Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Market situation and outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the recent press release call, Elon said that they are seeing a uptick in sales and things are going quite well in a gradual manner. I also followed up on a lead in Tesla china (works in the field/sales/customer ops) he was not let go as part of the re-org. To me, it was a good sign because the guy is good and travels among different regions in China.

Regarding Tesla in China, I think the iPhone is a great comparison. If you want a $10,000 designer iPhone, there are plenty of companies that sell them.

Chinese Students in U.S. Boost Luxury Car Sales - Businessweek

Luxury Gifts & 24k Gold Plating Services | Goldgenie, London
LUX IPHONE 6 IN WHITE FINISHED IN 24K YELLOW GOLD WITH DIAMOND LOGO 128GB - Brikk | Lux iPhone 6 and Lux Apple Watch now available in yellow gold, pink gold and platinum with diamond options

No, I am not posting these links to promote these websites haha, and yes, these websites are real...

I am also sure that Tesla has as much to learn about doing business with Chinese consumers as Chinese consumers have to learn about business that have principles beyond money.

You may be on to something. Tesla offers much "fairer" pricing in China than other luxury cars. The Model S has basically the same price in all markets, with adjustments for transportation, tariffs, and taxes. Including China. But if other makes have higher prices in China, and also offer a big (cough) "rebate" to the buyer, then the buyer is much more likely to direct his company to buy from that make, instead of a Model S with no bundle of cash in the glovebox.

I hope that in time, enough Chinese customers will prefer Tesla's approach to business.

GSP

First P85D delivered in China
d778f16cjw1eqefrk7hu9j21kw16o7ao.jpg
d778f16cjw1eqefs2oubwj21120rsn17.jpg
d778f16cjw1eqefzwyxnmj216o1kwwmq.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread-c-2357-39538806-1.html

Tesla Feb. sales in China 74, Jan.-Feb. 173 total. I doubt the accuracy of this number, but it might be not far away from the reality, which means the China Q4 order # dropped really really bad. It's possible a lot of orders converted to D models, but P85D just started delivery from 03/22, so it won't help Q1 data much.

Tesla Feb. sales in China 74, Jan.-Feb. 173 total. I doubt the accuracy of this number
Those are the numbers from the Ministry of Information :

China:
January production
6599 new energy vehicles (PHEV+BEV+HFCV)
2108 passenger BEV
2278 passenger PHEV
1343 commercial BEV
870 commercial PHEV

February production
5260 new energy vehicles
2029 passenger BEV
1691 passenger PHEV
827 commercial BEV
713 commercial PHEV

January sales
12853 new energy vehicles
6519 BEV
6334 PHEV
4861 new energy passenger cars
2220 passenger BEV
2641 passenger PHEV
99 Tesla imported
2 BMW i3 imported

February sales (car market down overall)
12440 new energy vehicles
5996 BEV
6444 PHEV
4433 new energy passenger cars
2326 passenger BEV
2107 passenger PHEV
74 Tesla imported
1 BMW i3 imported

500_03516450-1047-4fmk8jvg.jpg

You can see the sales per new energy car here.
note that BMW/Tesla numbers are "imports", so it doesn't account for inventory sales.

found here: 2015å¹´2月新能æº￾车产销动æ€￾以å￾Šç”³è´*状æ€￾_行业-网上车市

(I'll get the direct http://www.miit.gov.cn/ link as soon as I find it)

Edit: I updated the numbers with official information where possible:
2015å¹´1ï¼￾2月新能æº￾汽车产销é‡￾高速增长
2015å¹´2月新能æº￾汽车产é‡￾å￾Œæ¯”增长近5å€￾

Last edited:
Elon musk will visit China this week. Surprise?
http://www.weibo.com/teslaofficial

新一周开始给大家一个好消息。@ElonMusk 将在本周再次来到中国。这次,你有什么想问的吗?

Translation "A good news at the beginning of the week. Elon Musk will visit China again this week. What questions do you want to ask?"

I think there must have some interesting comments from Elon about China market. This is Elon's 1st visit since last year's launch event.

Last edited:
Tesla may partner with Chongqing to build plant in China

Perhaps this is the reason why Elon is going to China

US electric car marker Tesla Motors may partner with auto manufacturers in Chongqing to build factories, after reportedly sizing up Chongqing-based auto manufacturer Lifan Group and Chang'an Automobile Group on March 16, reports Shanghai's National Business Daily.

China made cars are not affected by tariffs. Also, exemption of vehicle purchase taxes for new energy vehicles could mean savings in the order of $11,000 - $13,000 per car.

