Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking sound under left side of dash with air conditioning on.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear a sporadic clicking sound coming from the left side of my dash with the AC on. Here's a video. In the beginning you hear some quiet clicks but 8 seconds in you hear the sporadic louder click that repeats every 5-10s or so. After the car is driven for a bit I don't hear it much.

Anyone else have this or know what it is? I'll take it into the SC at some point but wondering if anyone's seen this before.

I hear a sporadic clicking sound coming from the left side of my dash with the AC on. Here's a video. In the beginning you hear some quiet clicks but 8 seconds in you hear the sporadic louder click that repeats every 5-10s or so. After the car is driven for a bit I don't hear it much.

Anyone else have this or know what it is? I'll take it into the SC at some point but wondering if anyone's seen this before.

Same noise with my car. Took it to the service center. They told me it was “normal”. Not happy about it.

Happens mostly when the car is “heat soaked” (sitting out in sun) and then you turn on your AC.

Same noise with my car. Took it to the service center. They told me it was “normal”. Not happy about it.

Happens mostly when the car is “heat soaked” (sitting out in sun) and then you turn on your AC.

So it was exactly the same noise/interval on driver side dash?

Yea, I do think it happens after sitting in sun, will test it out some more.

Did they tell you what's causing the sound at least?

I have the same clicking sound on the left side dash when the AC turns on. Now that its getting a bit warmer I can here it more consistently. I got my car in November so it has been cold up until now. Seems to definitely be related to the warmer weather somehow. The clicking sound goes away after about 5 -10 minutes.

I hear it off and on. It's almost certainly thermal expansion/contraction causing a dash panel or an HVAC duct or an HVAC connector or something like that to rub slightly against another component as they change temperature. I don't worry about it, and it goes away after the car has warmed up or cooled down (depending on whether it's AC or heat that is on).

Exactly same issue on my LR AWD, took delivery last November. Goes away 5-10 mins. I remember reading somewhere that the issue was documented in the service bulletin and someone was able to get it fixed. I’ll probably mention this next time I go in service. It’s not “normal”, my friends LR RWD doesn’t have the issue.

I have it...it is expansion of materials. When temp is equal..no clicking. When hot out an ac first comes on...clicks away until for a few minutes then goes away. Guess we will have to live with it

I experience this as well. Intermittently. I can reproduce when I change which vents the heat comes out of. Seems like expansion/contraction because I can press on the dashboard in 2021 M3 LR and reproduce noise. Seems like dashboard is heating up and plastic is expanding.

Mine does it. It's the removeable dash pad. In my case, it's the white panel because I have the white interior. It's worse in winter when first warming up the car.

You can grab the dash panel and rock it up and down and it will work the clicking noises out until the next drive.

I tried stopping the clicking by adding foam noise reduction tape underneath the panel, and even put a little silicone lube on the clips, but it didn't help at all. I might try removing some of the clips on the back of the panel next as they don't all need to be there to hold that panel, and that may relieve the tension causing the clicking.

Check youtube videos on replacing or recovering the dash pad to see what I am talking about and how to remove the panel.