Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closing frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't simply dropping the lid close it?

That would be awful. Does dropping your trunk or lift gate close it? This isn’t an engine compartment with some metal bar to prop it open. I want to be able to easily pull the trunk open with one hand when carrying groceries in the other and have it stay open when I let go. The problem when closing is the second latch required on front hoods. It really needs a motor to pull closed the second latch.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Closing the frunk, per the instructions, is really not difficult to do, in fact it’s very easy. After doing it once on my S, it became second nature. I don’t expect the 3 will be any different. Some of you are overthinking this.

The only caveat is if you’re giving the car to someone else (e.g. non-Tesla mechanic), you simply need to show them the closing technique if they have some need to open the frunk.

Closing the frunk, per the instructions, is really not difficult to do, in fact it’s very easy. After doing it once on my S, it became second nature. I don’t expect the 3 will be any different. Some of you are overthinking this.

The only caveat is if you’re giving the car to someone else (e.g. non-Tesla mechanic), you simply need to show them the closing technique if they have some need to open the frunk.
and make sure the kids REALLY get it. I mean, how many times do you have to say “Don’t slam the door” in the car before they stop?:D

I personally find it a pain that I can't close the frunk with one hand while holding something I just took out of it with the other.

Hard to believe that the car is this fragile.

I find it really odd how people like you find it to be so "fragile". I've opened and closed my frunk countless times in four years and it's solid as can be to me with no dents at all. My Tahoe hybrid also has an aluminum hood that I've had since new in 2008 and it's also solid with no dents and I've opened and closed it a lot, especially to add washer fluid in the winter. But I know aluminum is not steel and I've never closed them improperly like some people since I read and follow instructions.

How cool.
We drove from L.A. to Texas and back and a few weeks later I remembered we had a front trunk.
Still empty.

Easy to forget...

Tesla-Model-S-Facelift-2016-im-Test-Sitzprobe-1200x800-260777d6615bd0c9.jpg

Hard to forget...

Tesla-Model-S-60-Bags.jpg

That huge cavernous frunk is what I thought I was getting when I ordered RWD. Lol. I'm extremely thankful for the HEPA filter, though.

It takes very little pressure to close the frunk. I put my hands in the recommended locations and apply a very small amount of pressure until it latches. It's nothing like a CPR compression. It's very gentle and it's not going to cause any denting.

The Owners Manual gives detailed instructions (using 2 hands & pressure application points) on how to avoid damaging the hood. If the hood was sturdy, there would be no need for these precautions.
I wouldn't say it's fragile or sturdy. It's just a lightweight aluminum hood. If in fact regulations wouldn't allow an electric latch of any sort then the design is fine. I don't think it needs to be any thicker and heavier.

Maybe Tesla "engineers" shouldn't have been such cheap asses with their use of paper thin aluminum, and make a hood that can be closed easily and firmly, like the hood on my old 1971 Plymouth Valiant. Then this bending and denting wouldn't be an issue. For the near $40,000 this car will cost me, it shouldn't be made out of tinfoil.
Would you rather have another Plymouth? I think I would still take a $40,000 tinfoil car over your old Plymouth. Was your post supposed to be funny, or are you just stoned?