Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Climate Change issue has no political color so I refrain to say anything having political meaning, and I always refer to the Science.

This attitude of Governor DeSantis to deny the Science of the GHE and AGW is a serious lack of respect for people of Florida who have been hit by the recent floods IMHO.
Since I got a thumb down to the quoted post I have the feeling that my position to have a neutral political point of view about the Climate Change issue has not been understood.
So I wish to report this video by Greta Thunberg which better explains my view about the Climate Change issue.

Greta Thunberg: I have not come to offer any prepared remarks at this hearing.
I am instead attacching my testimony.
It is the IPCC Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5°Celsius.
The SR1.5 which was released on 8 October 2018.
I am submitting this report as my testimony because I DON'T WANT YOU TO LISTEN TO ME I WANT YOU TO LISTEN TO THE SCIENTISTS AND I WANT YOU TO UNITE BEHIND THE SCIENCE and I want you to take real action.

Chairman: Could you expand on why it is SO IMPORTANT TO LISTEN TO THE SCIENCE?

Greta Thunberg: Just such a thing that we should be taking for granted that we listen to the CURRENT BEST AVAILABLE UNITED SCIENCE. IT'S JUST SOMETHING THAT EVERYONE SHOULD DO. THIS IS NOT POLITICAL OPINIONS POLITICAL VIEWS OR MY OPINIONS THIS IS THE SCIENCE!

Since I got a thumb down to the quoted post I have the feeling that my position to have a neutral political point of view about the Climate Change issue has not been understood.
So I wish to report this video by Greta Thunberg which better explains my view about the Climate Change issue.

Greta Thunberg: I have not come to offer any prepared remarks at this hearing.
I am instead attacching my testimony.
It is the IPCC Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5°Celsius.
The SR1.5 which was released on 8 October 2018.
I am submitting this report as my testimony because I DON'T WANT YOU TO LISTEN TO ME I WANT YOU TO LISTEN TO THE SCIENTISTS AND I WANT YOU TO UNITE BEHIND THE SCIENCE and I want you to take real action.

Chairman: Could you expand on why it is SO IMPORTANT TO LISTEN TO THE SCIENCE?

Greta Thunberg: Just such a thing that we should be taking for granted that we listen to the CURRENT BEST AVAILABLE UNITED SCIENCE. IT'S JUST SOMETHING THAT EVERYONE SHOULD DO. THIS IS NOT POLITICAL OPINIONS POLITICAL VIEWS OR MY OPINIONS THIS IS THE SCIENCE!
I invite all TMC Members to watch the reported video by Greta Thunberg.

President of COP29 is Mukhtar Babayev who is the Minister of Ecology and Natural Resources of Azerbaijan Republic and the former Vice President for Ecology of SOCAR, Azerbaijan's national oil company.

So the President of COP29 is not the CEO of an oil Company like it happened at COP28, but is former Vice President of the Azerbaijan's national oil company. And Azerbaijan is first of all a Petrostate.

Considering the gravity of the Climate Change issue these are not good things IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: mspohr

NASA is warning us that the extra heat (Energy Imbalance produced by the GHE and the ALBEDO Feedback Loop) and extra CO2 in the atmosphere are absorbed by the Oceans.
In fact 93% of the Energy Imbalance produced by the GHE and the ALBEDO Feedback Loop is absorbed by the Oceans.
Also the extra CO2 in the atmosphere is absorbed by the Oceans causing the Ocean Acidification issue.

(NASA Source)

Last edited:

I have been hit by this pic of Italy. From some days we are having yellow sky over Italy. The massive Saharan dust transport from Africa reached the whole Italy as this Satellite image detected on June 20th.

In fact everybody here in Italy is complaining about this strange weather that we are having here in Italy. This is another aspect of the Climate Change issue which can cause stronger winds.

In fact you can store more moisture in a warmer atmosphere, so you can evaporate more. This means that the temperature difference between the surrounding air and the air that falls out of the thunderstorm is getting bigger, which causes a stronger downdraft and a stronger wind at the surface.

• Informative

A geoengineering technique designed to reduce high temperatures in California could inadvertently intensify heatwaves in Europe, according to a study that models the unintended consequences of regional tinkering with a changing climate. The paper shows that targeted interventions to lower temperature in one area for one season might bring temporary benefits to some populations, but this has to be set against potentially negative side-effects in other parts of the world and shifting degrees of effectiveness over time. The authors of the study said the findings were “scary” because the world has few or no regulations in place to prevent regional applications of the technique, marine cloud brightening, which involves spraying reflective aerosols (usually in the form of sea salt or sea spray) into stratocumulus clouds over the ocean to reflect more solar radiation back into space.

The new paper suggests the consequences could be much further reaching and harder to predict. Published on Friday in Nature Climate Change, the authors claim to be the first to demonstrate that cloud brightening effects can diminish or reverse as climate conditions change due to the already dramatic human impacts of burning fossil fuels and forests.

In simulations of the more disrupted climate of 2050, however, the same two operations produced very different results because there were fewer clouds, higher base temperatures and a slowing of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation (Amoc). Under these mid-century conditions, the operation near Alaska would have a drastically reduced effect on relieving heat stress in the western US, while the subtropical operation would push temperatures higher – the opposite of the desired result.

