can dissect this fiasco when watching the news.. I hope the Chinese media jumps on this story.

Can you elaborate with more numbers of how well Tesla is doing in Hong Kong? I'm curious.

Markwj in the HK forum is keeping up to date with the numbers. We don't know the Model S numbers but total EV's are as follows

September: +99

October: +166
November: +51
December: +329

This would be largely split between the BMW i3 and Model S. I see many more Model S than i3 so make of it what you will. Tesla is well known in HK and is a success. This is especially good in that charging is very difficult here for most people as their apartment complexes simply won't install high speed chargers or wall connectors and if they do they charge "rent". Also Tesla is clearly having trouble finding locations for new Superchargers.

1 out of 19 new car registrations are EV's, right now. We added more EV's in December alone than total cars in the territory in 2013.

Great! Thanks for sharing.

Markwj in the HK forum is keeping up to date with the numbers. We don't know the Model S numbers but total EV's are as follows

This would be largely split between the BMW i3 and Model S. I see many more Model S than i3 so make of it what you will. Tesla is well known in HK and is a success. This is especially good in that charging is very difficult here for most people as their apartment complexes simply won't install high speed chargers or wall connectors and if they do they charge "rent". Also Tesla is clearly having trouble finding locations for new Superchargers.

1 out of 19 new car registrations are EV's, right now. We added more EV's in December alone than total cars in the territory in 2013.

EVs at 5% market share in HK already, that's pretty impressive. I wonder what other countries are at that level of penetration? Norway, I believe.

Yeah, 5% of new private car sales (for the past six months or so, since Tesla and BMW started delivering). Figure for December alone was 15% of new private car registrations being pure EVs.

Of course, we have a way to go to get to 5% of cars on the road ;-)

Yeah, 5% of new private car sales (for the past six months or so, since Tesla and BMW started delivering). Figure for December alone was 15% of new private car registrations being pure EVs.

Of course, we have a way to go to get to 5% of cars on the road ;-)

wow thats very impressive. thx for sharing guys

Anyone know how Japanese sales are doing?
It seems like we have 300 or so Model S's in Japan. Somebody (maybe Tesla) asked the JAIA to include Tesla into others category.
Japan Automobile Importers Association New Registrations of Imported Vehicles

We have almost zero Tesla presence here. Some magazine coverage but it seems Tesla doesn't understand people don't read magazines anymore. Billboards on the Tokyo showroom says it's no compromise, but nobody understand it's electric.

Time to spend more money on organic media such as social media, finding an enthusiastic media reporters or exhibiting at various consumer shows.