Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clear glue for headlight crack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JRP3

Hyperactive Member
Aug 20, 2007
Central New York
Something hit my headlight and there are hairline cracks near the top and bottom. I want some thin clear glue for them, I tried some 3M PR40 on the bottom but it turned cloudy when it dried, it's an Ethyl Cyanoacrylate glue. Any suggestions?

CA will stick really well to the polycarbonate lens but will look terrible as you discovered. Gorilla is OK for that material but messy and won't really penetrate cracks.

I suggest windshield rock chip repair resin. It'll wick in nicely and will end up perfectly clear, inside the crack anyway. You can wick it in, then wipe it completely clean from the outside with isopropyl before starting the UV cure. It might not be strong enough to last very long but it'll look good while it lasts.

• Helpful
Reactions: JRP3
After using fillers/glue products on acrylic there is a need for a polishing in order to restore the original shine.
There are various procedures available for that, but there is no way you could glue acrylic material and then obtain a shiny, perfectly transparent surface.

Oh, my bad ...
In this case ... new headlights lens are needed I guess (waaaayyy cheaper than the full headligts units):

An example from ebay ...