Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given how terrible Tesla Service has been at properly handling something as simple as "I would like to buy a part and pick it up, part number: nnnnnnn-nn-n"... I feel no problem with doing whatever their incredibly limited self-service options allow. Tesla Service is digging their own grave with the terrible way they handle things, and not giving a reasonable way to buy parts without "cold visiting" a SC and hoping they have it / no way to ask in advance.

... grumble ...

Anyway, hmm. I don't know - my issue has come and gone. Now that Service Mode is freely available in 2022.16.x (you can find the details in the public Service Manual), you might want to run an HVAC diagnostic test, takes just a few minutes. Doing a software reinstall (once! just to test) may also recalibrate the HVAC sensors, as it did for me when I installed my new part.

I haven't had any issues for a while now, and I mostly leave it on "auto" and set the temperature. But I find it really doesn't compensate well for the heat radiating through the glass roof on a hot day... I've got it set to 67, ice blaring from the dash, and it still feels hot. But it's not working illogically - not trying to defrost dry air, for example.

And hey, when defrosting, you generally want warm/hot air to melt ice 👀 So the logic ain't terribly unsound... just another edge case where the sensor being messed up is causing all sorts of screwiness.

Hopefully a diagnostic can tell you what's going on, or more details perhaps...

Reactions: thefrog1394
Now that Service Mode is freely available in 2022.16.x (you can find the details in the public Service Manual), you might want to run an HVAC diagnostic test, takes just a few minutes.

Tried entering service mode using the traditional method at home but no luck. I’m on FSD Beta (2022.12.3.20) so I guess I probably don’t have the unlocked service mode functionality yet.

Is lack of geofence in the new software confirmed? I saw a few folks speculating that it might be, but no confirmation.

Reactions: FalconFour
Stopped by the Tesla dealer so I could enter service mode. Couldn't find humidity sensor readings anywhere. No alerts other than the usual Autopilot freakouts. I was in a rush and supercharging, so the HVAC test warnings scared me off. Anyone know what exactly happens when you click the start Test HVAC Performance button?

1658777578988.png

You'll be baked alive in the car and then frozen to preserve your corpse.

😂

No but really, it'll get a bit hot inside, then cool. Nothing too wild. I'm pretty sure "test thermal performance" refers to power-train/battery heating and cooling, so not relevant here.

You'll get a whole page of JSON results when you do the HVAC test. Could be handy!

(Don't do it while Supercharging, though. Optimally you should just be sitting in a parking lot with no rush. You can "take service mode with you" as well, by disabling speed limit at the top & re-enabling the audio amp at the bottom of the page - just be aware it disables walk-away lock and mobile app while you're in Service Mode)

Reactions: thefrog1394
I just had my windshield replaced at 10k miles and this problem developed (climate keeper not working, auto climate defaulting on feet, also seems to be less efficient/slower to cool), noticing a few hours after pickup from the SC. In addition to my windshield wipers not being put back on correctly, the a-pillar speaker on the passenger side is also now crackling intermittently on bumps. Does anyone know if this harness interfaces with that speaker, and could be causing that as well? I seem to remember seeing a thread about it before I had this issue but can't recall.

Second, anyone know if it's something mobile service can replace? I have a current mobile service scheduled for another fix so at the risk of losing that so I don't want to experiment with the scheduling page to add any issues to the visit, and live 2hrs from an SC so would love to not have to drive back ha

Stopped by the Tesla dealer so I could enter service mode. Couldn't find humidity sensor readings anywhere. No alerts other than the usual Autopilot freakouts. I was in a rush and supercharging, so the HVAC test warnings scared me off. Anyone know what exactly happens when you click the start Test HVAC Performance button?

View attachment 832651
Did you ever find out about the auto defogging problem? I get it all the time and when it’s doing it, it doesn’t heat or cool the cabin. Sometimes it’s stuck on for the whole journey.

Late to the party but today, after having the windshield replaced, I experienced the fatal message in the hvac screen and I managed to fix it :
Screenshot 2022-11-17 204614.jpg

No messages in the user log but plenty of info in the service menu alerts screen:
Screenshot 2022-11-17 204646.jpg

I followed the issue to the THS in the central camera mount and, indeed, it was a poor contact on the lin-bus coupling of the sensor.
Screenshot 2022-11-17 204737.jpg Screenshot 2022-11-17 204759.jpg

After unplugging and plugging it back all the alert messages cleared out in the service menu and everything went back to normal .... phew !
Screenshot 2022-11-17 204714.jpg