Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger tripping adjacent Breaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought that one from HF. It does the job. I randomly check my new panel when I'm charging and everything is cool. I have a 60 amp breaker installed but I dropped the wall charger down to 40 amps. That gives me fast enough charging.
I was at HF an hour after reading about the melted breaker. I charged for two hours and checked temps at the breaker, conduit 90’s, and at the wall charger itself. Breaker went up in temp 10*, wall charger 5*. No change at conduit 90’s.

I was at HF an hour after reading about the melted breaker. I charged for two hours and checked temps at the breaker, conduit 90’s, and at the wall charger itself. Breaker went up in temp 10*, wall charger 5*. No change at conduit 90’s.
What's your charger and install location details?

Sharing my charger and install details and the temps I've observed since I started checking after reading this thread too 😊

I have my gen2 WC and panel in an enclosed garage. Running 48amps for at least 2 hours, here are the highest temps I observed during warm Florida afternoons with garage door down the whole time:
Garage - 84
Breaker - 125
Conduit - 100
Charger - 119
Cable - 102
Handle -102

I hit my max temps after 1 to 2 hours. Last month I was charging a rental MYLR for a road trip from 14% to 100% inside the garage. Checked over the course of 6.5 hours of charging and temps were about the same as noted above when the garage was closed. So those appear to be my max temps at this point with my install and garage closed.

As expected, airflow does make a difference. Checked after opening garage for 30 minutes after 5 hours straight charging at 48amps and temps were 10 degrees lower for all components even breaker. So lack of airflow plays a factor when garage door is closed.

What's your charger and install location details?

Sharing my charger and install details and the temps I've observed since I started checking after reading this thread too 😊

I have my gen2 WC and panel in an enclosed garage. Running 48amps for at least 2 hours, here are the highest temps I observed during warm Florida afternoons with garage door down the whole time:
Garage - 84
Breaker - 125
Conduit - 100
Charger - 119
Cable - 102
Handle -102

I hit my max temps after 1 to 2 hours. Last month I was charging a rental MYLR for a road trip from 14% to 100% inside the garage. Checked over the course of 6.5 hours of charging and temps were about the same as noted above when the garage was closed. So those appear to be my max temps at this point with my install and garage closed.

As expected, airflow does make a difference. Checked after opening garage for 30 minutes after 5 hours straight charging at 48amps and temps were 10 degrees lower for all components even breaker. So lack of airflow plays a factor when garage door is closed.
6 gauge wire in conduit, not romax. 50amp breaker 240v. Charging at 40 amps. 45 foot run.