Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Classic (2012) Model S 85 to new (2016) Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a "classic" Model S - vin 001590 - which I love. I've been thinking about getting another Model S to have AWD and Autopilot. I made the plunge and my Red 90D was delivered today.

Observations from less than a day of ownership...
INTERIOR:
1. I miss the open center console. This new insert feels like a concession to ICE vehicles with exhaust and drive trains and I hate it.
2. The cup holders in the arm rest no longer have the spring loaded tabs to hold cups. Oh well. Also, no removable rubber bottom means harder to clean.
3. The visors are sturdier but still a disappointment.
4. Man is the frunk smaller with the D!
5. Next Gen seats; love. That's all.
6. Stalks and wands; make much more sense, unless you have been in the old style since 2012, then they are confusing as hell. I expect I'll have it sorted in a few days.
7. Winter Package = awesome! No more frozen washer fluid lines. Yay.
9. I'm not as much a fan of the alcantra headliner and accents as I thought I'd be. My 8 year old already smudged it...
10. Mats are much better adhered than my 2012.
11. Fit and finish is great. My 2012 was so early it was probably had QAed, but this one looks tighter and better done.
12. The luggage cover is sturdier; but the trunk well cover less so.
13. The glove box no longer has the little alcove for the J1772 adapter. Oh well.
EXTERIOR:
1. The daytime running lights look awesome!
2. I actually think I prefer the new nose. I never like the black plastic nose look and body color makes more sense to me.
3. Backup lights are smaller and the shape is weirder.
4. The TESLA in the chrome being so much larger is a negative. I like the more subtle version on my 2012.
5. Rims... I have to say I like the spoke 19"s better, but that is probably because I am used to them.
6. Turn signal thingy on the front quarter panel now is large with a camera for autopilot. Since AP is why I got the car I'm going to go with I like it, but I don't, not even a little. I prefer the flush version (but accept it isn't tenable for AP).
7. Pano Roof rack attachments. Make much more sense on the 2016. Smaller and harder to open, so less like to open spontaneously like they can on a 2012 (in a serious wind).
8. Door handles are easier to use. That little bit of play to open them is much more comfortable.
9. Rear plastic. The shiny black of the 2016 looks great on the MC red. However the matte gray on my Green is also great.
10. Door sills with Model S is pretty cool.

I love my two Tesla's the same, of course. That said, that red sure is gorgeous! However, my green with signature badging is utterly unique.