Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very cool story! But takes a long time to transition for even a few trees, not so sure there is that much time, not sure that's creating food vs just shade.

I just saw a story on Las Vegas claiming they have no worries because of well water (OK) and that the river owes them essentially. So counting on their allotments when it dries up is pretty funny/sad. Sounds like PR that real estate folks would conjure up. Meanwhile, I have a friend moving from Utah to Vegas, plans to boat in Mead. Maybe he read that article but Utah ain't much better.

Vegas uses like 3% of the allocation, is located at the dam, and had built a straw below dead pool. If water hits Deadpool and the 97% downstream don't get their water, Vegas will be fine. It is AZ and CA that has to worry more. CA is not taking the situation seriously in the negotiations for cuts.

• Informative
Reactions: SOULPEDL

The expected approval is a victory for Alaska’s bipartisan congressional delegation and a coalition of Alaska Native tribes and groups who hailed the drilling venture as a much-needed new source of revenue and jobs for the remote region. It is a major blow to climate groups and Alaska Natives who oppose Willow, arguing the project will hurt the president’s ambitious climate goals and pose health and environmental risks.

Reactions: SOULPEDL and DrGriz

The expected approval is a victory for Alaska’s bipartisan congressional delegation and a coalition of Alaska Native tribes and groups who hailed the drilling venture as a much-needed new source of revenue and jobs for the remote region. It is a major blow to climate groups and Alaska Natives who oppose Willow, arguing the project will hurt the president’s ambitious climate goals and pose health and environmental risks.

dammit-damn.gif

In Montana, It’s Youth vs. the State in a Landmark Climate Case https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/24/...XoSHw24uGJ7HXxqIeaCHmn1JJ0uk8rGn78JesqRKwOXmk

In their complaint, filed in 2020, the young activists seized on language in the Montana state Constitution that guarantees residents “the right to a clean and healthful environment,” and stipulates that the state and individuals are responsible for maintaining and improving the environment “for present and future generations.”

Older people like me need to start protesting for our planet | Bill McKibben

The brutal truth is that last week’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report didn’t have the effect it should have had, or that its authors clearly intended. Produced by thousands of scientists who synthesized the work of tens of thousands of their peers over the last decade, and meticulously drafted by teams of careful communicators, it landed in the world with a gentle plop, not the resounding thud that’s required.So I’m proud to report that these bank demonstrations were organized by Third Act, a climate activist organization for people over the age of 60; the carbon in the air is our legacy, but we are beginning to rise to the occasion, producing the kind of activism that can help slow the disaster.

Updated research on agrivoltaics.

Mainly, this was due to the light-reflecting powers of the soybeans (70%, versus just 20% from bare ground), which cooled the ground surface and by default reduced the panels’ exposure to heat. But the exact panel height was important too: the model revealed that constructing solar panels on legs that stood 4 meters above the crops created the optimal conditions for convective cooling to occur between the ground and the units. Evapotranspiring vegetation also provided cooling as water droplets formed at the base of the panels.

Oysters and whisky? Why the pairing could have huge benefits for wildlife in Scotland

A new rewilding project part-funded by the Glenmorangie distillery plans to use native oysters a water filters, which would prevent the quality of the company’s whisky from deteriorating, but also mitigate the effects of the organic waste released into the waters of Dornoch Firth. In addition, researchers say the process could increase biodiversity in the area by 50% by the end of the decade

Naomi Kennon, the lead author and PhD researcher in restorative ecology at Heriot-Watt, says: “The findings from our research in Loch Ryan are extremely exciting, demonstrating that biodiversity will probably double over a decade once oyster restoration projects are complete. This means the population of species will increase in a balanced way.

The emerging carbon offsets market is chaotic and dysfunctional. Problems need to be addressed openly, and resolved as quickly as possible. A joint investigation by the Guardian, the German weekly Die Zeit and SourceMaterial revealed in January that the vast majority of rainforest offset credits from the leading certifier – which are sold to companies that then use them to make claims about their overall emissions – do not offer the environmental benefits that they claim. Since then, scrutiny has only increased, with more questions being asked of the western businesses behind projects such as Kariba, a huge offset-promoted forest in Zimbabwe.
The danger of carbon offsets, frequently raised by campaigners, is that their primary function is greenwashing. Fossil fuel companies are among their biggest buyers; Verra has close ties to the industry. Allowing companies to declare themselves, or products including airline tickets, to be “carbon neutral”, is not just misleading – when the offsets have been shown to be flawed – but harmful. As well as giving businesses a licence to carry on polluting, it fuels the widespread fantasy that western lifestyles do not need to change, and that consumption can continue unabated.

I bought my Tesla because it has amazing Tech and it's a fantastic car overall. Honestly I do not believe the Climate Change thing at all, there have been many periods in our planets history were CO2 has been very much higher than it is now. It's just another in a long series of "emergencies." I'm old enough to remember a few of them including global cooling, we were supposed to be a floating ice cube by now. If you want a movie reference look at the ending of the film AI, it was a cautionary tale.

However, I do believe we need to be good custodians of our planet and should do the right thing by it. We should stop the massive deforestation occurring and stop polluting our oceans. Protect endangered species and protect our waterways, reduce strip mining where possible and protect prime lands. The hysteria is not needed.

I bought my Tesla because it has amazing Tech and it's a fantastic car overall. Honestly I do not believe the Climate Change thing at all, there have been many periods in our planets history were CO2 has been very much higher than it is now. It's just another in a long series of "emergencies." I'm old enough to remember a few of them including global cooling, we were supposed to be a floating ice cube by now. If you want a movie reference look at the ending of the film AI, it was a cautionary tale.
Everything you said has been thoroughly and repeatedly debunked in this thread. The heat trapping physics of CO2 and CH4 are irrefutable, there has never been such a drastic spike in their atmospheric concentrations while humans existed, and global cooling was a limited theory of what might happen if man made particulates kept increasing to block sunlight and is actually an example of humanity taking steps to reduce their impact.

The story observed – accurately – that there had been a gradual decrease in global average temperatures from about 1940, now believed to be a consequence of soot and aerosols that offered a partial shield to the earth as well as the gradual retreat of an abnormally warm interlude.

Some climatologists predicted the trend would continue, inching the earth toward the colder averages of the "Little Ice Age" from the 16th to 19th centuries.

"When I wrote this story I did not see it as a blockbuster," Gwynne recalled. "It was just an intriguing piece about what a certain group in a certain niche of climatology was thinking."