Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Air Vehicle stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HOV Stickers -- Where to Put 'em?

Well, the good news is that the DMV has finally processed my application and my pristine white "zero emissions" HOV stickers have arrived. Just in time, I might add, as the irresistible desire to merge into the carpool lane has been overwhelming.

And now the dilemma... do I really have to put these ugly stickers on the freshly painted body of my beautiful new electric blue roadster? I've seen one alternative set up and it's pretty darn cool. If I remember correctly, he put the stickers on clear plexiglass and then places them in the rear window behind the headrest when needed. It was also a nifty touch that he cut the plexi so that it slid under the passenger seat in the manual holder slot when not in use.

I'm purposely leaving the creator of the aforementioned setup nameless, but if you'd like to weigh in, take a bow, and tell us how that's working out for you it would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to know if having the sticker in the rear window is a neon flashing invitation to the CHP to pull us over.

I also avail to the experience of the community... any ideas or experiences with HOV stickers (presumably where you stick 'em) that you'd be able to share?

Many put a single sticker on the rear glass behind the drivers head (your choice, the big or small one).
The thing to remember is that the law does not require you to put them on your paint. It simply "suggests" where to put them on the envelope they come in.

I also carry the other two sticker, a copy of the paperwork that came with them with my car info and printouts of the actual DMV law that just says you have to display the stickers. I have not yet been pulled over to test it.

The plexi sandwich with HOV sticker and parking sticker can be put in while driving. You just reach back and wedge it between the right rear speaker and the back window. It's actually a "modern" picture frameless frame from a warehouse stationary store.

The plexi sandwich with HOV sticker and parking sticker can be put in while driving. You just reach back and wedge it between the right rear speaker and the back window. It's actually a "modern" picture frameless frame from a warehouse stationary store.

Ahhh... Now I know where to get it. Many thanks. Have you ever been pulled over or needed to use the printout of the law? Do you by chance have a link to that law so I can print it out as well?

Day One in the HOV Lane...

Many put a single sticker on the rear glass behind the drivers head (your choice, the big or small one). The thing to remember is that the law does not require you to put them on your paint. It simply "suggests" where to put them on the envelope they come in.

I'd like to report on my first day in the HOV lane with my stickers in the rear window. Unfortunately the time I expected to save on the way to work was sadly not realized. In fact it took me longer. WHY IS THAT? Because the time I should have been saving on the road was spent on the side of the freeway trying to discuss the matter with my friendly neighborhood CHP motorcycle officer.

Trying to convince him that the sticker placement was only a suggestion was met with the stone faced response that he had the suggestion I tell that to the folks at the station when I go there to show them I've put the stickers on the car and have them sign off on the ticket he issued.

I did try the "would you?" one liner and at least got him to crack a smile... at which point he said "at my salary that's not a problem I'm going to face real soon". So, it looks like now I have no choice. Either put the stickers on the car and have the ticket reversed or pay for an HOV violation. Ugggh.

I suppose the one saving grace is that he never did say a word about me going 80 mph...

Sorry to hear about this ... where were you when stopped ?
I know some owners had extra Starshield placed on the rear panel's bottom side edge right behind the tires to mount the two small stickers. See posts #5, #56, #57, #62 in this thread (the placement in other locations looks mega-ugly). Probably also some in "Random Roadster Sightings".

On the 118 heading East, just before the 405.

Wow. So sorry to hear this Andy. I drove 405 from mid OC to the 101 today in the HOV. Just bad luck I suppose.

Yes I would do the clear film star shield trick where you cut it out the same shape as the stickers (one behind each wheels is enough, don't do three) and remove them after sign-off to go back to the window or a card. That's just me. It might even pay the ticket. If you feel it's going to happen again because you are passing the same cop every day then do whatever feel right for you, your paint and your checkbook.

I wonder though if you had the printouts if it would have helped? Show him the statutes? If he was having a bad day then nothing would have helped. I had planned dig up the URLs this weekend. Did you show the paperwork that has your car info on it?

Again. The only time they give you where they are supposed to go is on the envelope they come in and it says suggested.

Wow. So sorry to hear this Andy. I drove 405 from mid OC to the 101 today in the HOV. Just bad luck I suppose.

Yes I would do the clear film star shield trick where you cut it out the same shape as the stickers (one behind each wheels is enough, don't do three) and remove them after sign-off to go back to the window or a card. That's just me. It might even pay the ticket. If you feel it's going to happen again because you are passing the same cop every day then do whatever feel right for you, your paint and your checkbook.

I wonder though if you had the printouts if it would have helped? Show him the statutes? If he was having a bad day then nothing would have helped. I had planned dig up the URLs this weekend. Did you show the paperwork that has your car info on it?

Again. The only time they give you where they are supposed to go is on the envelope they come in and it says suggested.

Yep, most likely just darn bad luck. I'll contemplate the Starshield trick. I doubt that cops always patrol the exact same territory, but I suppose there's always the possibility of running into the same guy.

I did not have printouts of the law --I was actually never able to find anything that stated sticker placement was not required, statutes or otherwise-- but I did have the card that looks like a registration doc which says I am authorized for HOV and "present to any peace officer upon request", which I did. That's what kept him from going down the path of thinking that I had fake stickers, I would imagine.

The one thing that may have changed recently is the sticker envelope you are referring to. Mine does not make any reference to the stickers not being required. It simply details where to put them. I have attached a scan of it. Is this different than what you have or am I just missing something? Unless of course the inference is that because it says "please" it is merely a suggestion, in which case I have been foolishly paying my State taxes every year... :)

Attachments

• HOV sticker envelope.jpg
    HOV sticker envelope.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,642
I also carry my other two stickers.
The one in the frame is only stuck with some double sided tape just in case.

You know the value of these just went up. Yellow ones are sunsetting next July and the whites are good to 2015.

One owner promtly stuck her sickers on and regretted doing it after seeing the window stickers. She wrote me this:
...I took the stickers off my car with Goof Gone gel and it was great! It's an orange colored gel stuff that doesn't smell. No problem with the paint. As I was preparing to send the stickers into DMV I stuck them on a sheet of plain white paper and found the VOID just disappeared. It was like magic. So I cut out the little one and taped it to my back window. No fuss , no muss. So pass it on if someone else wants to get rid of theirs! ....

This is all like the front licence plate thing. You want you car to be pure and you takes your chances on a nasty officer o the law.

I don't have my envelope but that looks familiar.

Here are the links:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21655_9.htm

(b) A person shall not drive a vehicle described in subdivision (a) of Section 5205.5 with a single occupant upon a high-occupancy vehicle lane pursuant to this section unless the decal, label, or other identifier issued pursuant to Section 5205.5 is properly displayed on the vehicle, and the vehicle registration described in Section 5205.5 is with the vehicle.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5205_5.htm

You know the value of these just went up. Yellow ones are sunsetting next July and the whites are good to 2015.

Wow... I'd heard about the extension to July 2011, but the extension to 2015 on the ZE stickers is fantastic news. I'm beginning to look at them as a bit of a badge of honor... or maybe I'm just looking for excuses to give in.

At any rate, that's great news. Thanks.

Had fun today. Pulled over by CHP in Berkeley I-80 E. "You know you were in the carpool lane. Yes. I see you have a two seater, but I don't see two people. Nope. This certainly isn't a Prias. Definately not. So I guess I need your license and registration. Ok, but this is an electric vehicle displaying 'Access OK' stickers. Here is the DMV certification of being a 'Clean Air Vehicle'. (He takes the paper and goes to look at the back of the car.) I guess you've got me. Tesla. I've not seen one of these before. These things happen sometimes, no worries. Sorry I pulled you over...." (pleasant conversation - Tesla time - follows). To be fair. Traffic was very thick and I don't think the officer could have seen the stickers before turning on his lights.

I'll be trying out my new HOV lane stickers this Friday afternoon on I-80 E. Thanks for educating one of the CHP officers. I decided to put my stickers ON the car - one less reason to be pulled over. But they are on StarShield. I'm not totally disrespectful of the car :).

Attachments

• DSC_0642.JPG
    DSC_0642.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 530
I'll be trying out my new HOV lane stickers this Friday afternoon on I-80 E. Thanks for educating one of the CHP officers. I decided to put my stickers ON the car - one less reason to be pulled over. But they are on StarShield. I'm not totally disrespectful of the car :).

What no vanity plate for "Icy" or whatever we named it (for you)?

I just noticed today that they finally put up the "Green Vehicle" signs on the highway 417 HOV lane in west Ottawa.

Right now the Tesla and the electric smart car are the only vehicles that qualify for the green plates in Ontario. As far as I'm aware you can't actually get an electric Smart yet, and there are only two Tesla Roadsters in town. That means I'm one of two people who can actually use it.

Unfortunately it's a route I drive about once a month, never at rush hour, and rarely by myself...