Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold tire pressure recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like now that the temperature is dropping my 'morning' tire pressure (after sitting in a cold garage) is around 39 psi. I'm wondering what people are using as their cold target. I was thinking of waiting for a cold overnight and pumping them up to 42 psi cold without driving first thing in the morning. It's not freezing yet so I suspect the pressure will drop even further in the coming weeks.

42psi cold, 45psi warmed.

I've been having issues with one of the valves that is slowly leaking out.

I drive to warm the tires up to ~45psi and the one with the issue sits at 42psi. I topped it off with a cigarette lighter pump last night. Hopefully the issue is gone once Kaltire takes a look.

Looks like now that the temperature is dropping my 'morning' tire pressure (after sitting in a cold garage) is around 39 psi. I'm wondering what people are using as their cold target. I was thinking of waiting for a cold overnight and pumping them up to 42 psi cold without driving first thing in the morning. It's not freezing yet so I suspect the pressure will drop even further in the coming weeks.

Recommended cold temperature is on the driver's side wheel well. "Cold" temperature is generally considered ambient temperature. Between the winter and the summer, or between Fremont temperatures and your temps, it is possible that the pressure drops a few PSI and should be raised.

The temperature of a tire that has been driven on the interstate for an hour will be significantly higher than the cold temp.

For savety of tires it is not needed to highwn up the pressure, if calculated back to 18degrC / 65degrF you have the 42 psi, you are safe.
For axiradius you can fill it to 42 at for instance freesing point ambiënt tmp.
But electric cars and bicicles have high advice pressure for axitradius reason.
The safe lowest pressure for the speed used and weights on tires, is much lower, even with the higher weigt of electric cars.