Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this happened. I have been cleaning my car with a pressure washer and soap at least 5 times now.

Today I was trying to get a small dot dirt on the car and then caused this..
20190405_202411.jpg
20190405_202403.jpg

Whta do I do?

I was using a tip specially for delicate items like cars (like it says in the instructions use for cars)

I'm super bummed.

Help? Will tesla fix this? This is not supposed to happen washing the car. 20190405_202411.jpg 20190405_202403.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Johnii__82
It does a good job of getting stuff off quicker and rinsing off the car quicker. It's like a hose and towel in one.

I've seen it done before. Does a great job of foaming and you cna apply the soap much quicker.

I know... It's a lesson learned

So this happened. I have been cleaning my car with a pressure washer and soap at least 5 times now.

Today I was trying to get a small dot dirt on the car and then caused this..
View attachment 394399 View attachment 394400
Whta do I do?

I was using a tip specially for delicate items like cars (like it says in the instructions use for cars)

I'm super bummed.

Help? Will tesla fix this? This is not supposed to happen washing the car. View attachment 394399 View attachment 394400

Is that a paint drip to the upper right?

Regardless, Tesla should fix it but I suspect they won’t. There is no way a pressure should be able to take the paint off a car without an underlying defect. I have about 10 delivery trucks not including my personal ones. I also have a farm truck and an off-road vehicle. They all get pressure washed regularly, especially the farm truck and off road vehicle and none have ever had that issue.

Tesla should fix it? Did you see the comment above where someone noticed the Owner's Manual states Caution? Sounds like it we just a bit overboard.

He may have screwed up or it may have been a paint defect. I own a business that applies coatings and know that sometimes defects appear after some amount of time. It’s not like Tesla has a spectacular record with their paint. In fact their paint quality has really been terrible as evidenced by the posts in this forum and the fact that they had to repaint 3 panels on my car due to debris and my rear bumper due to a legit paint drip. I don’t think Tesla has earned the benefit of the doubt with respect to paint.

That sucks, I use a pressure washer too. Often with the widest tip it can struggle to even pull off bugs so there is no way it should have been able to do that.

The idea is to remove as much contaiminents as possible before scrubbing the car. Tesla does not have a good reputation for paint even though they charge so much for it..

Is that a paint drip to the upper right?

Regardless, Tesla should fix it but I suspect they won’t. There is no way a pressure should be able to take the paint off a car without an underlying defect. I have about 10 delivery trucks not including my personal ones. I also have a farm truck and an off-road vehicle. They all get pressure washed regularly, especially the farm truck and off road vehicle and none have ever had that issue.

That's water drip from me washing the car.

I have ordered the paint clip and maybe ask my detailer to apply it for me.

Meanwhile, tesla hasn't replied to my email yet.

Reactions: woodguyatl
I think everyone is missing an important fact here... the paint should not have come off that easily with a pressure washer... I have ALWAYS washed my cars with a pressure washer (Infiniti's, Toyota's, BMW's, Etc...) and I have gotten close to the paint at times to remove some stuck-on bug splatter, etc.... the paint never ripped away the way this guy's did.

The paint that Tesla uses SUCKS... I love my car to death (Model 3), but I HATE the paint (FYI, blue metallic). I've had my car 7 months and already I have nicks and scratches that any other car paint would've resisted with ease. Everyone has different solutions... wrap it... ceramic coating... but those solutions are 1) not cheap and 2) shouldn't be necessary to keep a car looking good.

I spend so much time worrying about my toddler running his hand along the paint when there's a coating of dust (yes, he did it, and left a streak in the paint), which car I park next to, "was that truck hauling sand... yes, yes it was!", and more that I can barely just enjoy the car for what it is...

As much as I love my car, if Tesla doesn't improve it's paint quality it may be the last one I buy...

Aside from whatever things make the paint less than ideal, there's also the issue that many owners are taking delivery of their vehicles very shortly after the car has been painted, unlike a traditional car that may have sat in a dealer's lot for several weeks. Not saying that was at play with the OP but could be a contributing factor for some people.

I think everyone is missing an important fact here... the paint should not have come off that easily with a pressure washer... I have ALWAYS washed my cars with a pressure washer (Infiniti's, Toyota's, BMW's, Etc...) and I have gotten close to the paint at times to remove some stuck-on bug splatter, etc.... the paint never ripped away the way this guy's did.

The paint that Tesla uses SUCKS... I love my car to death (Model 3), but I HATE the paint (FYI, blue metallic). I've had my car 7 months and already I have nicks and scratches that any other car paint would've resisted with ease. Everyone has different solutions... wrap it... ceramic coating... but those solutions are 1) not cheap and 2) shouldn't be necessary to keep a car looking good.

I spend so much time worrying about my toddler running his hand along the paint when there's a coating of dust (yes, he did it, and left a streak in the paint), which car I park next to, "was that truck hauling sand... yes, yes it was!", and more that I can barely just enjoy the car for what it is...

As much as I love my car, if Tesla doesn't improve it's paint quality it may be the last one I buy...
Spot on! I hate tesla's paint. It is the largest distractor from enjoying the car. I whine about damaging the paint so much I sound like a woman that doesnt want summer showers to rain on her new hair do. I dont even car for the shade red I have. Model S signature red is better. Hell Miata's red is better.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnii__82