Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the summary for the Bill Nye/Marsha Blackburn appearance on NBC News that I spoke about earlier:

Bill Nye 'The Science Guy' Debated A GOP Congresswoman On Climate Change, And It Was Surreal - Yahoo Finance

At the end of that article:
"Meet the Press" has been roundly mocked and criticized for the way it chose to portray the debate over climate change on Sunday.

Both articles sum up my thoughts - while I respect Bill Nye, people on the fence or in denial are simply not going to take him seriously - never mind that calling this a "debate" only continues to give deniers and the public in large the false impression that global warming is in fact up for debate. The only debate that remains is what to do about it and how to do it.

It will not be that simple. Remember that also if emissions will decrease in 2050 [Source?] CO2 concentration in the atmosphere will be 450 ppm [Source?] in the best case [Source?] (today such a CO2 concentration is 400 ppm). Such a concentration couldn't be that bad for average temperature of the Earth [Source?] but would affect very negatively the ocean acidification issue.

So IMO apart from the reduction of emissions also a way to decrease the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere has to be developed and implemented.
We don’t have any time left! We will have to begin with what we have now. If more technology comes along, then frickin fabulous!

Have you watched Gasland part II?

At around the 1:25:40 mark in that movie the filmmaker Josh Fox interviews Mark Jacobson who when the movie was made was Director of the Atmosphere/Energy Program at Stanford University. He, along with several others, had at that time conducted a study that concludes that the US has more than enough hydro, solar and wind with the technology that was available 2 years ago!

And if it’s enough for the US, then it’s enough for the rest of us!

And there is also high efficiency cold weather heat pumps & geothermal systems and efficiency measures like better isolation & better isolated windows and downsizing if needed.

So again:

We don’t have any time left! We will have to begin with what we have now. If more technology comes along, then frickin fabulous!

- - - Updated - - -

And,

There is also: Planting as many trees as possible, on as much land as possible, all over this planet. And then don’t cut them down.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree that we should invest all our money in the so called "green economy". But remember this: it's not enough [Source?]. Strong efforts in Research and Development are needed to decrease CO2 concentration in the atmosphere. [Source?]

See above.

@SwedishAdvocate

See my post #634 in this thread for the source. According to the studies two scenarios of CO2 concentration are possible in 2050.
Yeah. I thought that was the one. And I have addressed that report one time previously in another thread here (Post #4):

"Do the Math: The Movie" | TMC

…so I’m just going to cross post that writing here since that was ~two and a half months ago:

I don’t really get why out of everything written about Global Warming you pick this obviously delimited Australian review.

Here are some of the reactions to that review according to Wikipedia:

[My underline and bold]

It was /…/ heavily criticised by environmental organisations, including Friends of the Earth[10] and Rising Tide.[11] The Australian Conservation Foundation praised the report for advocating a 450 ppm target, but was critical of Professor Garnaut’s 550ppm second best option and described the 2020 target of 10 per cent as weak.[12]

Dr Clive Hamilton was heavily critical of the report, arguing that it reduced global expectations of what should be aimed for, naively exposed Australia's negotiating tactics to the international diplomatic sphere, alienates both the Australian public and the international community, misjudges the time frames necessary to avoid dangerous climate change, gives Australia numerous special deals, and would be rejected by the international community.[13]

Responses from political parties were mixed. Australian Greens leader Bob Brown suggested that the report demonstrated that reducing greenhouse gas emissions would not come at the expense of Australia's economic growth.[14] Climate Change Minister Penny Wong did not comment directly on the report but said that economic responsibility needed to be considered in responding to the report, and that the Government would wait for Treasury modelling on climate change mitigation before responding.[15]

Source: Garnaut Climate Change Review - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So why do you delimit your own thinking with regards to what kinds of reductions of Green House Gas (GHG) emissions could be possible, if humanity as a whole – or at least the democratic countries – really got serious about cutting emissions as much as possible?

The science is clear. We have to get back to 350 ppm CO2. And we have to do that as fast as possible. If we somehow manage to do that faster than some Australian dude expected 5 or so years ago – so what? Wouldn’t that be friggin marvelous?

Tesla stunned the world with what was possible with the Roadster, the Model S and the Supercharger network. How many thought those kinds of achievements were possible? These are the kinds of achievement we are going to need across the board.

Dr. Heidi Cullen appeared on "This Week" on ABC News.

: Extreme Weather Panel | Watch the video - Yahoo News

It was nice to see an actual climatologist on national news, we don't see that enough. Dr. Cullen gave the exact point that I've been trying to hammer this whole time... that while it can be ambiguous to link a specific weather event to global warming, that global warming itself increases the risk of extreme weather events. She gave the smoking analogy which I think is a good one, that smoking increases the risk of lung cancer. People can get lung cancer without smoking, and smokers may go their whole lives with lung cancer, but the habit of smoking itself increases the risk of lung cancer. This seems to me to be an easy analogy, but unfortunately flies over the head of many.

And of those people would be Gov. Pat McCrory of NC. I held a little hope that he would say something clever or interesting. I was disappointed, but not surprised.

@SwedishAdvocate

I maybe wrong but simply decreasing CO2 emissions will not be helpful to decrease CO2 concentration in the atmosphere because CO2 keeps staying in the atmosphere for a long period (one century) and because the energy demand of mankind is increasing.
I agree that the target of 350 ppm should be achieved for CO2 concentration in the atmosphere but IMO such a target cannot reached by simply decreasing CO2 emissions.
Just my opinion.

.../I maybe wrong but simply decreasing CO2 emissions will not be helpful to decrease CO2 concentration in the atmosphere because CO2 keeps staying in the atmosphere for a long period (one century) and because the energy demand of mankind is increasing.
I agree that the target of 350 ppm should be achieved for CO2 concentration in the atmosphere but IMO such a target cannot reached by simply decreasing CO2 emissions.
Just my opinion.
I am pretty sure that you are wrong.

According to Wikipedia:

.../ Stabilizing atmospheric CO2 concentrations would require anthropogenic CO2 emissions to be reduced by 80% relative to the peak emissions level. /.../ An 80% reduction in emissions would stabilize CO2 concentrations for around a century, but even greater reductions would be required beyond this. /...

Climate change mitigation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So in order to start to bring the CO2-level down we need CO2-cuts in excess of 80%. And we need to expand and optimize the CO2-absorbing biosphere as much as is humanly possible. This is what we will have to start doing until some kind of ‘magic bullet’-technology is operational. And if that technology never comes into fruition, then we will have to continue with the technology we have.

If indeed the energy demand of mankind is increasing – well, tough luck!

Until that energy can be produced sustainably – we can simply forget about that “energy demand”!

- - - Updated - - -

...] The most difficult task, phase-out over the next 20-25 years of coal use that does not capture CO2, is Herculean, yet feasible when compared with the efforts that went into World War II. The stakes, for all life on the planet, surpass those of any previous crisis. The greatest danger is continued ignorance and denial, which could make tragic consequences unavoidable.

Source:

Target atmospheric CO2: Where should humanity aim? –– J. Hansen (1 and 2), M. Sato (1 and 2), P. Kharecha (1 and 2), D. Beerling (3), R. Berner (4), V. Masson-Delmotte (5), M. Pagani (4), M. Raymo (6), D. L. Royer (7), J. C. Zachos (8) ((1) NASA GISS, (2) Columbia Univ. Earth Institute, (3) Univ. Sheffield, (4) Yale Univ., (5) LSCE/IPSL, (6) Boston Univ., (7) Wesleyan Univ., (8) Univ. California Santa Cruz)

Abstract here: http://arxiv.org/abs/0804.1126

And that was written more than four years ago.

Last edited:
This is a great app to play around with, and underscores an important point. Far too many are confused on regional temperature vs global temperature.

Climate Change | New Scientist

Notice how surface temperature varies from region to region. While overall global surface temperature has risen on average, some regions have seen no significant rise in temperature, while other regions, such as the Arctic, have seen dramatic rise in temperature. I want to underscore that point, as a frequent climate denier technique is take a regional graph of surface temperature from a place that hasn't seen significant warming and say "Hey look at this! So much for global warming!".

