Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes I think of just giving up.

I stopped flying and do everything I can to give my grand children at least a fighting chance to survive. however, I constantly see family members flying anywhere and everywhere like there is no tomorrow.

Yes, just as do the many arrogrant liberal hypocrites like algore, DiCaprio, the Obamas, Prince Harry, etc. They talk a good game about climate change but consider us to be the problem, not them. In other words, shut up and do as I say, not as I do. ;)

Yes, just as do the many arrogrant liberal hypocrites like algore, DiCaprio, the Obamas, Prince Harry, etc. They talk a good game about climate change but consider us to be the problem, not them. In other words, shut up and do as I say, not as I do. ;)

They need to travel >5000 miles in a day. What mode of transportation would you suggest they take? Sadly not everyone can spend weeks in a sailboat. Even a 17 y/o girl understands that... why can't you?

@wjax
Do you have a photovoltaic array on your residence that makes at least 100% of your use, preferably 150+%
Do you drive an electric vehicle or partially electric
Do you support Tesla by at least purchasing the stock as an investor not a swing trader or a (shudder) short
Do you have 100% LED lighting
Have you started eating less meat and more fruits vegetables and such
WHAT are you doing to at least mitigate your impact upon the planet
Have you procreated.
It really could be you are part of the problem
How honest are you?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...p-top-table-low_trees833pm:homepage/story-ans

Driven by the recognition that trees suck Earth-warming carbon out of the atmosphere far more efficiently than any machine, the effort has attracted millions of dollars in support — and inspired hope that trees could become an even more potent weapon in the battle against climate change.

Trees are the most efficient carbon-capture machines on the planet. Through photosynthesis, they absorb carbon dioxide, the greenhouse gas that traps heat in the environment, and turn it into energy. That energy creates new leaves, longer stems and more mass — locking away carbon.

That makes healthy forests carbon sinks. American vegetation, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, absorbed enough carbon dioxide to offset 11 percent of the nation’s greenhouse gas emissions in 2017.

Because it takes decades for new forests to mature, the most efficient way to use trees to capture carbon is to protect them from being cut down in the first place, environmentalists say.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dave EV
Opinion | Australia Shows Us the Road to Hell

The political reaction is scarier than the fires.

But the world isn’t rational. In fact, Australia’s anti-environmentalist government seems utterly unmoved as the nightmares of environmentalists become reality. And the anti-environmentalist media, the Murdoch empire in particular, has gone all-out on disinformation, trying to place the blame on arsonists and “greenies” who won’t let fire services get rid of enough trees.
Just so you know;
1. Climate change has not started any of the bushfires in australia. That is a cold hard fact.
2. Arsonists have started 85% of the bushfires in Australia. Another cold hard fact.
3. These bushfires are not the biggest or worst in australia’s modern history. In 1974 there was a fire 10 times the size. In 1983 5 times more people died from bushfires, and in 1984 approx 4 times more property was destroyed. Once again cold hard facts.
4. It was unseasonally hot. Thats likely from climate change. This month that same temperature isnt unseasonal, so the fires, exacerbated by drought, were as history has shown, innevitable. Australia has a lot of drought. The current one isnt even close to the worst on record. Another fact.

2019 was Australia's hottest and driest year on record

Weird... what are the odds that their hottest and driest year would coincide with their worst fire season in recored history.

Australia Is Committing Climate Suicide
It isn’t australia’s worst fire season on record. Thats a myth being propogated by those using the fires for their climate emergency propaganda. A simple google search of 1974 and 1983 and 1984 bushfires in australia make the current fires seem somewhat tame.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m a huge advocate for looking after our planet. My cars are tesla’s. My house generates way more power than it consumes. I design office buildings that lead the way for environmental gains, but am completely over the made up rubbish that journalists feel compelled to make over australia’s now mostly extinguished ‘unextinguishable fires’. They are not the worst ever. There is no measure that shows them as the worst ever. Not even close. Such misuses of the truth only supports deniers.

Last edited:
@Not Sure maybe you should organize a raid to arrest the arsonist eucalyptus trees...
According to the locals around Sydney (where I Am since dec.19), it is the eucalyptuses that ignite the fires, and it is a natural, regular phenomenon. Eucalyptus Fire Hazards: Are Eucalyptus Trees Flammable

The current trouble is that the fires are spreading more and harder to control than usual due to drier and hotter conditions.
As an australian raised in the bush amongst eucalyptus trees (we call them gum trees), I can confirm that you have been completely misled by anyone that tells you a native australian tree spontaneously combusts. Complete and utter rubbish.
They do burn very well once lit though. Great for campfires.

