Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

China Market situation and outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The article said the inventory car does exist as demo/test drive cars and some are also from cancelled order. I think it's no difference from other markets including US. Sales through Tmall is just a way to sell inventory cars and I don't see it has much difference than selling directly from stores.

More on China Stock Cars, orphaned vehicles?
Also more indication its official Tesla sale on T mall

http://www.d1ev.com/35491.html

Here you go regarding 1000 cars a month, he actually said 300-400 a week, so even more. He also said not reaching it would be a bad sign.
Use google translate

Tesla-Chef Elon Musk greift BMW, Daimler und Audi in Deutschland an - manager magazin

That magazine does not quote Musk saying that it simply says "Until the end of 2014 Tesla will deliver 200 to 300 cars per week to Germany, so about 1000 a month"

He did say not succeeding in Germany is a bad sign. He also thought Tesla would do quite poorly initially in China. Early success in China trumps early disappointment in Germany.

On the same vein we need to also be circumspect of Elon's claim of reducing battery costs by 30% or more when Gen 3 hits the market, and keeping Gen 3 under $35K

Let us not confuse between his genuine desire, intention, hope and what his crystal ball says, and what might actually happen. There may be other forces - engineering, technological or marketing - that he may have simply overlooked at this time. Only time will tell.

Given the latest commentary from the Earnings Call on this target I don't see a miss of the 30% mark as possible.

Yes, to be precise about our prediction was that we felt comfortable with at least a 30% improvement in cost or reduction in cost just based on the location and economies of scale. That's without taking any technology improvements into account and we will certainly do technology improvements. If we can't get to 30% even without technology improvements, somebody should shoot us because that would be in complete defiance of economies of scale and obvious cost savings.

Pretty much saying there is no way they don't get at least 30%

It looks like 31 Supercharger locations, each with multiple plugs of course, are live in China.

Superchargers

Great work by Tesla's employees in China and also the Utilities and construction workers in China.

GSP

PS. Elon said he was impressed by the quality of the recruits Tesla is finding in China.

It looks to me like Tesla is aggressively expanding in Europe at the moment. Is it because of a high increase in demand from the Model SD?

So what has Tesla done to show aggressive expansion in Europe?
1. Nearly tripled their assembly plant size by moving to a new plant in Tilburg, Netherlands.
2. 10 superchargers added in 7 days
3. 10 superchargers in construction and fast supercharger expansion for the winter
4. Europe has 20 stores coming soon out of the 27 coming soon in the world. Europe also has 13 service centers coming soon out of the 37 coming soon in the world (19 of which are in North America).

This was my post in the European market situation and outlook thread. It is good to see such expansion in Europe, but I don't see the same kind of expansion in Asia/China, which is supposed to be a rapidly growing market for Tesla. There are currently 2 Stores and 4 service centers coming soon in China, and the amount of superchargers hasn't changed much at all. I wonder if Asia is turning out not as well as Europe in terms of demand?

This was my post in the European market situation and outlook thread. It is good to see such expansion in Europe, but I don't see the same kind of expansion in Asia/China, which is supposed to be a rapidly growing market for Tesla. There are currently 2 Stores and 4 service centers coming soon in China, and the amount of superchargers hasn't changed much at all. I wonder if Asia is turning out not as well as Europe in terms of demand?

Are you sure you are seeing the latest data?

Charts on Supercharge.info

China has 35 open Superchargers, more than any other country except for the U.S. Asia has gained 34 since July 1st.

An interesting point and thanks for gathering the data! It seems like there is a natural lag between Tesla's introduction of the Model S in a new market and the growth of service and charging infrastructure there. Tesla has been selling in Europe for 16 months, whereas they have only been selling in China for 6 months. So even if the demand is constant and equal there would be 2.7x as many cars needing service and using supercharges.

I think the store numbers might be more telling, because opening stores is one of the main indicators of where Tesla wants to grow demand. So naively this would make me think they are happy with demand in China but would like more in Europe. It is also possible that China simply gets more demand per store since they have more mega-cities which can be served by a single large store for now.

I went to a mall today and as I was unpacking my kids (2.5 and 4 months old) from my S a young Asian couple came up to me. The lady asked if I could tell her what car seat I use for the baby (Chicco) as she is pregnant and they have a Tesla back in China.
I asked some questions and found out they got it in June, in the 2nd batch of cars delivered to China. They say in China it is a very fair price, especially with the lower import tax rate. They said they are almost at 40 Superchargers in China and Tesla is growing very fast in China from what they know. They said Tesla is still very popular and sold out in China. They do not own the stock but they have friends who do and have made a lot of money on it.

This is is all stuff we already know and have discussed on here but it was nice to get confirmation of the demand and perception of Tesla from a couple of young Chinese citizens visiting the US. They are very happy with their Tesla back home.

I went to a mall today and as I was unpacking my kids (2.5 and 4 months old) from my S a young Asian couple came up to me. The lady asked if I could tell her what car seat I use for the baby (Chicco) as she is pregnant and they have a Tesla back in China.
I asked some questions and found out they got it in June, in the 2nd batch of cars delivered to China. They say in China it is a very fair price, especially with the lower import tax rate. They said they are almost at 40 Superchargers in China and Tesla is growing very fast in China from what they know. They said Tesla is still very popular and sold out in China. They do not own the stock but they have friends who do and have made a lot of money on it.

This is is all stuff we already know and have discussed on here but it was nice to get confirmation of the demand and perception of Tesla from a couple of young Chinese citizens visiting the US. They are very happy with their Tesla back home.

That is great to hear. As you said we know all that info but still really great to get a 1st hand account...(or second now I guess)

modelx.png

China super charger station coverage as of today, it reached 38 now. Also Tesla China recently hired 500th employee. I think Tesla is set for great growth in 2015!

Tesla's Supercharger maps create an unrealistic impression. Tesla draws 265 mile (or so) radius circles around each SC. Thus, SCs separated by 500 miles appear to have continuous coverage between them. For example, the map shows continuous shading between Beijing and Qingdao, but it's 445 miles by the shortest route.

The 265-mile circles are (sort of) reasonable for asking the question, "Where can I drive from a Supercharger?" You'd want to use much smaller circle, though, if you wanted to know what points you could drive between and still charge your car.

Tesla's Supercharger maps create an unrealistic impression. Tesla draws 265 mile (or so) radius circles around each SC. Thus, SCs separated by 500 miles appear to have continuous coverage between them. For example, the map shows continuous shading between Beijing and Qingdao, but it's 445 miles by the shortest route.

The 265-mile circles are (sort of) reasonable for asking the question, "Where can I drive from a Supercharger?" You'd want to use much smaller circle, though, if you wanted to know what points you could drive between and still charge your car.
Great point. Someone else, I don't remember who, posted this link here before, but I'm repeating it because it's relevant to your point (and also very useful in general):

Superchargers

It shows the current status of supercharger construction, and it doubles as a trip planner. It requires a bit more clicking than necessary, but after you choose your radius, you can turn off all the circles (which are enabled by default) and only enable the ones you're interested in. The variable radius makes it useful for trip planning.

For instance, this is what it looks like for China with a radius of 130 miles:

supercharger.png