Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Circuit Breaker trips while charging my Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
jcanoe: I checked and the circuit breaker is labeled 50 Amps - see below. I am assuming I should replace it with a 60 Amp breaker. Do you think that's the most probable cause?

Tesla Circuit Breaker.jpeg

I would get the electrician who installed the circuit involved. All connections should be checked and torqued to the correct spec. If the breaker continues to trip at the higher amperage charging levels it might be a defective breaker (easy for an electrician to replace the breaker and then you can readily determine if the problem is resolved.)

While charging you can lower (not raise) the amperage from within the Tesla app and from the charging screen. Example: the default charging amperage is 48 amps (based on a handshake between your Tesla Model Y and the Tesla Wall Connector.) You can lower this to 40 amps or 32 amps. Then see if the circuit breaker continues to trip.

A tripping breaker indicates a problem with the equipment or the wiring. You should have an electrician check the installation for a loose connection (this is a common problem). It is also possible that the circuit breaker is faulty (bad breaker right out of the box).

A different concern would be that the electrician used a circuit breaker with an incorrect amperage rating or that the type, gauge of wiring for a the circuit is wrong. Verify that the circuit breaker is labeled 60 amps. Charging at 48 amps requires a circuit rated for 60 amps and a 60 amp circuit breaker. (A common mistake is to install a circuit breaker rated for 50 amps thinking that this is correct and OK because when charging at home using level 2 charging (240 volts) the Tesla Model Y will only charge at up to 48 amps.)

The Wall Connector needs to be provisioned (setup) when first installed for the circuit. The Wall Connector's default setting is for a 60 amp circuit. If used on a circuit only rated for less than 60 amps, i.e. 50 amps there is a risk of the wiring overheating as the maximum safe charging amperage for a 50 amp circuit is 40 amps not 48 amps. (Correctly provisioning the Tesla Wall Connector for the charging circuit ensures that the charging amperage is correct for the circuit; limited to 80% of the circuit rating.)

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

It is possible that the Tesla Wall Connector you received is defective. If after verifying that the circuit wiring is correct and the connections are properly tightened and that the circuit breaker is OK then you should contact Tesla.

Troubleshooting a Gen 3 Wall Connector

Lastly, can you charge your Tesla Model Y without tripping a circuit breaker or without issue at other locations such a work or a public level 2 charging station? Can you charge your Tesla Model Y using a Supercharger? If you encounter issues when charging away from your home then the source of the issue may be the Tesla Model Y's charging port, wiring or on-board charger.

I would bet it's a 50 amp breaker that was commissioned for ,48 amp charging based on what he is saying. If your breaker is 50 amps you should lower it to 40 which is the max allowable charge rate for a 50 amp circuit.

I would also want to confirm what size and type of wire was used. It sounds like the circuit is overloaded/overheating.
Just replied with this exact info. Thanks

jcanoe: I checked and the circuit breaker is labeled 50 Amps - see below. I am assuming I should replace it with a 60 Amp breaker. Do you think that's the most probable cause?

View attachment 919747
Not a good idea until you know what size and type wire was used. The wire needs to be capable of supporting a 60 amp circuit.

I would have an electrician check the wiring as well. Hopefully he just made a mistake and commissioned it for a 60 amp circuit instead of a 50.

It's possible that the circuit breaker is tripping due to overloading. The charging unit for the Model Y can draw a lot of power, and if the circuit breaker is not rated for that amount of power, it can trip.

Reducing the amperage on the charging setting can help reduce the amount of power the charging unit draws, which may prevent the circuit breaker from tripping. However, this will also result in slower charging times for your vehicle.

I checked and the circuit breaker is labeled 50 Amps - see below. I am assuming I should replace it with a 60 Amp breaker. Do you think that's the most probable cause?

No no no no no no no no and ...

... no!

Why even have a breaker if you're just going to guess what it should be? Just increasing the size of the breaker is like removing it altogether

It's supposed to be the weakest link in the chain, so that if there's a problem like too much power being drawn, the breaker reacts first and trips, solving the immediate problem

If it's not he weakest link, then something else is, like the wire buried inside the walls of your house ... and how will that react to the problem? Hint: 🔥

Last edited:
Just replied with this exact info. Thanks
Reconfigure the wall connector to be on a 50A circuit (charge at 40A). You do this through the mobile app.

If the electrician installed a 50A breaker, the odds are pretty high that the wiring is only capable of supporting a 50A circuit. But, you will have to get you electrician to confirm before changing anything else.

Reactions: Rocky_H and E90alex
Reconfigure the wall connector to be on a 50A circuit (charge at 40A). You do this through the mobile app.

If the electrician installed a 50A breaker, the odds are pretty high that the wiring is only capable of supporting a 50A circuit. But, you will have to get you electrician to confirm before changing anything else.
Setting the charging amperage for the specific location via the Tesla app is not a reliable, permanent way to limit the charging amperage as the charging amperage may revert to 48 amps at any time.

To permanently configure the Wall Connector for a 50 amp (not 60 amp) circuit follow the setup process in the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector Installation Manual. You will need to enter the password (provided with the paperwork and also on a label affixed to the Wall Connector (visible when you remove the cover.)

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: davewill
Setting the charging amperage for the specific location via the Tesla app is not a reliable, permanent way to limit the charging amperage as the charging amperage may revert to 48 amps at any time.

To permanently configure the Wall Connector for a 50 amp (not 60 amp) circuit follow the setup process in the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector Installation Manual. You will need to enter the password (provided with the paperwork and also on a label affixed to the Wall Connector (visible when you remove the cover.)

I know and agree. I meant the app for the wall connector. But good clarification.