First fact; sea levels raise across the entire planet, not just in indonesia.
2nd fact; I live on the coast. There has been no noticable sea level increase, certainly not 3 metres as suggested by this report.
3rd fact; its easy to blame climate change rather than face the real reason the island dissappeared.
What is the "real" reason the islands disappeared?
Is it a commie plot?

• Funny
Reactions: eevee-fan
What is the "real" reason the islands disappeared?
Is it a commie plot?
Erosion caused by human activities.
The harsh fact is that sea levels across the planet have not increased 3m. The other harsh fact is that water spreads equally over any contained surface, which in this case is the entire planet. Basic physics. The two points go together. You cannot have one without the other. You cannot use physics selectively.
Indeed is these kind’s of scientifically impossible stories that actually help the cause of deniers.

First fact; sea levels raise across the entire planet, not just in indonesia.
2nd fact; I live on the coast. There has been no noticable sea level increase, certainly not 3 metres as suggested by this report.
3rd fact; its easy to blame climate change rather than face the real reason the island dissappeared.
The article does not state that sea level has risen 3m.
While your bathtub may have a uniform water level, sea level varies quite a bit across the planet. Physics.

Reactions: dhrivnak
The harsh fact is that sea levels across the planet have not increased 3m. The other harsh fact is that water spreads equally over any contained surface, which in this case is the entire planet. Basic physics. The two points go together. You cannot have one without the other. You cannot use physics selectively.
Indeed is these kind’s of scientifically impossible stories that actually help the cause of deniers.
"Erosion caused by human activities" i.e climate change
Your bathtub is not the same as the ocean.
(You might want to get a spell checker.)

@paulp
Then I would invite you to consider the Chesapeake Bay, formed about 30megayears ago by a meteor coming in on a southern trajectory, smacking down near the headwaters of the James, York, a few others and the Susquehanna rivers, depressing the land, a picture of the bay shows the point of impact, all the rivers point at it, and land south of impact point is unable to get wells due to shattering of bedrock.
A lot of the islands over the last 300+ years have sunk back below the waves due to various reasons, complete with houses, rising waters and such.
We also have regular tides on the east coast of the Americas, the naval bases at Norfolk and Newport News regularly get flooding in the area due to higher tides. There are whole communities a bit north considering relocating to higher ground, though there is the problem of where since the available land is already owned by others.

It takes time for water to move from here to there, also basic physics. I also live on the coast at 8ft mean sea level, have been through hurricanes, there are storm surge marks on an adjacent island about 13 feet up, and I expect where I live to be unlivable, underwater, but after I’m dead of old age, I’m 71

Reactions: eevee-fan
@wjax
Do you have a photovoltaic array on your residence that makes at least 100% of your use, preferably 150+%
Do you drive an electric vehicle or partially electric
Do you support Tesla by at least purchasing the stock as an investor not a swing trader or a (shudder) short
Do you have 100% LED lighting
Have you started eating less meat and more fruits vegetables and such
WHAT are you doing to at least mitigate your impact upon the planet
Have you procreated.
It really could be you are part of the problem
How honest are you?

You are amazing. Have you applied for deity yet?

As a conservative (I'm out of college and don't live at home or work in a cubicle or live in an overcrowded ghetto):
I produce 35 MWh per year average.
We operate several EVs.
I do not gamble, nor am I a day trader. If it doesn't pay a dividend, it's tulip bulbs. It's not my job to make day traders rich.
I have roughly $40,000 in energy reducing technology including all LED lighting, heatpumps, timed appliances,
We eat fish and vegetables. Everyone in my family are homo sapiens.
We help manufacturers develop green technologies.
We have 3 highly educated offspring, all more liberal than you. Communist you might say, who wish the State would take your house and nationalize your assets. Everybody should make minimum wage of about $25/hr.
Anyone who really believes humans are a problem PM me your address and I will ship you a suicide kit. If you don't use it, you are not honest.

Now, do you ride a bicycle to work?
Do you live in a house?
Are you further away than 10 miles from work?

By simply moving as close as possible to work, living in an apartment, and walking or bicycling to work, you will do more for the environment than owning EVs will ever do. If it means a lower paying job, then take it.

If you are in search of perfect humans, require perfection of yourself. Not 'better than', perfection, because there will always be a 'better than'. Tribal people in New Guinea are greener than I.
Let the "holier than thou" wars begin.

• Funny
Reactions: JRP3