Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Market situation and outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No much details released, so I guess some agreement achieved under table. Basically there are two points which Tesla has advantage:
1) The guy not only registered the Chinese trademark but also copied the Tesla Logo (T), so it's more obvious like a "malicious" registration;
2) It's good timing for Tesla to enter Chinese market, so the goverment must have done sth. to push for the under table agreement.

Curiosity question and off topic some: There was a Chinese man who held the naming right 'tesla' several months ago. It appeared that Tesla was going to have to sell their cars in China under another name. Suddenly and with no explanation Tesla had the right to use their name. A settlement had obviously been reached with this individual. Any word on what the details on this solution in the Chinese media?

No much details released, so I guess some agreement achieved under table. Basically there are two points which Tesla has advantage:
1) The guy not only registered the Chinese trademark but also copied the Tesla Logo (T), so it's more obvious like a "malicious" registration;
2) It's good timing for Tesla to enter Chinese market, so the goverment must have done sth. to push for the under table agreement.

My understanding of China is that another quiet solution to this kind of problem could be that the guy is now missing, nowhere to be found? He could be in jail or perhaps "relocated" to a rural part of the country, by order of the central government?

My understanding of China is that another quiet solution to this kind of problem could be that the guy is now missing, nowhere to be found? He could be in jail or perhaps "relocated" to a rural part of the country, by order of the central government?

Most governments abuse power one way or the other and to differing degrees, often as much as they can get away with.

I think there is a lot of progress in China on many levels. I would give Chinese government a lot of credit for that progress.

Hi All, first post, figured my time was best spent in this thread as i might have a few helpful points as well as have a few questions that hopefully someone could answer
Just reserved a Model X in China
They gave me a reservation number as 1268. I had to call beijing tesla to get this number as they usually don't give it out. Reason being is they take reservations from all over China but do not deliver unless the delivery city has at least a service centre, to ensure customer service standards. So, with this being the case, the RN is a bit arbitrary, but is still a good number to know.

Not sure if mentioned already, but Telsa cars are not allowed to use regular wall sockets to charge. From what I gathered from their rep in beijing, this is because of unreliable power outlets that are prone to fires and malfunctions. They will not be able to use government installed EV charging posts or stations as well. Not 100% sure why, but my understanding was same as the wall socket dilemma. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong as i could have misunderstood. If anyone owns a model s in china, please voice your experience as this is a major for me actually following up on purchasing a model x.

the Model S, which i originally wanted to purchase is not offered the option of rear facing seats. This is due to china govt regulations. a deal breaker for me when deciding

they are opening up a dealer in Shenzhen in july.

Net access is through China Unicom

Maps are not available though google but are available through a third party supplier in both english and Chinese

In shenzhen at least, where I'm stationed, there are no subsidies as of yet.

They are building four superchargers in guangdong, two in shenzhen, one in guanghzou, and one in another location, possibly zhuhai.

Anyways hope this helps some. glad to be a part of this community!

Hi All, first post, figured my time was best spent in this thread as i might have a few helpful points as well as have a few questions that hopefully someone could answer
They gave me a reservation number as 1268. I had to call beijing tesla to get this number as they usually don't give it out. Reason being is they take reservations from all over China but do not deliver unless the delivery city has at least a service centre, to ensure customer service standards. So, with this being the case, the RN is a bit arbitrary, but is still a good number to know.

Not sure if mentioned already, but Telsa cars are not allowed to use regular wall sockets to charge. From what I gathered from their rep in beijing, this is because of unreliable power outlets that are prone to fires and malfunctions. They will not be able to use government installed EV charging posts or stations as well. Not 100% sure why, but my understanding was same as the wall socket dilemma. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong as i could have misunderstood. If anyone owns a model s in china, please voice your experience as this is a major for me actually following up on purchasing a model x.

the Model S, which i originally wanted to purchase is not offered the option of rear facing seats. This is due to china govt regulations. a deal breaker for me when deciding

Maps are not available though google but are available through a third party supplier in both english and Chinese

They are building four superchargers in guangdong, two in shenzhen, one in guanghzou, and one in another location, possibly zhuhai.

