Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Co-pilot for Tesla app - Official Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All!

I'm excited to announce the "Co-pilot for Tesla" app is now available on the Apple App Store!

We hope you get a chance to try it out! It's a free app (always will be), created by Tesla owners for Tesla owners, looking to build something great for the community.

Disclaimer: we've released Co-pilot as v0.1, with so much more in store. Bear with us as we iterate, fix bugs, and improve the app. We felt that if the Co-pilot app can increase the safety margin while using Autopilot by just a few percent, it's worth making the app available now rather than perfect. (Android users - we're working on developing the Android version too! )

The most direct way to get our attention is email: [email protected]

A more formal introduction to the app:

Available today, “Co-pilot for Tesla” offers Model-S and Model-X Tesla owners an iOS app that improves Autopilot/Autosteer safety by identifying roads that are frequently or infrequently Autopiloted, and alerting drivers of upcoming road segments where Autopilot has been known to fail.

Through Co-pilot’s crowdsourced platform, users can actively help others by contributing specific locations where they have experienced Autopilot perform an action that is illegal or has the potential to trigger an accident with other vehicles, cyclists, or road structures. Just by driving with the Co-pilot app, users will be passively, and anonymously, contributing where they are successfully engaging Autopilot.

In addition to enhancing Autopilot awareness and safety for the community, the Co-pilot app connects to the owner’s Tesla vehicle(s) to provide individualized charts and data of their recent trips, including energy efficiency, route information, charge state, and Autopilot usage.

"We’re in uncharted waters with auto-manufacturers pushing at breakneck speeds to reach full autonomous driving. While cameras, sensors, and semi-autonomous technology improves overall driving safety, we still have a dangerous gap when systems fail and human intervention is required to take control of the vehicle within a split-second notice. With the Co-pilot app, it’s advanced warning system, and Tesla drivers across the country contributing, we can work together to help prevent some of these situations from becoming accidents." said Jeff Lee, founder of Co-pilot and mobile development company Formula One Labs.

Please visit Co-pilot for Tesla for more information.

For those interested in technical details, app permissions, security, privacy, please check out the FAQs on the website with common questions and answers: Co-pilot for Tesla

Featured3Across2.png

Was looking at your app, is there a way to distinguish between AP1 and AP2? From what I see / hear AP2 has more issues, so I'm hoping there's a toggle so I can see only AP2 issues as the hardware and implementation are vastly different between the two.

Reactions: HumanGenome
Was looking at your app, is there a way to distinguish between AP1 and AP2? From what I see / hear AP2 has more issues, so I'm hoping there's a toggle so I can see only AP2 issues as the hardware and implementation are vastly different between the two.

Hi BigD0g - thanks for checking out the app! You're absolutely right that AP1, AP2, and versions within AP1 and AP2 will behave differently. While not yet in the v0.1 version, it's on our near-term roadmap to add filtering and/or indication through the UI to distinguish this better. Additionally, as more folks use the app and utilize the thumbs-up/thumbs-down mechanism (which is in the v0.1 app), we'll be able to use this data to help identify if a particular caution/warning point is affecting a specific version or multiple/all versions, and more accurately show/hide the caution/warning points this way.

Reactions: BigD0g
Hi BigD0g - thanks for checking out the app! You're absolutely right that AP1, AP2, and versions within AP1 and AP2 will behave differently. While not yet in the v0.1 version, it's on our near-term roadmap to add filtering and/or indication through the UI to distinguish this better. Additionally, as more folks use the app and utilize the thumbs-up/thumbs-down mechanism (which is in the v0.1 app), we'll be able to use this data to help identify if a particular caution/warning point is affecting a specific version or multiple/all versions, and more accurately show/hide the caution/warning points this way.

Hi BigD0g - we just released the v0.1.4 update which contains Vehicle specific alerting!

With this feature, unconfirmed alerts will be displayed with a 'gray' banner (unconfirmed meaning it has not yet been "thumbs up'ed" by a user with the same model and HW version vehicle). Once the Caution or Hazard point has been confirmed, the alert banner changes from gray to yellow(Caution), or red(Warning), for the users having the same model/HW version. If enough users "thumbs down" a hazard point, it will automatically be filtered out and not shown in the app for that specific model/HW version combination.

Hope you like the update!

Reactions: BigD0g