Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clarification questions for a new potential owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

After clarifications for someone who's new to Tesla/EV. Apologies if these have been asked before.

From what I've read, the treatment of charging the battery are different. Is the below a correct view of the standard usable range?
RWD
• Total Range: 491km
• Effective Range: 90% (100% - 10%)
• Standard usable range: 441.9km
Long Range
• Total Range: 614km
• Effective Range: 60% (80% - 20%)
• Standard usable range: 368.4km

Home solar panels. I don't currently have solar at home but was considering getting a 4kw unit (have gas water/cooking). If I do get a Tesla, what larger size unit should I be getting instead? I currently drive around 10-15kms per year.

I tried looking at the corporate benefits to see which companies are applicable but could only find the medical association. Is there a list of companies available?

Thanks in advance

Attached picture shows the longest drivers recorded by teslaFi for model 3’s
This should give you a rough idea of range for a few different model 3’s from around the world.
39444486-A026-4AE8-99EA-3FF12685B7DA.png

Reactions: CAM3RON
I can‘t help on the last question since I pay for the thing myself!
However, I think your range assumptions are using the wrong starting point, with respect.
As I’m sure you know it’s not a good idea to charge to full all the time, nor is it necessary. Unless you have the need for a long sector the Tesla has such a good range that just keeping it at say 70 - 80% is fine for most people - you can pop it up to 100% if you need to with just a little forewarning. So the “usable range” is either the 100% figure, or irrelevant!
I’ve a solar array but of course unless you have a massive one it won’t feed the house PLUS the car. What I’ve done is set the car to start charging at10.00 and the charge current to a low figure. Mind you, I’m retired so can charge during the day. I keep it at 60 - 70% unless I need to go to Sydney and back - I live 70Km North of Newcastle. My nearest “major” shopping is Raymond Terrace: since I know my car uses 10% each way range just isn’t an issue.
Enjoy driving it!

My SR+ California build gives me a REAL WORLD 100% range of 310 km of city driving, occasional a/c, some sentry mode mostly daytime driving. Lifetime average of 127 Wh/km. Car is just over 2 years old and 20k km
I always charge to 90%

Reactions: CAM3RON
From what I've read, the treatment of charging the battery are different. Is the below a correct view of the standard usable range?
RWD
• Total Range: 491km
• Effective Range: 90% (100% - 10%)
• Standard usable range: 441.9km
Long Range

Why are you saying effective range of LR is 80-20% battery charge but RWD 100-10%? Based on LFP vs NMC? Effective range of both is 100%.

Don’t apply an ICE mindset to EVs. In an ICE, most people fill the tank then drive til nearly empty. In a BEV, most people keep their cars plugged in when not in use. They don’t drive them til nearly empty then charge all the way back up to 100%. That makes little sense. Frequent or daily topping up makes more sense.

So for daily driving, a BEV owner might not charge above 80-90% nor go below 50% - but that’s irrelevant to “usable range” because for daily driving people might only be doing 10-50 km or so. No need to fully charge, nor run the battery down to zero.

Road trips are different. For that, most will charge to 100% overnight before departure and drive to potentially quite low SOCs before recharging. We have done 100%-9% in a single drive in Model 3 LR. All “usable” range.

Home solar panels. I don't currently have solar at home but was considering getting a 4kw unit (have gas water/cooking). If I do get a Tesla, what larger size unit should I be getting instead? I currently drive around 10-15kms per year.

Get the largest array on your roof you can afford. The bulk of the cost these days is the labour to install them. So you might as well max out on panels and inverter.

I have a modest 5.8 kW array because that’s the most I could cram onto my small inner-city roof using the most expensive high-power panels available at the time. But if you have a large roof, it would be more economic to install a larger number of lower-cost (but lower power) panels to get the same output.

I charge my Tesla at 4.3 kW (6A x 3 phase) from this array once my PW2 is full. You can AC charge a Model 3 at anything between 1.2 kW (5A 1 phase) and 11 kW (16A 3 phase) by selecting the charge current in the App.

You don’t need a big solar array to charge a Tesla, think of it like a hair dryer or a toaster In terms of load.

Long Range

You charge a LR to 100% for road trips which is when range is important. No issues going from 100% right down to 5%. This will get you around 480kms. More if you are hypermiling.

I tried looking at the corporate benefits to see which companies are applicable but could only find the medical association. Is there a list of companies available?

Your HR dept or professional association will be able to tell you. There is no list.

Note though, that the corporate scheme is wrapping up. It ends on orders placed by Dec 31.

Reactions: Wol747
I have a 2021 LR. So it has an LG battery which is a little smaller than some other variants (about 70kwhrs usable). Around town (Sydney) keeping it around 70% charge is more than enough for any driving, no matter how long. For long trips and 110km/hr driving I charge to 100% immediately before heading off and then I can know I am going to comfortably reach 440km. An SR+ would probably be around 310km. But things like altitude change and weather and load can have an effect. Once I'm on the road, I never have to charge over 80% which minimises time at a charger and still gives about 300+km range until another charge needed.

For solar, I have 4.3kw AC system and a 1kw DC system and batteries to about 16kwhrs. I have two EVs. Still too much solar at this time of year and we probably do about 20K kms per annum. But then some of that is away from home. In winter there is enough spare solar for around-town driving but not huge kms. Our annual average is 87% grid-free for the house. But there are only two of us with fairly frequent (staying) visitors in non-Covid times. But I am an IT nut with literally a couple of dozen computers and servers, do welding & woodwork so above normal consumption there. Evac tube HWS so almost no power use there (about $12 per annum).

If it was me in your position, I'd probably maximise the panels on the roof. My batteries are home built so they are financially well worth it. However, "your mileage might vary" on commercial battery systems but they are becoming much more cost effective. A lot depends upon usage pattern, capital cost, electricity provider and tariffs.

One thing often not considered is that Tesla is well ahead of the pack (from what I can see) in terms of efficiency. That is power-in-> battery -> kms driven. My LR uses only a few percent more than my quite-efficient, much smaller Renault Zoe. Out on the highway Tesla seems to be well ahead of just about anything else at the moment. Good aerodynamics, efficient motors, sophisticated control software.

Welcome to the forum!
Your solar question has no difinitive answer. It depends on your location, roof angle, how much day time charging you can do, plus other factors. As Vostok pointed out a few posts up you can charge at power levels used for a household appliance, so any solar system size will do that.
Just get as much solar as you can afford and/or fit on your roof, and if space is a constraint get the most efficient panels available and go micro-invertor. Solar is also seasonal, so very difficult to come up with a perfect size, although I think the perfect size is ‘as large as possible’

Thanks everyone for the responses, pretty clear I have a lot more homework to do. This is a buzzing forum and looking forward to getting more involved!

Have taken the points on the solar panel, I'll need to get some people around for quotes etc. Understand its not a clear cut answer.

Where I was coming from regarding the effective range was from some sites saying the LFP's (RWD) were supposed to be charged to 100% on a daily basis whereas for the batteries in the LR/P are supposed to be charged to 80% daily. Appreciate all the points as well regarding range anxiety, I don't have any concerns about this from a daily driving basis. The RWD (which I'd most likely get) would be sufficient. I was just a bit confused from various articles I've read.

I'll have a look at work regarding the corporate discounts. Will be going to the Chatswood showroom tomorrow to have a first feel of it. If the wife agrees I'll order ASAP.

Thanks again for everyone who's responded. Has given me more areas to start looking into.

My SR+ California build gives me a REAL WORLD 100% range of 310 km of city driving, occasional a/c, some sentry mode mostly daytime driving. Lifetime average of 127 Wh/km. Car is just over 2 years old and 20k km
I always charge to 90%
Just out of interest, what size battery is that? I ask because my S is Jan 2020, 13,500 Km or so and has an indicated 595Km at 100% - my own real world actual is something like 560Km. Yours seems rather low unless it's got a smaller battery?

You charge a LR to 100% for road trips which is when range is important. No issues going from 100% right down to 5%. This will get you around 480kms. More if you are hypermiling.

Your HR dept or professional association will be able to tell you. There is no list.

Note though, that the corporate scheme is wrapping up. It ends on orders placed by Dec 31.
Corporate program is extended to 31/3/2022. Car must be delivered by this date to enjoy the benefits. Ask the SC to run a check for you when you visit.

I assume you're not getting much of a FIT for selling your power back to the grid. If your car is ever at home during the day, the best size of PV array is as big as your roof (and budget) can carry. Keep those kWh for your car rather than giving them away to power companies who charge you for the privilege.

Have taken the points on the solar panel, I'll need to get some people around for quotes etc. Understand its not a clear cut answer.
I found the following website a good source of information in organising my solar, panels go up on Tuesday: SolarQuotes | Get 3 Solar Quotes From Your Best Local Installers

Via the website I got them to organise three quotes for me, and ended up going with a 9.9kw system. My only learning from the whole experience is before you decide to pull the trigger is to get them to confirm that they have the stock for the install. Based on everything that's going on with supply chains I should have been more explicit about this but trusted the installer, and my install has been delayed by 8 weeks as a result.

I found the following website a good source of information in organising my solar, panels go up on Tuesday: SolarQuotes | Get 3 Solar Quotes From Your Best Local Installers

Via the website I got them to organise three quotes for me, and ended up going with a 9.9kw system. My only learning from the whole experience is before you decide to pull the trigger is to get them to confirm that they have the stock for the install. Based on everything that's going on with supply chains I should have been more explicit about this but trusted the installer, and my install has been delayed by 8 weeks as a result.
Cheers for that. I did see this site but have been looking at others for now. That's a really good tip to ensure stock supplies. Thanks