Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, Germany has massive amounts of industrial electricity needs, nearly no proper sun and they've still inadvertently bankrupted their top three utilities by supporting solar back when it wasn't economically viable on it's own.
That's a good article from a respected publication. The analogy of 1980's phone companies is a very accurate one. They absolutely had to re-tool their business models to function in the digital age.

Unfortunately, I don't think many people have considered how much of our job base/economy is built around non-renewable energy. Big changes are coming and frankly, I don't think most companies are ready or willing to adapt. Will that result in huge restructuring around the world? Likely. Old companies will fail because their business models no longer work, and new, different ones will riser from the ashes.

It will be fascinating to watch. If we don't wipe out our species in the next few decades, the changes will be extremely interesting to live through - perhaps the most interesting, and fastest changing in all of human history. This will ultimately trigger changes across all sectors of our economy. It has the potential to start to level the playing field for the have-not countries (typically where the sun shines the brightest!) and modify our interest in consumerism. Star Trek utopia is still a long way away, but it doesn't seem quite as implausible anymore.

It will be fascinating to watch. If we don't wipe out our species in the next few decades, the changes will be extremely interesting to live through - perhaps the most interesting, and fastest changing in all of human history. This will ultimately trigger changes across all sectors of our economy. It has the potential to start to level the playing field for the have-not countries (typically where the sun shines the brightest!) and modify our interest in consumerism. Star Trek utopia is still a long way away, but it doesn't seem quite as implausible anymore.
All we need to do is stay calm for 2 years and make sure these petro-interests aren't allowed to start a major war. Two years and the momentum will be so huge that moneied interests will just transition to financing energy rather than hoarding it.

A major war is their only way out, but I don't see the US public being fooled so easily again. The Information Age is hitting it's stride, doesn't always feel like it but we aren't as easily manipulated these days.

All we need to do is stay calm for 2 years and make sure these petro-interests aren't allowed to start a major war. Two years and the momentum will be so huge that moneied interests will just transition to financing energy rather than hoarding it.

A major war is their only way out, but I don't see the US public being fooled so easily again. The Information Age is hitting it's stride, doesn't always feel like it but we aren't as easily manipulated these days.
I think the US election will decide whether 'stay calm' is a possibility or not. From where I'm watching, it's not so much about left or right wing politics, but whether the US will potentially lead on Climate Change or stay in the Dark Ages (for another 4 years). Also, don't underestimate the potential for another unwanted war, depending on which personality gets elected.

From this side of the border, it's all playing out like an over-the-top reality TV show. Water cooler talk up here is generally prefaced by "WTF are they thinking??"

This election is all but over.....85% Hillary, 13% Bernie, 2% Rubio. Not advocating for anyone, just stating obvious odds. So long as that 2% longshot doesn't hit, we're fine for avoiding WWIII and renewables.
Those "odds" you state are highly speculative. I do not understand how electing a Democrat means we will "avoid...renewables".
The two Democratic contenders for the nomination clearly understand the human contribution to climate change. None of the Republican contenders have any grasp of climate science.
It is going to be an interesting year...

From this side of the border, it's all playing out like an over-the-top reality TV show. Water cooler talk up here is generally prefaced by "WTF are they thinking??"

Many of us are thinking the same thing on this side of the border. I know some otherwise intelligent people who seem to think a walking cartoon character might actually be a good choice to lead the country. The only hope is some rationality might take hold when it's time to pull the lever...

Many of us are thinking the same thing on this side of the border. I know some otherwise intelligent people who seem to think a walking cartoon character might actually be a good choice to lead the country. The only hope is some rationality might take hold when it's time to pull the lever...
What I find interesting (and is politically agnostic) is the way polling is done now. I heard the other day that auto-dialling cell phones is not allowed - they must be done manually. However, autodialling of landlines is acceptable. So that tends to skew the demographics. Who has the manpower to manually dial? Nobody, really, so that leaves landlines. Who has a landline these days? Older folks. And odds are, they'll say the first name they think of... which is generally the name making the most waves on the radio and TV. So are the poll results useful? I'd say, probably not. Certainly Iowa was a bit surprising for both sides.

