Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@paulp
Then I would invite you to consider the Chesapeake Bay, formed about 30megayears ago by a meteor coming in on a southern trajectory, smacking down near the headwaters of the James, York, a few others and the Susquehanna rivers, depressing the land, a picture of the bay shows the point of impact, all the rivers point at it, and land south of impact point is unable to get wells due to shattering of bedrock.
A lot of the islands over the last 300+ years have sunk back below the waves due to various reasons, complete with houses, rising waters and such.
We also have regular tides on the east coast of the Americas, the naval bases at Norfolk and Newport News regularly get flooding in the area due to higher tides. There are whole communities a bit north considering relocating to higher ground, though there is the problem of where since the available land is already owned by others.

It takes time for water to move from here to there, also basic physics. I also live on the coast at 8ft mean sea level, have been through hurricanes, there are storm surge marks on an adjacent island about 13 feet up, and I expect where I live to be unlivable, underwater, but after I’m dead of old age, I’m 71
I did mention water equalises within a contained area. Your crater is a contained area.
Too many people confuse high water marks from storm surges during high tides with sea level increases. Storm surge hieghts are impacted by localised man made infrastructure, as well as natures perverse ability to cause a storm peak to happen at the highest tide of the year. Sea level increase are caused by adding more water to the ocean, generally in the form of melting ice. The melting ice is generally from polar regions.

What is the "real" reason the islands disappeared?
Is it a commie plot?

The reason is the Islands in Indonesia are sinking at a rate of 2 inches per year caused by movement of the tectonic plates. Here is the actual information. Why Sumatra

So the 1.5 to 2 mm per year of sea level rise is nothing compared to 50 mm per year of the islands sinking. They are actually talking about moving the capital of Indonesia from Jakarta because the island of Java is sinking 2 inches per year.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I did mention water equalises within a contained area. Your crater is a contained area.
Too many people confuse high water marks from storm surges during high tides with sea level increases. Storm surge hieghts are impacted by localised man made infrastructure, as well as natures perverse ability to cause a storm peak to happen at the highest tide of the year. Sea level increase are caused by adding more water to the ocean, generally in the form of melting ice. The melting ice is generally from polar regions.
@paulp
The Chesapeake bay is around 200 miles long, and about 800 miles north
The high water marks I mentioned are on Sanibel, in the Caribbean Sea at the eastern end, a bit closer

Erosion caused by human activities.
The harsh fact is that sea levels across the planet have not increased 3m. The other harsh fact is that water spreads equally over any contained surface, which in this case is the entire planet. Basic physics. The two points go together. You cannot have one without the other. You cannot use physics selectively.
Indeed is these kind’s of scientifically impossible stories that actually help the cause of deniers.

I guess your assertions makes total sense as the article talks about these islands being uninhabited.

Let us know when you are forced to abandon your house near the coast. Good luck.

Oh, I live at 2000 ft, so I guess let me know when you need to evacuate and I can sell you one of my houses at a huge profit. haha

I read them. They don't say sea level rose 3m.
He seems to think that this:

Betet Island and Gundul Island are now 1 meter (3 feet) and 3 meters (10 feet) below sea level, respectively. Betet is part of Berbak-Sembilang National Park. Both islands are uninhabited by people.
Is equal to "sea level has risen 3 meters".

I think it's just a reading comprehension thing.

Remember when ‘the science’ said eggs are bad for you? When the consensus was that stomach ulcers are caused by stress? Remember when ‘the science’ told you to eat trans fatty acid filled margarine, because butter is bad for you?
@Swampgator
Remember the scientific method?
(ever done scientific research?)
Can other parties replicate your results using your methods
Can new data be found that confirms or refutes your results or suggests changes

Remember when ‘the science’ said eggs are bad for you? When the consensus was that stomach ulcers are caused by stress? Remember when ‘the science’ told you to eat trans fatty acid filled margarine, because butter is bad for you?
Hooray! The most intellectually dishonest argument that can be made. Make a list of the correct scientific achievements through history and line them up side by side. Then let’s talk about whether wild guesses are more accurate than science.

Cherry picking a few bad examples merely emphasizes how weak your argument is, and points out an inability to defend your position on the science.