Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning Inside Windshield or Front Camera Lenses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking through some TeslaCam footage from the front camera, and found video recorded at night shows a lot of "flare" from other lights. I've attached a couple of examples.

This image was taken while stopped at a red light. The flare is most visible in the brake lights of the vehicle in front.
model3_front_camera_flare.jpg

This image was taken on the expressway, here the streetlights and headlights show the flare (well above the Chotchkie's 15 piece minimum)
model3_front_camera_flare_streetlights.jpg

I'm hopeful that the inside of the windshield in front of the camera needs to be clean, or perhaps the lenses themselves. I haven't found a good tutorial for removing the cover and cleaning. I did see some people with "foggy" front camera views, and the response was "contact service".

Any tips or advice?

Edit:
Not sure why the attachments aren't showing up, so here is a link to an album:
Model 3 Front Camera TeslaCam "Flare"

Thanks,
MF

Last edited:
Snagged an image from greentheonly's AP augmented reality view video. Looks like it's worse on that Model 3.
Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 1.15.48 PM.png

Still, I think it'll be beneficial to clean the glass under the cover. Really hard to search for that, since most posts/videos are about covering the selfie cam so Elon doesn't watch you. :)

Looking at the Tesla parts catalog to get a preview of the disassembly, it looks more involved than I thought.
Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 2.49.06 PM.png

Not sure what they mean by "SINGLE SHOT" in the part description. It can only be used once?

Code:
M3, RVM, GLARE SHIELD, SINGLE SHOT      Part Number:     1530259-00-B

Thanks,
MF

Just did this on my 3. Remove all the plastic as shown in the video, then there are two torx bolts that hold the camera cover in place.The plastic cover will drop and you will have access to the glass and cameras. No need to remove the center weight or drop the cameras down. (pic is from a model S)

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 2.55.56 PM.png

I noticed the same flare issue on nighttime footage and decided to give this a shot today. You could definitely see the haze on my windshield in the camera section. That said at least as far as concerns daytime video quality I notice zero difference pre and post cleaning. I'll know better tonight after I try it out. It's not many pieces to remove, but it took me an hour to do. I'm not sure I'd do it again unless it makes a huge difference tonight.

The piece around the stem of the mirror was a real pain to get out. The seam is far too thin for a standard automotive trim removal tool. I used a thin flexible sheet of plastic I had. If you try to hurry this and use a metal tool you've got a good chance of scratching up the plastic or worse slipping and hitting the windshield.

The second issue was the metal trim clips remained in the cover piece instead of on the male pieces attached to the camera and mirror assembly. Since I didn't want to disconnect the Cabin Camera I had to fiddle around with pulling the clips out of the cover while it was hanging from the camera wire.

Between these two issues I burned a good 30 minutes.

The last issue is the rearview mirror. As I expected it's firmly attached. You have to twist it counterclockwise with considerable force. It's hard to get a good grip to do it and you definitely feel like something is going to break in the process.

On the plus side it definitely looks much better. I had no idea that the glare shield was "flocked". Now you can see the flocking through the windshield.

Reactions: Ecoli
I noticed the same flare issue on nighttime footage and decided to give this a shot today. You could definitely see the haze on my windshield in the camera section. That said at least as far as concerns daytime video quality I notice zero difference pre and post cleaning. I'll know better tonight after I try it out. It's not many pieces to remove, but it took me an hour to do. I'm not sure I'd do it again unless it makes a huge difference tonight.

The piece around the stem of the mirror was a real pain to get out. The seam is far too thin for a standard automotive trim removal tool. I used a thin flexible sheet of plastic I had. If you try to hurry this and use a metal tool you've got a good chance of scratching up the plastic or worse slipping and hitting the windshield.

The second issue was the metal trim clips remained in the cover piece instead of on the male pieces attached to the camera and mirror assembly. Since I didn't want to disconnect the Cabin Camera I had to fiddle around with pulling the clips out of the cover while it was hanging from the camera wire.

Between these two issues I burned a good 30 minutes.

The last issue is the rearview mirror. As I expected it's firmly attached. You have to twist it counterclockwise with considerable force. It's hard to get a good grip to do it and you definitely feel like something is going to break in the process.

On the plus side it definitely looks much better. I had no idea that the glare shield was "flocked". Now you can see the flocking through the windshield.
Got any before and after pics?

Was finally able to drive it tonight.

The flares remain roughly the same. However the clarity of the picture at night is definitely better. On the margin I now feel like my hour’s worth of time was worth it. However that is just about offset, by the risk of damage to plastic and fasteners taking it apart.

Unless you have a need for the cleanest dashcam footage I wouldn’t bother.

No @J4RBOT, I even had my windshield replaced due to an unrelated crack and there's no difference in the image quality.
That's funny because I got my windshield replaced because of a rock crack and that's when I really started to notice it at night when driving / dash cam and just didn't know if I didn't notice it before or now paying extra attention. When it's parked it looks fine but when driving is when the light flares etc go crazy.