And another thing, this is just surface temperature. As discussed before, the lion's share of global warming is taking place in the oceans.

So in order to start to bring the CO2-level down we need CO2-cuts in excess of 80%.

That's why I think you cannot reduce CO2 concentration in the atmosphere by decreasing CO2 emissions. You cannot simply cut 80% CO2 emissions in a reasonable time. Believe me.
If we want to reduce CO2 concentration to 350 ppm within 2050 we need to find out something else.

That's why I think you cannot reduce CO2 concentration in the atmosphere by decreasing CO2 emissions. You cannot simply cut 80% CO2 emissions in a reasonable time. Believe me.
If we want to reduce CO2 concentration to 350 ppm within 2050 we need to find out something else.
With your line of thought we certainly won’t be able to.

As I’ve pointed out in post #1142 above, Mark Jacobson et al. says it is possible to cut more than 80% of the US emissions. That means we can cut more than 80% globally. The time frame does of course matter. But regardless, it needs to be done ASAP, so why not try and cut it as fast as possible?

When you say it cannot be done, what are you basing that on? And, no offense, but that Aussie review doesn’t count.

Will we have to make changes to our incredibly spoilt lives?

Yeah, unless we can preserve our lifestyle without continuing to emit Green House Gasses, we will have to make changes. Because our current lifestyles are a luxury that the children of this planet, and their children and so on and so forth, will have to pay for with the remainder of their lives! And no matter what they do, and no matter how hard they work, they won’t be able to escape.

@SwedishAdvocate

In the USA the oil used for transportation is 46% of the total oil consumption. So if we could convert all transportation in the USA to electric we could reduce something like 46% of CO2 emissions (not exactly because as you know each fossil fuel has a different value of CO2 emission).

Then if you want to translate this matter to global level things can get even more difficult.

Do you think that we could convert to electric all transportation in the USA in a short time? I don't think so. Then a cut of CO2 emissions of 80% is very very difficult to get. Believe me.

Democracy Now! spent last Thursday (February 13) talking about Man Made Climate Change.

The YouTube Versions:

Meteorologist Jeff Masters: Climate Change Affecting Weather Patterns Regardless of Season

Governors have declared states of emergencies from Louisiana to New Jersey due to a massive snow and ice storm. A National Weather Service memo calls the storm "an event of historical proportions," identifying it as "catastrophic ... crippling ... paralyzing ... choose your adjective." The storm has already caused at least 13 deaths and left 550,000 without power. We speak to Jeff Masters, director of meteorology at the Weather Underground.

"This Should Not Come as a Surprise": Bill McKibben on Global Extreme Weather from U.S. to Sochi

While governors have declared states of emergency from Louisiana to New Jersey due to the massive snow and ice storm, other examples of extreme weather are being seen across the globe. California is facing possibly its worst drought in 500 years. In Russia temperatures have topped 60 degrees Fahrenheit at the Winter Olympic in Sochi. Meanwhile in Britain, gusts of more than 100 miles per hour lashed western England and Wales overnight, and in London the Thames has risen to its highest level in decades. "This is the kind of crazy weather that scientists said will mark the advent of climate change in its early stages," says 350.org co-founder Bill McKibben. "And it should be the warning that we need to actually do something, but so far our leaders haven’t taken up that challenge."

Bill McKibben on Fight Against Keystone XL, Fossil Fuel Divestment and Obama’s Failures on Climate

Hundreds of college students are expected to risk arrest on March 2 outside the White House to pressure President Obama to reject the Keystone XL tar sands oil pipeline project. Organizers of "XL Dissent" say they hope to stage one of the largest acts of civil disobedience against the pipeline to date. The Keystone XL would carry 830,000 barrels of oil a day from Canada to the Gulf Coast. In January, a long-awaited environmental impact statement from the State Department found the Keystone XL would do little to slow the expansion of Canada’s vast oil sands, and would not significantly exacerbate the problem of greenhouse gas emissions. The Washington Post later revealed the review was run by a dues-paying member of the American Petroleum Institute with close ties to the company behind the pipeline, TransCanada. As we enter the final steps in the Keystone XL decision, we are joined by Bill McKibben, co-founder and director of 350.org.

