TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Click sound after coast or braking

Discussion in 'Model S' started by OG_Green_S, Sep 2, 2018.

1. OG_Green_S

OG_Green_S Member

First post on the Forum with my OG green 2013 Model S, so forgive me if there's another post somewhere that discusses this. First off the car performs and drives great but one little thing that bugs is a clicking sound after I coast or use the brakes. Click is most audible when my driver window is down. Sounds like it's coming from the left rear brake or traction control. Is this an issue? I can learn to live with it if it's not something about to fail. #electriclove

2. Nick B

Nick B Member

Hard to say, could be the brakes... considering we don't use them much. Have you had them cleaned lately? Tesla recommended that I have them clean once a year (cost is about 100$). Otherwise, it could also simply be certain components that need lubrification.

3. bhawkins4194

bhawkins4194 Member

Is it a continuous click? Or a single click sound? I had this same issue while driving on mine it was a single click (unless I hit a rough patch of road) and it turned out that the spring retention clip that keeps the brake pad from hitting the rotor had broke. Mine was done under warranty but it was a three dollar part, I think you can also get them at any auto parts store, since these come with all new brake pads. I have now realized a sign of something with the brake pad was off when I was having to scrub black brake dust off my wheels every week.

4. OG_Green_S

OG_Green_S Member

Thanks for the suggestion, it's just one click. I'll look for more dust, but nothing appearant so far. I am rarely needing the brakes so it makes sense that I've only noticed it when reverseing then drive and also at stop signs where ive held onto the brake. Thanks!