Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collected the M3P! First impressions and a few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging Connectors

Basically
Tesla Mobile Connector/UMC with 13A/3pin plug - charges at 10A; Commando not included - available from Tesla
Type 2 Cable of random length (normally >4m) and colour (normally grey or blue) - charges Model 3 at up to 32A (~7.4kW) single phase, 16A (11kW) three phase.
So the type 2 cable is only capable of charging at 11Kw max? I know this is a noob question but I don't care as that's what I am. What if you are at a 22Kw or high type 3 charging point?

You'll get 11Kw :)

For higher speeds you'll need to plugin with CCS.
Thanks, I genuinely didn't know this.

It is one massive drawback that the EV world will have to overcome before it becomes the norm. Some things will have to be simplified and more like their ICE counterparts.

I've never been to a petrol station and thought "I wonder if I have the right hose to fill my car up fully"

So I'll not be able to charge at over 11Kw unless at a supercharger?

Thanks, I genuinely didn't know this.

It is one massive drawback that the EV world will have to overcome before it becomes the norm. Some things will have to be simplified and more like their ICE counterparts.

I've never been to a petrol station and thought "I wonder if I have the right hose to fill my car up fully"

So I'll not be able to charge at over 11Kw unless at a supercharger?
Luckily, using the wrong hose on your Tesla won't require draining of the fuel tank and/or an engine rebuild!

Not necessarily a supercharger, there are non-Tesla 50kW public chargers that will use the CCS standard.

Luckily, using the wrong hose on your Tesla won't require draining of the fuel tank and/or an engine rebuild!

Not necessarily a supercharger, there are non-Tesla 50kW public chargers that will use the CCS standard.
Thanks, but I don't need another cable, these will be ones with cables attached I assume?

Also, I can relate to the first line, having done exactly that. You'll never need an engine rebuild though misfeuling a car isn't that bad. That being said, as a diesel driver it's a mistake you only ever make once!

Thanks, but I don't need another cable, these will be ones with cables attached I assume?

Also, I can relate to the first line, having done exactly that. You'll never need an engine rebuild though misfeuling a car isn't that bad. That being said, as a diesel driver it's a mistake you only ever make once!
Yeah, CCS cables are attached to the units. No need for additional purchases.

Yes, front mudflaps installed and rear ones in the boot!

I think the ones in the boot are what Tesla call 'splash guards'. They can be attached to the mud flaps (i.e. the ones already fitted at the front) for extra protection (see below). Tesla don't seem to provide rear mud guards. Although the splash guards provide extra protection, they also scrape when driving over speed bumps etc.

Tesla-flaps.jpg

However, there is no blue commando connector with the UMC, only the 3 pin 13A. I thought both are included

I didn't know this? What cables do you get, I'll need to order anything missing

You can order these from [email protected]
Send an email with your VIN and they will send you a quote
If you're going in for a service or getting a ranger visit for any snags they can bring them to you - saves on delivery costs.

Reactions: Neilio
You get the standard 13A adapter on the "granny" cable plus a type 2 cable for plugging in 7kw fast chargers.

The Tesla "granny" or mobile charger will allow up to a 3.7kW charge rate with the correct 16A adapter on it which is clever. Is only 2.3kW with the 13A plug.

Oh and don't forget as you don't get anything to help with punctures so I purchased a pump from Amazon. Some also buy the temporary plug kits as well.
Has that changed? I picked up last December and didn’t get a commando 16A charger, but when I emailed them to say it was missing they posted one out to me without any hassle

The Tesla "granny" or mobile charger will allow up to a 3.7kW charge rate with the correct 16A adapter on it which is clever. Is only 2.3kW with the 13A plug.

The adapters have a couple of extra pins, that the UMC uses to identify which adapter is plugged in.

The 11 kW AC limit is a limit of the car, not the chargers, which are often 22 kW (32A 3 phase).

AC charging (so using the Type 2 lead) is limited by the AC to DC charger fitted to the model 3.

The Type 2 connector itself is rated for 63 A three phase, so 43 kW, but the model 3 will only ever draw 11 kW.

DC charging (using the CCS connector, specifically the two DC pins at the bottom) bypasses the car's inbuilt charger, the AC to DC conversion is done by the charger itself - this includes Superchargers as well as any other 'rapid' chargers.

Have a look on zap map for all the various third party chargers out there.

Luke

Last edited:
So the type 2 cable is only capable of charging at 11Kw max? I know this is a noob question but I don't care as that's what I am. What if you are at a 22Kw or high type 3 charging point?

Type 3 charging point? Do you mean Mode 3, ie an AC home wall connector/charge point? Nobody bothers with different Mode terminology, its not important to know that a UMC is Mode 2 and a Wall connector/charge point is Mode 3 (DC is Mode 4 for completeness) . What is important is that your car comes with a couple of Type 2 solutions for AC charging. For DC, its all attached to the charger.

Its pretty simple. Type 2 for AC, CCS for DC.

For AC (up to 11kW on Model 3) its Type 2, either your own cable, or tethered to the charge point. The Type 2 is European standard since around 2013 for public charge points so you probably will not encounter the other AC cable, a Type 1, except on non public charge points owned by people with typically a Japanese EV.

For DC (typically > ~50kW) it is CCS which is always connected to the charger. You sometimes have to choose between the CCS cable and another, but CCS is easily recognisable.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: s88ats and Neilio
Type 3 charging point? Do you mean Mode 3, ie an AC home wall connector/charge point? Nobody bothers with different Mode terminology, its not important to know that a UMC is Mode 2 and a Wall connector/charge point is Mode 3 (DC is Mode 4 for completeness) . What is important is that your car comes with a couple of Type 2 solutions for AC charging. For DC, its all attached to the charger.

Its pretty simple. Type 2 for AC, CCS for DC.

For AC (up to 11kW on Model 3) its Type 2, either your own cable, or tethered to the charge point. The Type 2 is European standard since around 2013 for public charge points so you probably will not encounter the other AC cable, a Type 1, except on non public charge points owned by people with typically a Japanese EV.

For DC (typically > ~50kW) it is CCS which is always connected to the charger. You sometimes have to choose between the CCS cable and another, but CCS is easily recognisable.
It’s simple once you know. It’s still overly confusing if you’re just getting your first EV like me and I am certain it’ll put some people off. Especially as the ICE world only has one rule: don’t stick the green cable in a diesel

It’s simple once you know. It’s still overly confusing if you’re just getting your first EV like me and I am certain it’ll put some people off. Especially as the ICE world only has one rule: don’t stick the green cable in a diesel
For example. I want to granny charge from a standard wall outlet in continental Europe. What do I need?