Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Market situation and outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it'll be around 1500. Note only one delivery center (Beijing) was operating back to May. In June there has two (Beijing and Shanghai). Assume each delivery center has same run rate, so probably China delivery will be ended up ~1500. I guess in Q2, there will not be delivery growth to EU and US markets. All the delivery delta will be absorbed by China and UK.

You may be right. I just heard that 400 Teslas just arrived at the Shanghai port.

China Model X reservation trend:
Untitled.jpg

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...-for-the-next-surge-in-tesla-motors-incs.aspx

If there is any doubt about how robust the demand is in China, Musk summed it up nicely: "I think we'll actually have to limit the amount of cars we send to China; otherwise it would starve the rest of the world production." In other words, the single country of China alone has enough eager customers that could likely buy up all of Tesla's production.

>>>> Did Musk ever say that? I can't remember. But certainly China has big stomach to eat up 30-50% of Tesla production in coming years.

Because he didn't get his NEW model S in first batch of delivery as originally promised by TM China, then he didn't get his NEW model S in 8 weeks timeframe promised by Elon in person for whatever reason. For Tesla, he's an average customer, but he might be the celebrity in his local community. So "losing face" is the key catalyst of this strange behavior.

Btw, I observed a lot of customer complaints about the Tesla service in China althought they like the car very much. It's a fact that only 1 show room, 2 service centers, 3 super chargers openned in China so far. How can this infrastructure support so called fastest growing market and thousands of orders waiting for delivery?

Because he didn't get his NEW model S in first batch of delivery as originally promised by TM China, then he didn't get his NEW model S in 8 weeks timeframe promised by Elon in person for whatever reason. For Tesla, he's an average customer, but he might be the celebrity in his local community. So "losing face" is the key catalyst of this strange behavior.

Btw, I observed a lot of customer complaints about the Tesla service in China althought they like the car very much. It's a fact that only 1 show room, 2 service centers, 3 super chargers openned in China so far. How can this infrastructure support so called fastest growing market and thousands of orders waiting for delivery?

According to WSJ:

Last week, Mr. Yu said, he was told by Tesla that his Model S was seized by Chinese customs because the record number on the customs declaration statement didn’t match the car’s vehicle identify number, and that delivery would be further delayed.

This is what I meant for "whatever reason". IMO, TM should have done more careful preparation work to avoid this further delay happening, it's not sth. absolutely not under control.

So here we have a brand new Company market entry with a very high demand product, lots of government intertwining issues to resolve, with a delayed delivery 'for whatever reason' -
thereby who's process is characterized as 'absolutely not under control;
This characterization brought about suddenly by a customer who, as a result of 'losing face' over bragging rights, proceeds to what? Smash the car in protest-
Who is 'not under control' again? - I think I lost that part

So here we have a brand new Company market entry with a very high demand product, lots of government intertwining issues to resolve, with a delayed delivery 'for whatever reason' -
thereby who's process is characterized as 'absolutely not under control;
This characterization brought about suddenly by a customer who, as a result of 'losing face' over bragging rights, proceeds to what? Smash the car in protest-
Who is 'not under control' again? - I think I lost that part

Completely agree. Anyone who smashes up a car's windshield to protest perceived wrongs for which they were not harmed in any way loses all respect and sympathy as far as I'm concerned.

This is what I meant for "whatever reason". IMO, TM should have done more careful preparation work to avoid this further delay happening, it's not sth. absolutely not under control.

This is actually one of Tesla Motors weakest points. There were many cases of similar things happening in the U.S. as well. No company is perfect, and there are MUCH worse things that could be wrong. The guy smashing his windshield is completely unreasonable, no matter how upset he is. His windshield though, so smash away... He just looks like a moron in my book.

This is actually one of Tesla Motors weakest points. There were many cases of similar things happening in the U.S. as well. No company is perfect, and there are MUCH worse things that could be wrong. The guy smashing his windshield is completely unreasonable, no matter how upset he is. His windshield though, so smash away... He just looks like a moron in my book.

I thought Americans were crazy, but perhaps the Chinese are much crazier