Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closing the console lid too rough warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
If you close the console lid too briskly, you get a warning on the screen! Did they run a sensor and wiring and computer code to train us to gently close the console lid? Who said in a meeting "I think we need a velocity sensor on the console lid latch to detect and nag about closing the lid to vigorously."? Did they think it would save money by reducing console lid warranty claims? Is it some kind of sick Easter egg? I do it all the time to show off the Tesla nanny state to passengers. I tell them Elon cares so much about this car, he wants me to treat it nicely. I'm almost afraid to slam the glovebox door, they might make me re-boot the car as punishment.

• Funny
Reactions: N5329K
If you close the console lid too briskly, you get a warning on the screen! Did they run a sensor and wiring and computer code to train us to gently close the console lid? Who said in a meeting "I think we need a velocity sensor on the console lid latch to detect and nag about closing the lid to vigorously."? Did they think it would save money by reducing console lid warranty claims? Is it some kind of sick Easter egg? I do it all the time to show off the Tesla nanny state to passengers. I tell them Elon cares so much about this car, he wants me to treat it nicely. I'm almost afraid to slam the glovebox door, they might make me re-boot the car as punishment.

Keep it up and he'll report you for auto abuse.

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
It's a testament to the insane amount of electronics integration in these cars. Like with any normal automaker it would just be a simple circuit that turns the light and off when the console lid switch is turned on. But with Tesla it's wired into the main computer for some reason. And with that warning message I can almost hear the engineers boasting, "look what we can do!" Same thing with the fact that pushing the car's horn temporarily pauses the music that's playing, insane amounts of integration.

Pertinent scene at 24:45 in: