Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning Inside Windshield or Front Camera Lenses

Jan 30, 2018
Chicagoland
I was looking through some TeslaCam footage from the front camera, and found video recorded at night shows a lot of "flare" from other lights. I've attached a couple of examples.

This image was taken while stopped at a red light. The flare is most visible in the brake lights of the vehicle in front.
model3_front_camera_flare.jpg

This image was taken on the expressway, here the streetlights and headlights show the flare (well above the Chotchkie's 15 piece minimum)
model3_front_camera_flare_streetlights.jpg

I'm hopeful that the inside of the windshield in front of the camera needs to be clean, or perhaps the lenses themselves. I haven't found a good tutorial for removing the cover and cleaning. I did see some people with "foggy" front camera views, and the response was "contact service".

Any tips or advice?

Edit:
Not sure why the attachments aren't showing up, so here is a link to an album:
Model 3 Front Camera TeslaCam "Flare"

Thanks,
MF

Last edited:

VT_EE

Apr 22, 2017
Maryland
I would also like to now how to remove the camera cover on the windshield so I can clean. There is a noticeable film on the glass.

Jan 30, 2018
Chicagoland
Snagged an image from greentheonly's AP augmented reality view video. Looks like it's worse on that Model 3.
Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 1.15.48 PM.png

Still, I think it'll be beneficial to clean the glass under the cover. Really hard to search for that, since most posts/videos are about covering the selfie cam so Elon doesn't watch you. :)

Jan 30, 2018
Chicagoland
Looking at the Tesla parts catalog to get a preview of the disassembly, it looks more involved than I thought.
Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 2.49.06 PM.png

Not sure what they mean by "SINGLE SHOT" in the part description. It can only be used once?

Code:
M3, RVM, GLARE SHIELD, SINGLE SHOT      Part Number:     1530259-00-B

Thanks,
MF

Jan 30, 2018
Chicagoland
Based on the parts catalog, and this still image from the video, it looks like there are two Torx T10 screws to remove... and maybe 1-2 more on the tabs on the glare shield, hard to tell from the video (circled one in yellow).
model3_rearview_mirror_removal_glare_shield.png

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC