Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNBC's Santelli on Tesla Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Curt Renz

Mar 5, 2013
USA
Back in the nineties I used to interview commodities trader Rick Santelli on my Chicago based TV financial news program. Then he moved to CNBC as a reporter/commentator. He has often lauded the free market and bashed government interference.

The first linked video below is from a year ago in which he praises the free market and then laughs at college students who recommended the stock of Tesla Motors. The second linked video is from today in which he defends the rule of law regarding the New Jersey decision to ban direct sales of Tesla cars.

Santelli 3/15/13: Santelli Loves Natural Gas - CNBC

Santelli 3/12/14: http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?play=1&video=3000255803

If as he says “everybody” today is talking about Tesla, then I suggest the New Jersey situation does far more good than harm for the Tesla brand.

Back in the nineties I used to interview commodities trader Rick Santelli on my Chicago based TV financial news program. Then he moved to CNBC as a reporter/commentator. He has often lauded the free market and bashed government interference.

The first linked video below is from a year ago in which he praises the free market and then laughs at college students who recommended the stock of Tesla Motors. The second linked video is from today in which he defends the rule of law regarding the New Jersey decision to ban direct sales of Tesla cars.

Santelli 3/15/13: Santelli Loves Natural Gas - CNBC

Santelli 3/12/14: http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?play=1&video=3000255803

If as he says “everybody” today is talking about Tesla, then I suggest the New Jersey situation does far more good than harm for the Tesla brand.

Well, lemme tellya, if I had to choose between Mr Rick and Mr Curt, based on these two snippets alone* - no contest.

Rick gets a B for enthusiastic play but an E for poor research and inconsistency.

* Have very little exposure to cnbc normally. Tend to distrust people who scream. They might be cone-men. .-)

Watched the second video – or more correctly the portion I could see – since it cuts off before he is finished screaming like a little boy at the camera. And he certainly seems to know who his daddy is! Let’s just say I disagree. He can scream and shout all he wants about how crony capitalism is the way to go. I will still disagree. In regards to this aspect of car sales, it should obviously be handled through a free market system.

Oh god, I was worried when I clicked on this thread title that it would say Santelli had come over to our side. I'm happy to see that he hasn't. If he had, it might have been time to sell.

I can't think of a single thing I've ever heard him say which has been correct. I haven't heard him say much, of course, but what I've heard have really been doozies. Comforts me to know he's still on the other side.

At least he can adapt...

any my factual information and or prior positions he has taken to meet today's stupid rant.

Its comical to see him bring on guests and act as though a spontaneous conversation that fits his opinions is happening.

Ditto on any idiot that has to yell to get his point across. Those who can't trade, become pundits.

That being said, this is great fodder for a yet another new short squeeze. Wonder what TM needs to bankroll next! :)

all this proves is
1. santelli is a better TV pundit than he was a trader and
2. he is wise enough not to be bound by past errors.
YMMV

Once again Musk reveals his brilliance. He delays dealing with the New Jersey legislature in order to get a national laughingstock like Christie to fire the first shot. It may be more clever than Lincoln enticing Davis to order cannon fire on Fort Sumter.

Even a Tesla scoffer like Santelli informs us that "everybody" is talking about Tesla. That's what Musk wants. The media attention and resulting public indignation are far more valuable than potential car sales in New Jersey. Any lost sales there can be diverted to Europe and Asia.

Last edited:
The first of those videos was funny at the time, and it's just hilaaaaaaaarious in retrospect :p I love it when ever it shows up. It's almost as good as Elon with the champagne.

Good (funny) discussion here Santelli Loves NG (but not TSLA) One of only 2 threads I have ever started. That was EXACTLY one year ago. And what was a share of a T$LA that day? Around $35.00 :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Once again Musk reveals his brilliance. He delays dealing with the New Jersey legislature in order to get a national laughingstock like Christie to fire the first shot.

Also a laughingstock like Santelli to fire more shots.

In the second video, I thought he was going to say that bad laws should be changed rather than broken (which I agree with), but then he says "you can't just change the rules even if it makes sense," which is idiotic. He is performing a great service for Tesla by showing a national TV audience that the Tesla opposition are idiots.