Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closing the single electronic frunk latch experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I gotcha Ben, I tried to stop when I felt the electric latch start to grab. It doesn't seem to have enough strength to complete the pull beyond the initial grab as when pushing down. This may be behavior that was the same as the prior frunk, but I was under the impression that the electromechanical switch was a new iteration to meet the Euro NCAP tests, and was incorporated with the change from a double to a single latch.

I agree. Mine seems to have the same behavior. Maybe I'm missing it but it doesn't appear the frunk is closing or pulling shut in any automated way. Respectfully, it appears you are manually closing it.

Yea I'm not seeing anything new in that video. Looks like the same old latch system that's still prone to creasing.

I don't know about that. I definitely hear the electronic sound of the latch doing something to engage at the 8 second mark and at the 21 second mark in the video. (You can hear the sound at other times when the latch is being released, but at the 8 second mark and the 21 second mark the frunk hood is being closed, not opened.) I am almost certain my frunk latch does not make those electronic sounds when I'm closing it, and I'm pretty sure many other people have said there's don't either.

I agree, though, that it does not appear that the frunk hood is being pulled down, the way the rear hatch gets pulled down.

It does sound to me like something electronic is going on.

Right, it's like I said - it _almost_ feels like it's a soft-close system, but not quite. It's like the mechanism is there, but it's not fully utilized. There's definitely a lot more electromechanical action going on than on my old double latch P85.

OK. Sorry for the delay. I have been working a bunch, and had to wait to I literally had like 10 minutes to film a video. If the video is lacking, I had to find something to prop my phone by my lonesome while I opened and closed the trunk.

Feel free to tell me I am way off on this, this is my first MS and I am just going from my recollection of the model S I test drove and have seen briefly in the gallery. Here is what I tried to do in the video.
1) I pushed on the remote so you could hear the electronic latch mechanism
2) once the trunk was open, pushed it again via the remote to open again, to make sure the sound electric latch sound was audible
3) started to close the trunk until I felt like the electric latch started to grab, I stopped pushing at that point, when I pushed the rest of the way, it felt like it simply closed without any electric latch.
(I felt that pushing right through might be too quick to hear the sound, or the electric sound might be obscured by the closing sound.)

Thanks for any feedback or insights:

Opening Frunk - YouTube

That's exactly what I was describing in my last post to this thread. The only thing I did differently was to stop between the first latch firing and the second latch, um, latching, to lift up on the hood: that's where you'll find that the first latch prevents you from raising the hood more than an inch or two from where it sits under its own weight.