Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Air Vehicle stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only problem with these systems is they can not detect how many people are in the car so it is hard to use them for HOV violators. But in VA ZEV cars can use the HOV no matter how many people are in the car. But they are working on additions to the system that will be able to tell how many people are in the car. Just working out the bugs to making sure that the "people" are ALIVE - HOV dummies do exist you know :smile: and making sure it is actually a person as compared to say a pet. I think those use IR sensors somehow with body heat and shape and can read front and back seats as well.

No. The reader is said to read ALL license plates from every state and all countries - or at least 100s of countries. It actually reads the characters on the plate by OCR and runs then against DMV records. I will google and see if I can find a link for you. It can read from all angles. cops just drive through the parking lot or post it my an HOV lane and it reads them all as they fly by !!!

One time I was parked at LAX for a week. Came back to find a registration ticket. It had expired while I was gone and I just thought the cops just drive up and down the aisles looking for old stickers. For speed they might be able to read the plate and have it check a current registration database.

Besides our plates sporting alphanumeric characters, we also have special symbols that you can get the help support a cause. there is a hand, heart, star or plus sign.

I am suggesting that we in CA have a symbol for an Electric car like a lighting bolt, a iconic wall plug, even a childlike sun shape.

Who do I call?

I've never been a fan of stickers on a car at all, but these just look horrible. When Martin first received his Roadster there was some discusion about the stickers. Does anyone know if he has applied them? I certainly hope not.

A special plate would be much less offensive.

I keep trying to think of ways to implement those stickers.

As an Oaklander, I can use them but not every day. It would save me a half hour per week from my estimation of travel.

I thought to use when needed via magnetic temporary fix but carbon fiber does not allow.

So does permanant fix on top of removeable paint sealant tape make it worhtwile?

Any other options ?

Sticker pilferage attempts are already a problem with stickers that self destruct on removal. I suppose it you were diligent about removing them when not using the carpool lane it could actually prevent that problem.

Last edited:
I like it!
I keep thinking how hard it would be to bring yourself to stick any kind of carpool stickers on the beautiful roadster.

Not just psychologically; physically they don't work. You're supposed to put 3 stickers on; one on the back and the other two on the side, just behind the rear wheel. But on the Tesla, there is no "behind the rear wheel"!

I guess the good news is, I only have to put one of these stickers on.

By the way, they take a looooooong time to arrive. I got my car October 10, and the stickers showed up on January 30th! That's more than three and a half months!!!

My RangerEV stickers didn't take that long. Only about 6 weeks.

I am not sure one sticker will work. There is that space behind the wheel...
3272447075_0706a5f7c0_o.jpg