Welcome and EXCELLENT first post. Keep the China info coming. Many here believe China is the key to Tesla success

Welcome Blake. Thanks for the valuable information. Probably you are the first member coming directly from China market? Are you also investor of TSLA stock? Please keep us updated for the first-hand information from Southern China (Shenzhen and Guangzhou). As Tesla already stir the market in Beijing and Shanghai, I expect the high-tech city like Shenzhen will be more enthusiastic to Tesla cars.

Some of your specific questions wrt. the usage in China can be answered better in AutoHome Model S forum, see link http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/forum-c-2357-1.html?pvareaid=101647

Welcome Blake. Thanks for the valuable information. Probably you are the first member coming directly from China market? ....

Most probably not - View Profile: xdguo - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum
xdguo was an earlier member - and also one of the first to take a Model S delivery in China.

On separate note, 2 more newsworthy events from China:

Tesla's transparent pricing for the world is starting to stir network news coverage of China import pricing policies

1) ¾*¼Ã°ëСʱ_°Ù¶ÈÊÓƵ
Sorry its in Chinese but you can make out the comparisons of China vs US prices of major luxury imports. This is surely generating positive news coverage for Tesla.

2) Chinese entrepreneur is driving a Model S from Beijing to GuangZhou on the North South highway and advocating private financing of charging stations along the way.
http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread-c-2357-30534433-1.html (do a Google translate).
Note that the charging stations are universal (for BYD, Tesla etc), so they would be complimentary to Tesla's Superchargers.

Most probably not - View Profile: xdguo - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum
xdguo was an earlier member - and also one of the first to take a Model S delivery in China.

On separate note, 2 more newsworthy events from China:

Tesla's transparent pricing for the world is starting to stir network news coverage of China import pricing policies

1) ¾*¼Ã°ëСʱ_°Ù¶ÈÊÓƵ
Sorry its in Chinese but you can make out the comparisons of China vs US prices of major luxury imports. This is surely generating positive news coverage for Tesla.

2) Chinese entrepreneur is driving a Model S from Beijing to GuangZhou on the North South highway and advocating private financing of charging stations along the way.
http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread-c-2357-30534433-1.html (do a Google translate).
Note that the charging stations are universal (for BYD, Tesla etc), so they would be complimentary to Tesla's Superchargers.

I inferred from Blake's first post above that in China you can only charge a Tesla with a special connection you install at your house or a Tesla Supercharger, is that not true?

Thanks for the response guys! Im still 50/50 on weather to get this model X. Love the car, have a model s in the US, but would really want one in China where I drive 60km a day and regularly make trips of around 200km one way to guangzhou. Also, price of electricity here in china for EVs is subsidised in most cities. From .19USD to around .05usd, at least in Shenzhen. However, from what i gathered, Tesla cars are not able to take advantage of these savings due to the fact that they are not able to use anything but tesla wall chargers. Seems like a shot in the foot, but the rep said that they are not allowed due to unreliable sources of electricity. Damage to the charger and the battery could occur.

1) ¾*¼Ã°ëСʱ_°Ù¶ÈÊÓƵ
Sorry its in Chinese but you can make out the comparisons of China vs US prices of major luxury imports. This is surely generating positive news coverage for Tesla.Hopefully!!!!! A corvette 2015 model is going to be retailed for over 200,000usd here. Granted pricing was put forth before China ended its tax on US cars, but Tesla should make a difference. A range Rover Sport is 1.3 million RMB or a little over 200,000USD!!!! The wife wanted one, went to the dealership, they are even making a hybrid diesel extended cab version of the sport for China, but a mark up of over 3x is hard to fathom. Go Tesla!! Even unimproved luxury cars are marked up here. Our E series mercedes produced in Beijing was bought new for about 550,000rmb for the base model, about 90,000USD!!!! The price before and after production in china did not change much. All the profits are going towards the car makers.

