Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They picked 2035 for cars and 2045 for trucks, because they are pretty certain nobody would be buying ICE versions of those by that date anyway, so it is a nice PR stunt with zero teeth.
One of the recurrent arguments in courts of legacy manufacturers trying to snuff a rule is that they were not given enough time to adapt to the (now upon them) regulation. They demand at least 5 years and often 10 years. CA is giving them 15 years, or about 6.6% conversion a year from ICE to EV manufacturing

There was a record rise last year of 1.8% in the number of new gas boilers installed, showing that the UK is going in the wrong direction.

I recently installed a heat pump, doesn't completely get me off gas, but handles the majority of the spring/fall cooler periods, and leaves gas for only cold cold days in Nov-Feb, it's something, but the tech to go to -10C (or colder) heat pumps is prohibitively expensive, so I went with a more moderate heat pump tech that worked to just around freezing. It's hard to pay 3x the price for that extra few months per year ...

Reactions: iPlug and SageBrush
I recently installed a heat pump, doesn't completely get me off gas, but handles the majority of the spring/fall cooler periods, and leaves gas for only cold cold days in Nov-Feb, it's something, but the tech to go to -10C (or colder) heat pumps is prohibitively expensive, so I went with a more moderate heat pump tech that worked to just around freezing. It's hard to pay 3x the price for that extra few months per year ...
Understood, and particularly for Toronto winter.

For me cutting the NG noose completely saves me ~ $2,000 in fixed utility fees over the life of heat pump. That covers a fair bit of the marginal cost of covering the coldest days. It also helps that I anticipate very cheap electricity from an inexpensive PV install.

I'm building a new house. It's at 6400 ft. elevation in the Sierras. No A/C necessary but, of course, we need winter heating. Fortunately, the temperatures in the winter don't get too low. Usually 20 to 30 F at night and above freezing in the day. Rare to get much colder.
I'm installing a heat pump for hydronic heating and hot water. Electric induction range, heat pump clothes dryer.
Wanted to go completely without NG but wife prevailed with logic and we're installing a gas log fireplace as "backup" heat.

What heat pump did you go with? The Mr Cool universal system is roughly the same price as most I've seen and it works to -30C.

Wanted to go completely without NG but wife prevailed with logic and we're installing a gas log fireplace as "backup" heat.

... wouldn't a wood stove make more sense for backup? Gas lines can get broken but you're unlikely to run out of wood to burn :)

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I'm building a new house. It's at 6400 ft. elevation in the Sierras. No A/C necessary but, of course, we need winter heating. Fortunately, the temperatures in the winter don't get too low. Usually 20 to 30 F at night and above freezing in the day. Rare to get much colder.
I'm installing a heat pump for hydronic heating and hot water. Electric induction range, heat pump clothes dryer.
That puts you level to me ;-)

I'd love to "build" (with a contractor) a new home. You have a chance to specify an environmentally sound home envelope for your local climate that makes it a LOT easier to go all electric and clean energy

Zyrthryn's home in MN is a very good example.

Reactions: mspohr
That puts you level to me ;-)

I'd love to "build" (with a contractor) a new home. You have a chance to specify an environmentally sound home envelope for your local climate that makes it a LOT easier to go all electric and clean energy

Zyrthryn's home in MN is a very good example.
Of course we have lots of insulation (roof is R58). We also found a building wrap from Henry that has an adhesive backing for better air tightness.

What heat pump did you go with? The Mr Cool universal system is roughly the same price as most I've seen and it works to -30C

Have absolutely looked into the Mr Cool, watched videos and read the literature and reviews.
Mr Cool doesn't integrate with existing forced air duct work, it's a room by room system.
In an older 1940's cape cod home like ours, wasn't going to work, would have needed too many mods and too many Mr Cools.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
Have absolutely looked into the Mr Cool, watched videos and read the literature and reviews.
Mr Cool doesn't integrate with existing forced air duct work, it's a room by room system.
In an older 1940's cape cod home like ours, wasn't going to work, would have needed too many mods and too many Mr Cools.

The Mr Cool universal is a central air ducted system. Probably have to replace the air handler but that would be required for any upgrade to a HVAC unit using R410A.

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 2.33.54 PM.png

Yup I've been looking at the Mr. Cool Universal system myself. I'm installing one of their mini splits in my garage first to see how that goes. Only downside to the Universal systems is I think the warranty requires professional installation, which doesn't really make sense since they can use the same pre-charged sealed lines as their DIY units.

Yup I've been looking at the Mr. Cool Universal system myself. I'm installing one of their mini splits in my garage first to see how that goes. Only downside to the Universal systems is I think the warranty requires professional installation, which doesn't really make sense since they can use the same pre-charged sealed lines as their DIY units.
I'm installing Chiltrix CX34 units. They output hot or cold water so you don't have to deal with Freon lines. Makes for an easy installation.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Interesting stuff. I didn’t look into Mr. Cool. I had a Carrier Greenspeed put in over the summer and a Rheem heat pump water heater. I had put in an induction cooktop earlier. It was nice having the gas company remove the meter. Unfortunately, I can’t put more solar on the house. The HOA is being a pain. Georgia doesn’t have a solar rights law.

my next steps are ERVs and an r8 window for the attic. Then I’ll foam the attic. After that I figure 3 years of do it yourself sealing around the foundation and checking windows.

one nice thing on the Carrier unit is that it has a lifetime warranty courtesy of the installer which is the largest company in the area.

The climate battle quietly raging this week about US homes

Developers and gas utilities have not been pleased with the outcome.

Yet none of the proposals would ban gas appliances. They would only make buildings ready for electric ones, in case future homeowners choose them or future policies require them.
The right direction, at least. Substantially cheaper to install appropriately placed 240V outlets during building construction than to hire an electrician to do these later.

The right direction, at least. Substantially cheaper to install appropriately placed 240V outlets during building construction than to hire an electrician to do these later.
Builders are against the added cost but as you point out, this is very cheap to do during new construction. (I'm building a house now and putting in two 240v sockets for EVs ... cost is a rounding error in the cost of the project.)
I think it 's being driven primarily by the oil and gas industry who see a clear threat to their revenue.