That has been confirmed by Tesla as rumor. Also it's not good to choose 2nd or 3rd tier car manufacturer as partner in China. But I do think Elon's trip might give surprise on other speculations, for example
1) purchase tax waiver
2) charging compatibility with state standard

Perhaps this is the reason why Elon is going to China

China made cars are not affected by tariffs. Also, exemption of vehicle purchase taxes for new energy vehicles could mean savings in the order of $11,000 - $13,000 per car.

It is not entirely true that Tesla doesn't qualify for incentives in China because of the charging standard Tesla uses. There are a number of ways for Tesla to "get on the list." The requirements and deadlines for qualifying are a bit difficult to find, but the requirements are very clear. BMW is under a lot of government scrutiny in China but still qualifies. Why wouldn't Tesla? My guess is the Model S and Model X don't need subsidies to sell well in China. However, if China wants to replicate the successful policies of Norway, it might be viewed as a good thing to do.

三部委通告å…å¾æ–°èƒ½æºè½¦è´*置税_è¯åˆ¸æ—¶æŠ¥ç½‘

"It is worth mentioning that the new energy vehicles exempt from vehicle purchase tax policy involves covering all three categories in the domestic sales of new energy vehicles, preferential policies for the first time involved in imported cars.But exempt from vehicle purchase tax policy does not cover ordinary hybrid cars.
This means that a precedent had new energy vehicle subsidies does not involve imported cars will be broken in the future when consumers buy Tesla, BMW, Chevrolet and other imported car prices of pure electric vehicles are expected to obtain purchase tax-free treatment.
It is reported that the pair are exempt from vehicle purchase tax exemption limit is not set limits. Will be included in the "catalog" of new energy vehicles, pure electric continued Chi mileage terms, passenger cars, trucks and special vehicles need at least 80 kilometers, passenger demand in more than 150 kilometers.
As of the first half of 2014, China's new energy automobile production 20 692, 20 477 sales, production and annual sales of more than 2013, while the previous release of "energy-saving and new energy automotive industry development plan (2012-2020)", the requirement to 2015 pure electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid car production and sales total 500,000.
In order to achieve planning objectives, promoting new energy vehicles in the domestic market-oriented development, the recent government policy played a "combined", in addition to clear the purchase of new energy vehicles will be exempt from tax, but also includes the State Council issued "on accelerating new guidance "energy vehicles to promote the application of, clearly want a pure electric drive is the main strategic orientation of new energy vehicle development, out of speeding up charging facilities, and promote public service area of ​​the first application, improve subsidy policy system, and resolutely get rid of local protection six remedy; and many ministries jointly issued the "government agencies and public institutions to buy new energy vehicles embodiment." Clearly defined until 2016, the central state organs and the inclusion of new energy vehicles to promote the application of the city's government offices and public institutions, the purchase of new energy vehicles accounting for the proportion of the total update with not less than 30% increase in subsequent years."

Last edited:
Elon Musk will attend "Boao forum for Asia annual conference", 03/26-03/29 2015. I guess he should have other agenda to visit Tesla stores, meet with Tesla owners etc.
http://english.boaoforum.org/

A lot of Asian government leaders will attend the conference, tons of govenment ministers will also be there. It's a great opportunity for Tesla to improve the government relationship.
XI Jinping, together with 15 other foreign leaders to attend the BFA Annual Conference upon invitation

Here is the Elon Musk speech agenda:
Sunday, March 29
07:00 –08:30

Dialogue: Technology & Innovation for a Sustainable Future

Moderator-
Robin LI, Co-Founder, Chairman & CEO, Baidu

Speakers
-
Bill GATES, Co-chair and Trustee, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
-
Elon MUSK, CEO, Tesla Motors

If Tesla has so many extra cars in China they should consider shipping them to Korea. Telsa's international expansion plans seem schizophrenic at best. I don't understand why they tried to expand into China before opening in Korea. BMW already sold over 100 BMW i8's @$190k a pop. http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2015/03/388_175999.html
I think Tesla could easily sell a couple thousand model S annually in Korea, even with a single store in Seoul. Bentley's number #1 dealership in the world is in Seoul and Maserati sold over 700 cars in Korea this past year.
With BMWs common in Gangnam, Koreans splurge on Bentleys, Maseratis

If Tesla has so many extra cars in China they should consider shipping them to Korea. Telsa's international expansion plans seem schizophrenic at best. I don't understand why they tried to expand into China before opening in Korea. BMW already sold over 100 BMW i8's @$190k a pop. http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2015/03/388_175999.html
I think Tesla could easily sell a couple thousand model S annually in Korea, even with a single store in Seoul. Bentley's number #1 dealership in the world is in Seoul and Maserati sold over 700 cars in Korea this past year.
With BMWs common in Gangnam, Koreans splurge on Bentleys, Maseratis

Aren't EVs not allowed to drive on the motorways in Korea?