This would be great news. However, from what I was told by the rep in Beijing, was that Tesla is the one to block charging through anything but their proprietary wall charger. They do not offer the mobile charger here in china and if someone were to get their hands on one, they could not use it due to the hardware behind the charger in the car. Tesla added a blocker in the car preventing unsanctioned charging. So even though charging stations are universal it would not matter unless they put up a tesla dedicated wall charger. Please correct me if I'm wrong as my chinese is very rusty.

Thanks again! Blake

Here I put what I observed:

1) home 32A charger (80A to be upgraded), all owners have it
2) super charger network, only 3 opened at this point, 11 more coming soon;
3) EV charger network provided by state grid, need to have a special adaptor to fit Tesla connector, can't support fast charging like super charger. Someone said already proved working on Model S, but to be confirmed;
4) home charger sharing platform: in order to resolve the issues lacking super charger network support, some tesla owners form a home charger sharing platform to allow owners from other cities to charge Tesla car in their home charger;
5) charging @ hotel and restaurant, it's just started as an initiative, as a pro-EV entrepreneur gives away 16 tesla chargers for free to hotels and restaurants in hope to support a barely minimum "slow" charging network from Beijing to Guangzhou. He calls for more action to follow him.

I inferred from Blake's first post above that in China you can only charge a Tesla with a special connection you install at your house or a Tesla Supercharger, is that not true?

4) home charger sharing platform: in order to resolve the issues lacking super charger network support, some tesla owners form a home charger sharing platform to allow owners from other cities to charge Tesla car in their home charger;
5) charging @ hotel and restaurant, it's just started as an initiative, as a pro-EV entrepreneur gives away 16 tesla chargers for free to hotels and restaurants in hope to support a barely minimum "slow" charging network from Beijing to Guangzhou. He calls for more action to follow him.

Amazing Tesla community and spirit arising in China:smile:

3) EV charger network provided by state grid, need to have a special adaptor to fit Tesla connector, can't support fast charging like super charger. Someone said already proved working on Model S, but to be confirmed;

Maoing, if you can try to confirm this that would be great! Also where people could buy the adapter.

Very informative post!!!

"mass" delivery around Shanghai area started from yesterday. One owner reported there are more than 100 Model S sitting on the service center lot.
http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread-c-2357-30639977-1.html

500_ad186b0f-a708-4715-bb61-460342797035.jpg
500_f2376eb6-94a6-49de-9d87-7ff1d5c7f22d.jpg

Quoted from Li Xiang's Weibo (WB), who's the President/Director of autohome (ATHM), and also he's one of the first batch Tesla owners in Beijing who got car delivered from Elon Musk on 04/23.

http://www.weibo.com/1243861097/B2DNqrgX2#!/p/1003061243861097/weibo?from=page_100306&mod=TAB#place

"Tesla sales in Beijing area is far exceeding expectation, both YiZhuang and Jingang delivery centers are very busy everyday. The elites from technology, media and telecom industries have strong purchase power"

I believe similar story will be reported in Shanghai and other major cities later on.

Last edited:
How do charger logistics work in a heavily dense urban situation? Apartment living with no standard parking infrastructure even for "regular" cars?

All, well nearly all, apartment blocks in the cities have underground parking. I called Tesla Beijing, because I am renting a place and do not have a reserved parking spot. Its up to the buyer to get their charger approved for installation from their management office. It is mandatory to buy a wall charger from tesla(about 10,000rmb or something) and have it installed at your place of residence before your car is ordered. Tesla does provide the customer with literature for the management office, but it is up to the customer to try to get it installed. Im going through this right now. We have a few EV charging ports here, but none for tesla.