McKibben describes how the effort to confront global warming is growing worldwide. "The one place where we’ve really been able to go on the offense is this divestment movement. It has now spread around the world. Oxford University published a study in October saying it was the fastest-growing such corporate campaign in history. Universities, colleges, churches, city and state governments, pension funds — all now starting with an exhilarating pace to cut their ties with fossil fuel industries. It is one place where there is some real hope."

N.C. Governor No Longer Works for Duke Energy, But After Coal Spill, Is He Doing Their Bidding?

In one of the worst coal ash spills in U.S. history, up to 27 million gallons of contaminated water and 82,000 tons of coal ash spilled into North Carolina’s Dan River after a pipe burst underneath a waste pond. That is enough toxic sludge to fill more than 70 Olympic swimming pools. The river has turned grey for miles, and environmentalists say they have found arsenic levels 35 times higher than the maximum set by federal regulators. Did state regulators intentionally block lawsuits against Duke Energy in order to shield the company where Republican Gov. Pat McCrory worked for 28 years? We speak to Amy Adams, who recently resigned from the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources in protest of changes at the agency last year. She now works with the organization Appalachian Voices.

More Video & Audio formats as well as complete transcripts here (including .mp3 for instance…):

February 13, 2014 | Democracy Now!

- - - Updated - - -

@SwedishAdvocate

In the USA the oil used for transportation is 46% of the total oil consumption. So if we could convert all transportation in the USA to electric we could reduce something like 46% of CO2 emissions (not exactly because as you know each fossil fuel has a different value of CO2 emission).

Then if you want to translate this matter to global level things can get even more difficult.

Do you think that we could convert to electric all transportation in the USA in a short time? I don't think so. Then a cut of CO2 emissions of 80% is very very difficult to get. Believe me.
This is where people will have to make a choice.

Either they choose to continue to make their children's future as $#!77¥ as possible.

Or, they choose to start to begin and see what they could ship by rail, and what they simply don’t need to ship at all.

And if they absolutely need a F-150/RAM 3500/SILVERADO/SIERRA 3500HD DENALI.

Or, if they might just possibly be able to get around using something else.

And so on, and so forth…

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where people will have to make a choice.

Either they choose to continue to make their children's future as $#!77¥ as possible.

Or, they choose to start to begin and see what they could ship by rail, and what they simply don’t need to ship at all.

And if they absolutely need a F-150/RAM 3500/SILVERADO/SIERRA 3500HD DENALI.

Or, if they might just possibly be able to get around using something else.

And so on, and so forth…

Agree. Problem is that people still have not made a choice. That's why you cannot count on a 80% reduction of CO2 emissions within 2050.

1. That is indeed a problem.

2. No. You can’t count on it. But I’m not going to buy that it cannot be done. And the fact remains: If we want to alter they dynamics of AGW, we do not have a choice.

I know that you got the main point. Problem is that it looks to me that most of the rest of mankind didn't get it.
For instance when in Italy I speak to my friends of GW they look at me as if I came from Mars.

So IMO we cannot count on a 80% reduction of CO2 emissions. If we want to get a CO2 concentration in the atmosphere of 350 ppm we have to think to something else apart from reduction of CO2 emissions. Geoengineering?

I know that you got the main point. Problem is that it looks to me that most of the rest of mankind didn't get it.
[A] For instance when in Italy I speak to my friends of GW they look at me as if I came from Mars.

So IMO we cannot count on a 80% reduction of CO2 emissions. If we want to get a CO2 concentration in the atmosphere of 350 ppm we have to think to something else apart from reduction of CO2 emissions. Geoengineering?
[A] I’m guessing that’s because:

1 They don’t understand the basic physics and chemistry behind Global Warming and how humans have altered the balance that has been persistent during human civilization up until ~the year 1880.

2 They don’t understand how much humans have altered this balance.

3 They don’t understand that humans will continue to alter this balance unless we cut emissions ~80%.

4 They have not seen the graph that describes the sea-level rise since ~1880. They have not seen where that graph is pointing.

5. They do not know that there is a 97% scientific consensus.

How? The best geoengineering we can do is to cut emissions more than 80%.