Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Close call at intersection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was about a second away from being T-boned today. I was stopped at an intersection in Culver City when the light turned green. It took me a full second to start moving, and I accelerated quite slowly mainly because my wife was in the car and she's not generally a fan of fast launches (I leave the Insane launches for when I'm driving alone).

About one second in I caught in the corner of my eye an Audi Q5 coming pretty fast on the closest lane that I was about to cross. I was going only like 5 mph so I was able to stop very quickly and when the Q5 totally ran his red he missed us by a couple of feet, but had I decided to go straight on to the freeway ramp instead of turning left (which made me look that way and see the car sooner), or had I started moving the second the light turned green, or had I accelerated faster than I did I think it's likely that we would have been T-boned at significant speed. Really not keen on testing Elon's claims on the safety of the Model S if I can avoid it.

I caught this on camera (yay dashcams). Here's the short 20 second video:

Too bad the resolution isn't good enough to see his plates, although it looks like he had temporary plates (or it was a dealer car, I don't know).

It wasn't super close but my wife was quite shaken for a bit. I have no idea how the driver could have been so distracted as to not see his light had been red for probably over 3 seconds already.

OP - your video is exactly why I'm trading in my 70D as soon as Tesla releases autopilot 2.0 with side view cameras which can brake the car for me if my error-prone human brain doesn't spot a red light runner like that in time.

Your video is almost exactly the situation MBZ demonstrates in a test video I saw yesterday (can't find the link at this moment) where the 2017 E-class stops itself by seeing the side traffic with left and right facing cameras when the driver fails to hit the brakes.

I had a family member get t-boned in a 540i years ago - the side airbags made his body look good in the casket - but the acceleration of his BMW to the right from the force of the vehicle hitting him from the left ripped his aorta off and he died at the scene of internal bleeding within minutes.

Glad you're alive.

Glad you are ok. The new Volvo Xcode 90 has a safety feature that brakes the car if you are turning left and it notices a car coming. The more safety features the better. I always try to look both ways...but it just takes one time to forget and abs timing....

I wonder if Tesla will quickly match Benz and Volvo's capabilities by adding side cameras very soon - or if we will see relative quiet from Tesla on autonomous driving for the next 18 months and then they will leap frog their rivals by bringing us hands-off door to door driving (even if they call it a beta and we get the lawyer screens telling us to keep our hands on the wheel, etc.).

Always a scary moment. I was once second in line at a red light. The car ahead of me started out when the light turned green for our direction. I followed as I normally would, only to catch a glimpse of something moving faster from my left than it should have been. I slammed on the brakes in time to see a car running the cross light and passing between me and the first car through the intersection. They never even slowed down. Easily my scariest moment behind the wheel.