Who has a landline these days? Older folks. And odds are, they'll say the first name they think of... which is generally the name making the most waves on the radio and TV.

Not political, but definitely full fledged age discrimination..

I agree that there's selection bias in these polls, especially now that landlines are going out of favor. That's a problem they'll have to sort out, if they care. I'm personally glad because as polls lose their reliability, they will have less influence on voters. There's some good literature on the fact that polling results skew future voting in the same way that very good reviews for a product will influence future product reviews. It's a form of social norming. I don't like the idea of the "wisdom of the crowd" influencing my politics. I've met the crowd. They're not wise.

Not if it's accurate. Is there any question that younger people don't bother with land lines and older people still have theirs? Certainly my anecdotal experience backs that up. I was unusual by being one of the first people in my circles to completely give up a land line many years ago.

I think that portion is probably mostly correct. The part I took issue with was:

Older folks. And odds are, they'll say the first name they think of... which is generally the name making the most waves on the radio and TV.

That sounded like an assertion that old people aren't as well informed as younger voters. I don't believe that claim has merit.

I think that portion is probably mostly correct. The part I took issue with was:

That sounded like an assertion that old people aren't as well informed as younger voters. I don't believe that claim has merit.
Maybe a context problem. My meaning was that many will just offer up a name without necessarily meaning anything other than 'I gave you an answer now leave me alone'. Not to mention that it's early in the race and many people haven't really made up their mind... and the guy getting the most attention in the news is the one who's name comes to mind the fastest.

My father would have been too polite to hang up (I'd happily do so, even though I don't fit the category of 'young' any longer) and would either decline to answer or - if he was in a sporting mood - just give them the dumbest answer possible simply to mess with their results.

It's not so much about being informed as it is about their feelings on polls. Although it would be interesting to see the support for each candidate broken into age groups.

Edit: Stumbled upon this, which is perhaps somewhat relevant, and if not, at least somewhat interesting!
The Establishment’s Last Gasp — Medium

Last edited:
Melting Greenland ice changing ocean circulation, Earth's gravitational field

The melting of the Greenland ice sheet due to climate change is having an impact on ocean circulation and rising sea levels, according to new studies from university researchers across North America.

"It was well known that Greenland's ice was melting, it was well known that that melting was accelerating, and it was well known that extra melting was changing the salinity of the North Atlantic Ocean," said Tim Dixon, a Canadian professor in the department of geophysics at the University of South Florida, who recently co-authored a study published in Nature Communications.

Dixon said that when ice melts, it deposits fresh water into the ocean that dilutes the salt in the North Atlantic.

"What was not known is what effect if any that would have on ocean circulation," he said.

Previous studies had suggested that the impact of the melting Greenland ice on North Atlantic circulation would be minimal, at least for the next 50 years, Dixon said, because the amount of fresh water going into the North Atlantic was thought to be too small to disrupt the ocean circulation.

"The accelerated melting of Greenland is adding so much fresh water to the North Atlantic that it's starting to affect the basic ocean structure in the Labrador Sea."

But it's not just the Labrador sea that is affected.

"We think those changes are big enough that they're starting to affect the overall global circulation pattern of the ocean," Dixon said

<snip>
Full article at:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...ulation-earth-s-gravitational-field-1.3437904

This is what I always claimed. Because of the fresh water going into the Oceans due to the melting of ice the salt concentration is lowering and the Current of the Channel is consequently diminuishing. When the Current of the Channel will get stopped the North side of the Earth will get frozen. This event could happen in one century meaning that the Period of the Ice Age will decrease from 100000 years to 15000 years since the last Ice Age happened 15000 years ago.
Don't know why some TMCers in this thread denied the chance of a new Ice Age happening in a short period. (One century is nothing when compared to the life of the Earth).