• Informative
Reactions: Raffy.Roma

You have a constitutional right to fight for life-sustaining climate policy and you have mobilized our people in this case,” Josh Green, the Hawaii governor, told the 13 young plantiffs in the case, saying he hoped the settlement would inspire similar action across the country. Under what legal experts called a “historic” settlement, announced on Thursday, Hawaii officials will release a roadmap “to fully decarbonize the state’s transportation systems, taking all actions necessary to achieve zero emissions no later than 2045 for ground transportation, sea and inter-island air transportation”, Andrea Rodgers, one of the attorneys representing the plaintiffs in the case, said at a press conference with the governor.

It’s written down, it’s enforceable, and that makes all in the difference in the world between a promise and actual implementation,” Antolini said.

The state legislature has also passed a goal of decarbonizing the transportation sector. And Hawaii’s 2050 sustainability plan calls to make all state vehicles carbon free by 2035. But the state has moved in the wrong direction. Between 2020 and 2021, carbon emissions in Hawaii increased by more than 16%. The plaintiffs say Hawaii’s department of transportation has missed every interim benchmark to reduce its planet-warming emissions since 2008. And per capita, Hawaii emits more carbon than 85% of countries on Earth, attorneys wrote in the 2022 lawsuit.

A geoengineering technique designed to reduce high temperatures in California could inadvertently intensify heatwaves in Europe, according to a study that models the unintended consequences of regional tinkering with a changing climate. The paper shows that targeted interventions to lower temperature in one area for one season might bring temporary benefits to some populations, but this has to be set against potentially negative side-effects in other parts of the world and shifting degrees of effectiveness over time. The authors of the study said the findings were “scary” because the world has few or no regulations in place to prevent regional applications of the technique, marine cloud brightening, which involves spraying reflective aerosols (usually in the form of sea salt or sea spray) into stratocumulus clouds over the ocean to reflect more solar radiation back into space.

The new paper suggests the consequences could be much further reaching and harder to predict. Published on Friday in Nature Climate Change, the authors claim to be the first to demonstrate that cloud brightening effects can diminish or reverse as climate conditions change due to the already dramatic human impacts of burning fossil fuels and forests.

In simulations of the more disrupted climate of 2050, however, the same two operations produced very different results because there were fewer clouds, higher base temperatures and a slowing of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation (Amoc). Under these mid-century conditions, the operation near Alaska would have a drastically reduced effect on relieving heat stress in the western US, while the subtropical operation would push temperatures higher – the opposite of the desired result.
As usual you never know what the effects of GEOENGINEERING will be. It would be better to work out the Climate Change issue without using GEOENGINEERING, but I am afraid that sooner or later the consequences of the Climate Change issue will be so bad that we will be forced to use GEOENGINEERING.

I have been hit by this pic of Italy. From some days we are having yellow sky over Italy. The massive Saharan dust transport from Africa reached the whole Italy as this Satellite image detected on June 20th.

In fact everybody here in Italy is complaining about this strange weather that we are having here in Italy. This is another aspect of the Climate Change issue which can cause stronger winds.

In fact you can store more moisture in a warmer atmosphere, so you can evaporate more. This means that the temperature difference between the surrounding air and the air that falls out of the thunderstorm is getting bigger, which causes a stronger downdraft and a stronger wind at the surface.

But according to the ESA Earth Observation Department there are pros and cons in the Saharan dust travelling.

While it poses a threat for our health, it's also a major source of nutrients for Earth's soils and oceans!

Last edited:
This is the New normal for climate chaos

It’s been a harrowing week of fire and flood in New Mexico. Just days after a pair of fast-moving fires roared across drought-stricken landscapes and into communities, a tropical storm swirled north, unleashing downpours and golf ball-sized hail over scorched slopes that had only just burned.

As the dueling dangers of two weather extremes converged, charred debris flowed into neighborhoods, crews were temporarily evacuated from the fire fight as emergency officials pivoted from fire support to flood rescues, and strong winds swept up dried soils to create one of the largest dust storms the state has ever seen. Across the arid south-west, where fire risks typically rise with the temperatures in the spring before they are doused in a summer monsoon, weather patterns like these aren’t unheard of. But the climate crisis has supercharged extreme conditions, setting the stage for new types of catastrophes that are increasing in both intensity and frequency.

• Informative
Reactions: Raffy.Roma

ESA is going to launch the Arctic Weather Satellite in a few weeks, a new satellite that, once in orbit will show how short-term weather forecasts in the Arctic and beyond could be improved.

It is actually a prototype – the forerunner of a potential constellation of satellites, called EPS-Sterna, that ESA would build for Eumetsat when this prototype has demonstrated its potential after a year in orbit.

The impacts of the climate crisis are being felt more in the Arctic compared to other parts of the world. Nevertheless, what happens in the Arctic doesn’t stay in the Arctic so these changes are affecting the Earth system as a whole.

So also the Arctic Weather Satellite will be useful to work out the Climate Change issue.

GO BIG ARCTIC WEATHER SATELLITE!