Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning the Glass from the Factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I received my Model 3 about 2 weeks ago and like the Model S, I got in 2014, the windshield wipers chatter because the glass from the factory is dirty as is the entire roof glass. I have cleaned some of the windshield with a glass polish and that has fixed the chatter but it is not perfect and the roof needs cleaning badly; what is everyone finding works the best??

Thanks

I have been using Rain-X 2-in-1 Glass Cleaner and Rain Repellant exclusively on all glass surfaces of our Model 3 and our Model S.
I frequently park in a lot with huge trees nearby that seem to rain down a fine mist of sap. Using this product habitualy on all glass surfaces both prevents it from aggressively adhering and gently removes deposits. Keeps my windshield smooth and keeps the wipers gliding quietly across the glass.
I had tried it in the past on glass I had treated with Rain-X Coating and I was not pleased with the combination. (Smeary)
But the results I get using the glass cleaner alone are great.
One thing I would caution. On my Model S, it makes the All Glass Roof so slick that a pape cup of coffee will not stay put. Slides right off.
Rain-X 5071268 2-in-1 Glass Cleaner and Rain Repellant - 23 oz., 2- Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JH0KEDW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_wTZCBbGF42P79
CE2C4653-C9D5-41DB-ADBA-28281330418C.jpeg

I have a minor issue that really tweeks my OCD. My rear piece of glass has a two large fingerprints on the inside by the brake light. I'm actually considering trying to take the light assembly apart and see if I can get at the glass. Everytime I wash the car I see those two finger prints and there is nothing I can do to wipe them off.

I did rain X the windshield, roof and rear glass. I don't know how people drive cars without it.

I had hard water spots all over my SUV moonroof years ago. Just had a baby at the time so those spots stuck on for weeks before I could tackle them. I went to a nearby auto store and picked up No Touch Auto Glass Stripper. With some elbow grease I got every water spot off. Been using the product ever since.

Then I picked up my Model 3 last week and noticed some hard grime on the glass roof. Got my Auto Glass Stripper out of the cabinet and went to work. Used a microfiber towel and took off the grime in a matter of minutes. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/No-Touch-Auto-Glass-Stripper/dp/B000COBXFU

Good luck!

I hate to tell you, but it's not really sap...

Honeydew (secretion) - Wikipedia
Interesting, I wonder if this is actually sap though since it has a distinctly strong pine odor and sometimes lands in a really large thick globs as well.
Although there is a variety of trees at the golf course parking lot, I believe it’s coming from the evergreens.
There’s a few images of where I typically park. The Tesla owner’s tend to “flock together”

F33EEDE6-EF0F-48E9-B81C-BB628105D2FD.jpeg

5F598D99-67FC-411F-A814-DE81E8BB5080.jpeg